Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Facebook Places Editor.

Somehow I stumbled upon the Facebook Editor. Essentially it is like Google's Local Guides Program except it has a lot more social functions, and is more prone to crowdsourcing/the general public.

Here's a screenshot of the Facebook editor. Hey look, I reached Level 13!Here's a screenshot of the Facebook editor. Hey look, I reached Level 13!

It seems to be a program that freely allows people to make edits, corrections and clarifications based on source knowledge. It has many elements of the Google Local Guides program, but of course it has its limitations.

As I ventured onwards to trialling the Facebook Editor (for a consecutive seven days, there's an achievement for that! Also I'll abbreviate this to F.E.), I realised that I would absolutely prefer the Google Maps Local Guides Program in comparison to what I've experienced with Facebook. Here are a contrast between the two:

• In F.E. the levels grow very quickly. A lot of the statistics are static and immediate, although somewhat limiting.
  • Because pages and groups are so easily created, I've had to find myself making the most ludicrous of edits and rejecting plain outright incorrect suggestions. For example, one of my local cemeteries address were being changed to somewhere in Pennsylvania. A Westfield shopping mall was being changed from Clothing Store to Boxing Gym, both excessively incorrect.
  • There are so many duplicates of pages and businesses, I fail to believe that there is a reliable bot/AI that comfortably and accurately filters such content out. For example, I just had to confirm that Suanne Local Nail & Wax is the same as Suanne's Nails 🙂 yes including the smiley, or is a Lisa's Nails was the same as a McDonald's FC just for being 'close enough'. Also instead of Cityrail, I had to mark Cityfail as a duplicate...
  • Their reviews are very limited and not very widely thought out.
  • Facebook Editor is razor fast, most likely due to it's light nature.

Enough bashing though. What I do commend about it are a few things which I can think of:

• Accuracy of edits. Someone who suggests or makes edits and seeing the accuracy of their edits can really bring some light into their trusted status. If we were seeing Local Guides with a 99.6% accuracy rate in comparison to a Local Guide with a 73.1% accuracy rate, that could tell a lot about each of them.
  • Checking and arranging your edits based on the following four categories: Accepted, Not Accepted, Pending, and All. It could be like Applied, Not Applied, Pending, and all for Google Maps too.
  • They have a Leaderboard solely based on points, on a week, month and all-time basis based on your friends. Also you can filter it on State and Country too which is pretty nifty!
  • They have a basic, but varied badge system. I would prefer if there were tiered systems too.

I found it quite interesting, but I'm really only making edits so I can emerge on top of my friends' list. Well that isn't much points really. It's interesting, but it's a very short-term thing and I will make edits. Although I don't really want to edit every single Westfeild that I see. This is just my massive thanks and gratitude for having a very healthy mapping database and a supportive community of moderators, Googlers and engineers.

10 comments
Level 10

Re: Facebook Places Editor.

I also worked on this @Briggs bro. Its quite easier to use.

Now I am more focusing on Facebook translation.

Seems like you have reached in level 13.

So congratulations. 🙂

Level 9

I had a co-worker introduce this to me.  (I've yet to contribute).  She told me she was in it for a free t-shirt.  I wonder how their benefits compare to Google's benefits...

New WriterNew SolutionistGood FriendSuper Popular| 9 Badges so far! | My Connect Profile | My Contributions
Level 8

Wow @Briggs!! 

This is the first time I hear about Facebook Editor, thank you so much for sharing this comparison and all this information with us frnd!!

Level 10

I don't really know anything about the benefits of Facebook Editor however. Like the freebies, perks, or anything of the sort. There isn't much of a recognition feature, nor are there big numbers. But I would like to be a contributor and somewhat a helper. Although the edits can feel a little bit tired, such as  "Is A Pty Ltd the same as A Markets", and vice-versa.

Level 10

Used the editor a lot and made changes. I got to level 26

Instagram  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Web Page  |

Level 10

Actually @Alac, there is no current feature that shows any sort of percentage of accuracy. It's just a hypothesis.

Level 7

they updated their policy and now you can get a t-shirt on reaching level 50 . if you don't get you can contact on editor facebook community and let them know

Level 8

I’ve been there for quite long although didn’t edited that much i am able to manage like above level 40 with several badges. I started there during the mapmaker days but when i discover local guides in 2015, i guess its far more better with all those reviews, ratings, etc.

Level 9

Yes, You are right.

I am also on Level 18 at Facebook EditorImage 1.png

But, Google Local Guide Program is Best in all Ways.

I am enjoying as being a Google Local Guide  in India.