Shafiinlight's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Fire & Mercury Discharge Tube under Electromagnet

Images taken using redmi note5 pro mobile. IMG_20181011_183653.jpgIMG_20180929_103957.jpgIMG_20180929_104006.jpg

Kalamassery, Kochi, Kerala, India
8 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Fire & Mercury Discharge Tube under Electromagnet

Hi @Shafiinlight,

Thank you for sharing your photos. They look great! What are we looking at? Could you give us some tips on how to make the colors pop up like in your photos? Have you applied any filter?

By the way, you can check the favorite posts from the previous week.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Thank you very much for your comment. These are unedited photos taken using my Redmi note 5pro phone. Colours are natural. That mercury discharge tube contains small amount of neon gas. When we applies strong magnetic field (15000 Gauss) on discharge tube it produce vibrant colours as shown in the pics.

Thanks for sharing @Shafiinlight, this looks so cool, almost unreal. 

It looks like something straight out of movie.

Don't forget when responding to others make sure to tag them (by writing @ before their name) on a post, so they can receive notifications that you are communicating with them.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@MortenSI Thank you very much for your comment. It is a mercury discharge tube contains very small amount of neon gas. Without magnetic field this tube shines as pale blue colour. With the help of a powerful magnet we can see the neon red emission.

Very interesting @Shafiinlight. It is probably not something you just go ahead and create in your kitchen at home. It looks like it is done in a lab, is it at your workplace? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@MortenSI Yes you are right. It is my lab.

It looks very cool @Shafiinlight. Do you make a lot of these colourful experiments, or was this a rare occasion? 

Level 8

It is a spectroscopy experiment setup named Zeeman effect.  Spectroscopy experiments are always colourful.