AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

Food photo tips from a gluten-free Local Guide

Local Guide @DDuangnet helps guide gluten-free eaters to great restaurants through her contributions on Google Maps. In her reviews, she notes how restaurants handle food allergies and dietary restrictions to help others find places where they can safely eat.

Diana also takes wonderful photos of the dishes and drinks she tries. Whether it’s gluten-free pizza or an amazing cocktail, she wants others to know what they can expect from their order. She also tries to include photos of the menu that notes any gluten-free, vegetarian, or vegan options.

Here are some of Diana’s best tips for taking excellent food photos.

Lighting

Caption: A photo of a French toast sampler served at Fig Tree Cafe Pacific Beach in San Diego, California, United States. The dish includes one topped with raspberries, another topped with blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, and the third topped with sliced bananas. (Local Guide Diana Duangnet)Caption: A photo of a French toast sampler served at Fig Tree Cafe Pacific Beach in San Diego, California, United States. The dish includes one topped with raspberries, another topped with blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, and the third topped with sliced bananas. (Local Guide Diana Duangnet)

“Have good lighting! Natural lighting is the best, but if that’s not available, find the best lit area of the restaurant,” Diana said. “Don’t use flash because it will create awful shadows. If I need more lighting, I have my friends use their phone flashlight and hold the light over the food.”  

Angles

Caption: A photo of a burger topped with bacon, cheese, sauce, and more on a gluten free bun next to a pile of fries from Honest Burgers in London, United Kingdom. (Local Guide Diana Duangnet)Caption: A photo of a burger topped with bacon, cheese, sauce, and more on a gluten free bun next to a pile of fries from Honest Burgers in London, United Kingdom. (Local Guide Diana Duangnet)

“Play with angles. I like to shoot from various sides at different depths and from above from different heights and choose the best photo from those,” Diana said.

Background

Caption: A photo of a hand holding up a gluten-free crepe from The Crepe Cart in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States. (Local Guide Diana Duangnet)Caption: A photo of a hand holding up a gluten-free crepe from The Crepe Cart in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States. (Local Guide Diana Duangnet)

“I like to use the background to either focus on the food or use it to tell a ‘story’ and capture the overall feel of the place I’m dining at,” Diana said. “I either shoot with a neutral background, such as a wooden table, and make the food the highlight, or use the background to show the bigger picture, such as holding up a drink at a rooftop bar with the city in the background.”

What are your best tips for taking great food photos? Share them with us in the comments below and we may feature them in an upcoming article!

23 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Food photo tips from a gluten-free Local Guide

that looks delicouse

Level 5

Everything looks yummy!

Level 9

IMG-20181031-WA0014.jpg

Biryani with friendsBiryani with friends

Hello @AriMar useful tips two days back we ate Biryani with friends these are the shots in my phone.... Thank you for sharing useful tips with us...

Level 2

very nice looking very delicious 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Betreff: Food photo tips from a gluten-free Local Guide

sehr schöne foodfotos,klasse licht und schärfentiefe,sehr gute arbeit,respekt

lg ingo

Level 8

Look awesome

Foodie Lover, I`m The man behind the pan, love cooking and love to eat. MakanMasak
Level 6

thanks for tips, later i try the tips

Level 10

Hi @AriMar!

I don't have a lot of pictures of dishes ... I usually start eating right away and only at the end reminds me that I should have taken a picture first!

This are my best (or at least I think so!) :

London : continental breakfastLondon : continental breakfastUtah: tipical hamburgher with fries-PHOTO BY @davidhynoUtah: tipical hamburgher with fries-PHOTO BY @davidhynoItaly : this is a real pizza!Italy : this is a real pizza!Photosession during Connect Live 2018Photosession during Connect Live 2018

I know that I can still improve the quality of the shots, and for this I want to thank @crissibeth@Xtramoney and @Christina-NYC for best tips during Connect 2018!

Bon appetit,

David

Level 8

@AriMar Amazing foods..Thanks for sharing the valuable tips.