ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Feeling of sun - How do you capture your sunset?

"I will never use my professional camera to take a direct photo of the sun. Sunset and sunrise are beautiful, but may burn the sensor of your camera"

This was the sense - I am not able to reach the post - of a reply, in a post of beautiful sunsets, that a professional photographer gave to us, Local Guides posting photos over photos of sunsets and sunrises.

Caption: A view of the sun through the fog, minutes before the sunset - Local Guide @ermestCaption: A view of the sun through the fog, minutes before the sunset - Local Guide @ErmesT

Reading the reply, a bell rang in my head, and I had a flashback of 30 years ago, when the video-cameras used the cathode tube. I can not count the amount of them that I had to replace, the tube burned by static lights, after hours and hours spent filming ballet lessons.

The message was clear in my mind: "if you take a picture of the sun, you take the risk to damage your camera". Clear and loud.

With this in mind, I almost ended to take pictures of the sun, trying to capture the essence of it. The feeling of a sunset, or a sunrise.

The light of the sunrise is quite difficult to manage, bright and sharp, if you want to take a picture of something, but is perfect if you want to give to someone the "feeling" of a sunrise. Strong, dark, long shadows.

The light of the sunset is difficult too, but is a bit softer, hot.

I tried several different ways:

Clouds: This is the easier way. Clouds are on the sky, where also the sun is. The clouds can be a screen, or a reflexion. Both are nice and interesting.

Caption - Golden sky at sunset - Local Guide @ermestCaption - Golden sky at sunset - Local Guide @ErmesT

Beautiful, isn't it?

Reflexion, is an interesting way, if you are in a city, if you are surrounded by tall buildings. The light is coming down in the canyons of the roads, bouncing between the buildings. The top of the buildings still lighted by the sun, while you are in the shadow

Caption - Sunrise at Union Square - Local Guide @ermestCaption - Sunrise at Union Square - Local Guide @ErmesTCaption - Sunrise reflection - San Francisco - Local guide @ermestCaption - Sunrise reflection - San Francisco - Local guide @ErmesT

Hiding the sun behind the subject, capturing the shape only, with a beautiful sky in the background

Caption - Sunset at Treviso - Local Guide @ermestCaption - Sunset at Treviso - Local Guide @ErmesT

or, that is what I like more, just giving the feeling of a sunset

Caption: Wood - Local Guide @ermestCaption: Wood - Local Guide @ErmesT

And you? Which one is your "feeling of the sun"?

Do you want to share it here?

Tagging @PoliMC for a feedback

I have made a small album, with some of my photos about "feeling the sun"

[EDIT]: don't forget to check the resume of the thread in this beautifil video made by @Tejal 

Treviso, TV, Italia
355 comments
Level 8

Sunrise

"Every sunrise is an invitation for us to arise and brighten someone's day." — Richelle E. GoodrichView from railway platform..View from railway platform..

Photographic momentPhotographic moment

Small settlements on a river plain(seasonal river hence currently dried)Small settlements on a river plain(seasonal river hence currently dried)

I took these pics today while on jogging..

Level 8

Re: Sunrise

• Thanks to everyone for liking the photos,I didn't new people would like them that much...
Former Google Contributor

Re: Feeling of sun - How do you capture your sunset?

Hi @ErmesT,

Thanks a lot for your nice post and for tagging me! I appreciate it a lot!

I liked the most the title of the post - "feeling of the sun". You are right that we can feel the sun in different ways but when you capture such photo it can be with different meanings.

I can say that I feel the sun as well as you like in the first photo with the clouds because I have such photo as well:

Caption: A photo of sunset with the clouds (Local Guide @PoliMC)Caption: A photo of sunset with the clouds (Local Guide @PoliMC)

The other way that I am feeling the sun is as "hiding the sun behind the subject":

Caption: A photo of sunset in Istanbul, Turkey (Local Guide @PoliMC)Caption: A photo of sunset in Istanbul, Turkey (Local Guide @PoliMC)

The other ways that you feel the sun are very interesting and especially I liked the reflection of the sun. I hope you enjoy my photos as well.

I will follow the post because I am curious about the replies from the other Local Guides - how they feel the sun.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

thank you for sharing @ErmesT 

I always enjoy the sun every morning, every day of my life in the country where I live. I like to watch the sunset and sunrise, seeing it always makes me feel alive and has to struggle to survive, he is a strength

this is my capture
senja.png

senja 3.png

senja 2.png

Rivani Rahmadani
Google Moderator

Hi @ErmesT ,

I am glad to see your post. I wanted to add my favourite photos of sunsets and sunrises and here I am finally able to do so. 

I believe that every sunset or sunrise is unique. There are different factors that should be taken into consideration and some of them are a clear/cloudy sky, surrounding buildings, camera, etc. But nothing can compare to the beauty of what is right in front of your eyes.

I must say that no filters or edits have been applied to the below photographs:

Caption: A photo of a sunrise on a cloudy day (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of a sunrise on a cloudy day (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of a sunset taken at an old train station in Sofia, Bulgaria (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of a sunset taken at an old train station in Sofia, Bulgaria (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A red sunset in Sofia (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A red sunset in Sofia (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thank you @PoliMC for your photos.

Yes, the effect in the sky is great. You don't need to see the sun, to deeply feel it.

One of the easier effect it the one that you can have using the reflection of the water. The back light give you back only the shape of the subject. Of course you can choose to don't have a subject, other than the sunset, but the contrast between the black shape and the water makes the photo more captivating

Caption: a duck in a golden lake - Local Guide @ermestCaption: a duck in a golden lake - Local Guide @ermest

Former Google Contributor

Hi @ErmesT,

It's an absolutely amazing photo again! Thanks for it!

I agree with you that you don't need to see the sun to feel it. If you have an album with such photos please feel free to share it here with us.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thank you @RivaniRahmadani 

beautiful photos. I am curious, where did you took them?

Can you add a small description?

Adding a technical note, the purpose of this post is how to save your camera from the intense light of the sun, that can damage the sensor. Have you tried to "give the feeling of the sun" without including it in your picture?

Connect Moderator

You are welcome, @MoniDi 

great photos. I love mostly the second one, with the train station in the shadow.

Here the "Feeling of the sun" is only given by the sharp, horizontal light of the sunset along the river

Caption: Plumes lighted by the sunset - Local Guide @ermestCaption: Plumes lighted by the sunset - Local Guide @ermest