Mongoose's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

First Thursday Cape Town Art Gallery walk

On the First Thursday of every month , many and most of the Art Galleries in Cape Town Stay open until late. in the Central Business district. Galleries have special featured artists , some local , some international , performance art , new Contemporary art pieces and a wide and diverse range for everyone to enjoy. All you have to do is find one gallery in the centre of Cape Town and ask for a First Thursday map , and then you will get a map and listing of all the galleries participating that evening. Many restaurants , clothing shops , street buskers and musicians can be found between galleries , people walk all over the place and you will get wonderfully lost and find some new friends and interesting places in and around  Cape Town.  Up to 32 Galleries  Participate , , sometimes local music groups will have pop up shows in Alleyways , Artists will do magic tricks on street corners , protests by Anonymous and Mimes and Street dancers .. All free and all unique and will take away your idea of a stuff art gallery and make you come alive and feel the rhythm and heart beat of a very diverse and crazy Cape Town

My Photo gallery covering First Thursday in Cape Town
https://paulwatson.smugmug.com/First-THursday-Cape-Town

A video I made for one of the First Thursday evenings .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R991_eDb4gI&t=125s

A public piano with people watchingA public piano with people watching

Poet , Photographer , Artist , Videographer , Sailor .
Cape Town, South Africa
4 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: First Thursday Cape Town Art Gallery walk

Hi @Mongoose,

Welcome to Connect!

Wow this is awesome! Thanks for sharing an insight to the art culture in Cape Town. Even though I've been to Cape Town many times, I've missed this event. I'll be sure to add this to my next visit! I really enjoyed your photographs and the video! Your post is a brilliant way of showcasing what is on offer for other Local Guides interested in visiting!  

That said, having traveled the world, would you agree that Cape Town is one of the most spectacular cities?

PS: I will move your post to the Travel section. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

Cape Town is a unique city . It has a character of its own.  I sometimes look at Cape Town as a whole load of smaller cities all next to each other , and some far apart. It has so many different facets to it , the geology , the history , the weather and even the people. Are varied and unique , like a whole pot of spicy foods all mixed up and while still holding their own culture and identity , they are vastly different in so many ways.

Cape Town has its problems , but it has this awesome way of the people coming together as a big wonderful unit and fixing and sorting out problems.. Its almost like the people here are at their best when under very bad circumstances. But they always pull through , with a massive smile.

Cape Town had devastating fires that had member of the public stomping out fires on mountain slopes in dangerous conditions to save communities and houses of people they never met.
Cape Town almost ran out of water last year , the locals and most of us still conserve water by using pool water to flush toilets and having short showers , no baths , and storing rainwater and using grey water to water gardens.  Climate change has had a sever impact on our water supply .
The oceans currents are changing and water levels have risen , and Cape Town has felt this already , certain beaches have changed in shape and eroded badly in other spots. The locals have started to fix and support eroded areas and help where possible . 
 Cape Town is both breathtakingly beautiful and also very dangerous at times.  Massive Waves , Extremely strong winds , Very hot sunny days that will burn even normal skins. Fires , floods , and even Roits and Deadly viral break outs. This is the reality , but ask any tourist or visitor  , and you will hear how friendly , informative and helpful  Capetonians are even when constantly faced with threats and disaster.

Cape Town has it all , and even then , it has loads more.. Its a city of Character

Me on Top of Lions Head in Cape Town , one of the most spectacular Hikes and views that can be done by most people. People hike up with thier babies and picnic baskets on full moon nights to enjoy the spectacular sceneryMe on Top of Lions Head in Cape Town , one of the most spectacular Hikes and views that can be done by most people. People hike up with thier babies and picnic baskets on full moon nights to enjoy the spectacular scenery

Poet , Photographer , Artist , Videographer , Sailor .
Former Google Contributor

Thanks @Mongoose, this reminded me of so many fond memories I have of the city that has it all! 😁

Cape Town is not what it was back in the day, but I still enjoy so many aspects of it, today. It absolutely has something to offer anyone looking to visit. I particularly enjoy the wine routes on Route 62. Feel free to check out my post. I think this is the perfect spot to showcase some of your photos. 

PS: Don't forget to tag Local Guides in your posts by writing @ before the name.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

Good