KarenVChin's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Flowers of Hawaii

Caption: Some of the beautiful flowers that are grown on the Hawaiian island of Kauai. Photo; @karenvchinCaption: Some of the beautiful flowers that are grown on the Hawaiian island of Kauai. Photo; @KarenVChin

One of the things I like to do while I am on vacation is to take photos of interesting, or unique, plants that I don’t normally see in my everyday life, here in the San Francisco Bay Area.  It’s always when I least expect it which my iPhone 8 Plus definitely comes in handy.

Caption: "Aloha" in Hawaiian means "Welcome," "Hello," "Goodbye,"  "Love."  It is the word to greet someone. Photo: @karenvchinCaption: "Aloha" in Hawaiian means "Welcome," "Hello," "Goodbye," "Love." It is the word to greet someone. Photo: @KarenVChin

On my last two trips to Hawaii to the island of Kauai last year, I saw, by chance, some gorgeous, eye-catching flowers and foliage that I literally had to stop and snap their photos. Local Guides Connect Moderator @ermest calls these “5-petals beauties.”

Because it gets so much rain, Kauai is known as the “Garden Isle” for its lush green, tropical landscapes. It's the oldest island of the Hawaiian island chain. The island’s dirt is very fertile because the island is volcanic in origin. It rains at some point per day while also getting sun. You can literally stick a plant cutting into the ground and it will grow without much help because of the amount of rain, sun, and tropical humidity.

Hawaii officially became the 50th state, and the last to join statehood in the United States, on August 21, 1959. It is one of the smallest U.S. states, and it is the only state made up entirely of islands. Located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, the islands are the tops of volcanoes, some of them still active.

Caption:  Located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, Kauai is the most laid back of the 6 inhabited islands of Hawaii.  Photo: Google MapsCaption: Located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, Kauai is the most laid back of the 6 inhabited islands of Hawaii. Photo: Google Maps

Depending on the weather and the jet stream, it can be a 5 to 6-hour nonstop flight from the West Coast (or what Hawaiians called "The Mainland").

Caption: Many areas of Kauai consists of tropical rainforests with breathtaking waterfalls: Opaekaa Falls. Photo: @karenvchinCaption: Many areas of Kauai consists of tropical rainforests with breathtaking waterfalls: Opaekaa Falls. Photo: @KarenVChin

Wish you could smell these!Caption: Some of the fragrant blossoms  (Clockwise:  called Juhi (Jasminum auriculatum), Pua keni keni (Fagraea berteriana), and Queen Emma Lily (Crinum augustum) )that can be found in Hawaii. Not necessarily native, but can be easily grown in Hawaii's perfect tropical climate. Photo: @karenvchinCaption: Some of the fragrant blossoms (Clockwise: called Juhi (Jasminum auriculatum), Pua keni keni (Fagraea berteriana), and Queen Emma Lily (Crinum augustum) )that can be found in Hawaii. Not necessarily native, but can be easily grown in Hawaii's perfect tropical climate. Photo: @KarenVChin

Some of most fragrant blossoms that are grown in Hawaii are also grown to make Hawaiian leis and fragrant oils for perfumes, lotions, and natural room deodorizers. Pua keni keni (Fagraea berteriana) is used in lei making. The flower turns from white to orange or a golden yellow as it ages. Very fragrant.

The 7-petals white flower, called Juhi (Jasminum auriculatum), has an incredibly strong fragrant jasmine smell. It smells divine.

Some of the different varieties of Tropical Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis)Caption:  Each of these Tropical Hibiscuses just had to be photographed. No filter. Photo: @karenvchinCaption: Each of these Tropical Hibiscuses just had to be photographed. No filter. Photo: @KarenVChin

Some of the different varieties of Double Tropical Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis)

Caption: These Double Tropical Hibiscuses are breathtakingly beautiful. Don't they look like peonies or camellias? Photo:  @karenvchinCaption: These Double Tropical Hibiscuses are breathtakingly beautiful. Don't they look like peonies or camellias? Photo: @KarenVChin

Some of the different varieties of Bicolor Tropical Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis)Caption: YESSS! These are for real. I never saw Bicolor Tropical Hibiscus flowers before I traveled to Kauai.  I was in complete awe when I saw these varieties. In person, the colors are even more vibrant. Photo: @karenvchinCaption: YESSS! These are for real. I never saw Bicolor Tropical Hibiscus flowers before I traveled to Kauai. I was in complete awe when I saw these varieties. In person, the colors are even more vibrant. Photo: @KarenVChin

Did you know some types of orchids can be grown literally in trees with just air and rainwater?Caption: These "living dendrobium orchid arrangements" are growing literally on these trees.  Photos: @karenvchinCaption: These "living dendrobium orchid arrangements" are growing literally on these trees. Photos: @KarenVChin

Grown for their showy leaves. These grow like weeds outdoors in Hawaii.

Caption:  Monstera deliciosa - grown for their leaves for interior decor. Caladium (Caladium bicolor) - Elephant Ear plant. On the mainland this is considered an indoor houseplant. But in Hawaii, it is easily grown outdoors for their interesting color leaves. Photos: @karenvchinCaption: Monstera deliciosa - grown for their leaves for interior decor. Caladium (Caladium bicolor) - Elephant Ear plant. On the mainland this is considered an indoor houseplant. But in Hawaii, it is easily grown outdoors for their interesting color leaves. Photos: @KarenVChin

These blossoms made me immediately stop to take their photos. I don't know their common plant names. Do you?

Caption:  Don't know the names of these plants? They have no fragrance. Let me know. Photo Collage: @karenvchinCaption: Don't know the names of these plants? They have no fragrance. Let me know. Photo Collage: @KarenVChin

Do you also enjoy taking photos of plants while on vacation too? Have you visited Hawaii?Caption:  It never gets tiring. Another early morning in paradise. Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii. Photo: @karenvchinCaption: It never gets tiring. Another early morning in paradise. Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii. Photo: @KarenVChin

Cheers,

Karen

See more of my tropical flowers photos in my Flowers of Hawaii Google Photos album

Kauai, Hawaii, USA
76 comments
Google Moderator

Re: Flowers of Hawaii

Hello @KarenVChin,

And thank you for sharing these amazing photos!

The flowers look like they are out of this Earth. This is why I like island nature because everything is unique and beautiful in its own way. Thanks to the different climate conditions not only the flora but the fauna too is marvelous.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@MoniDi, hey, you are quick! Glad you enjoyed my Hawaiian flower photos.  I would agree these flora are out of this world.  I can honestly say they look even more beautiful in person. 

Cheers,

Karen

Level 10

So much serenity, calmness, beauty, colours, etc in your photos @KarenVChin! I can wait to start taking floral photographs!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just can't wait...

Connect Moderator

Hi @KarenVChin

I follow your amazing posts and pics about Hawaii and their flora. I am impressed! Hawaiian nature looks like a huge greenhouse!

As I can see, there is Cymbidium Rievaulx in the right upper picture. In the right down picture is Tillandsia Cyanea. It's my guess. I'm not a pro)). Maybe there is someone who is a professional biologist in the LG community, right?

Thank you for sharing with us!

Jane 

Level 10

@KarenVChin

Hi Karen

Thanks for a wonderful post n flowers and so many lovely pictures. ( I too have several flowers Captured on my camera)

You can see the dew on it. I don't know the name of flowerYou can see the dew on it. I don't know the name of flower

IMG_20181126_213254_985.jpg

Thanks & Regards

aaryesdee

R S Dev
Connect Moderator

@KarenVChin this is fantastic and Hawaii is such a beautiful place.  The flora I see here lifts my spirit. I grew up with my dad having flowers around the home and I fell in love and started planting too.

Connect Moderator

Hermoso post @KarenVChin, muy colorido y con buena información de la isla, cada vez que leo de ella me dan mas ganas de visitarla, supongo que tarde o temprano la visitaré, me pasó  lo mismo con la Isla de Pascuas en su momento, hasta que pude viajar a ella, tiene el mismo origen volcánico que Hawái, no tiene la exuberancia de naturaleza, pero si varias flores son similares, aquí una muestra.

Flores de la isla de PascuasFlores de la isla de Pascuas

Farid

Level 10

Former Google Contributor

Oh, @KarenVChin! Hawaii looks breathtaking! I still have not been, but it's definitely on my bucket list.