ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Exploring the territory of 1st World War - Passo San Boldo

San Boldo Pass is, for several reason, a very special place.

During the First World War the position of the pass was considered strategical, for the Austro-Hungarian army, because it was the shorter and faster way for reaching the Piave river Area from Belluno, that was one of the importante base of the Austro-Hungarian army.

When, at the end of 1917, the road was becoming essential for the results of the war, they realized that there wasn't a road in there, to reach the pass. Only a path was crossing the steep mountain walls, impossible to use by carriages pulled by horses, or by a large army. So they decided to build a road. An impossible road, due to the steep wall, and the short space. They did it, with half of the switchbacks built inside galleries in the rocks.

7000 Austro-Hungarian soldiers worked for 100 days, and the road was built.

Now, the road is named  "la strada dei cento giorni" ("the 100 days road"), for remembering the incredible feat. You will not be able to find the road on Street View: The tunnels are not high enough, so the Street View Car cannot pass in there.

Here is my view of the road, with all the tunnels going in and coming out on the same side of the mountain

San Boldo Pass - the tunnelsSan Boldo Pass - the tunnels

A bit of history about the pass:

When reaching the pass, you will find a small village, with couple of restaurants working with all the tourists that are coming in there. Of course, the restaurants are celebrating the construction of the road, but I can tell you that the food is very good in there. So we decided to take the lunch, before to move for a walk.

oops, I started eating before to take the pictureoops, I started eating before to take the picture

The nature is gorgeous in the area, and the path are very easy, so you can enjoy a relaxing walk, moving on the top of the mountain in a very soft way, surrounded by flowers and butterflies.

It is really a path for everyone.

And it is also an educational way for learning about the nature. A lot of descriptive signs can be found in the wood, explaining about every plant, tree, flower, that you can find in  there

Butterflies are everywhere in the wood, flying from flower to flower

A great surprise, after an hour walking up un the wood, and an the midway for reaching the top, was to find a farm, and a few minutes later, a small village

At 5 pm we decided to move back. The valley is deep, so the sun is disappearing early in there, even in summertime. We arrived near the end of the path just in time to see the other side of the valley most olready in the shadow, with only the tip of a few of highest trees lighted by the sun

Whit this place, we hope we have been able to add one more place, to the long chain of places of the World War 1. The idea is not to talk about the war, but about the beauty instead. Not to forget the war, but simply to remember that "in a war, nobody wins - we are all losers"

Hope you have enjoyed the place and the story. Here the album of photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAoYaDPpxDEHnUaf9

Ermes

Passo San Boldo, San Boldo, TV, Italia
25 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Exploring the territory of 1st World War - Passo San Boldo

I haven't been able to find a video in English about this road.

This one is in Italian, but is self-explaining: https://youtu.be/kq_8Q5GDPUY

Hope you will enjoy it

Ermes

Level 10

@ErmesT Thanks for sharing... "in a war, nobody wins - we are all losers"  so true, people who live will suffer for the lifetime ...

Level 9

Connect Moderator

Thank you @AnuradhaP and @OSAMA

The link shared is about my first story about WW1, and how the war changed the geography of the area where I live. Starting from the name of the place, to end to the position of the borders. WW1 ended a century ago, and prepared the soil for the WW2, 21 years later. Not too many people from that period still alive, so it is our social responsibility to keep the memory alive. I want to do it sharing the beauty, not the grey colour of dust and ruins. A flower can grow on the ruins, and I want to share the flower with you

Connect Moderator

Es un hermoso lugar @ErmesT y una buena oportunidad para ti de agregar a Google Street View , el lugar que falta, hacer un túnel en 100 días es un logra impresionante, lo extraño que en la actualidad dicho paso no haya sido convertido en uno moderno, con lo cual ampliar las dimensiones del puente.

Saludos Farid

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Connect Moderator

Thank you @FaridTDF

There are several technical resreas for not making a larger road.

Also, in a century, a lot of new road have been made, so there isn't a real reason to do it. This road is more for tourists, and just a few locals that are living in the area.

This road remember to me a strange "serpentine" road of San Francisco.

I think that @KarenVChin have a picture. Most of the locals just take another way.

Level 8

@ErmesT Thanks for sharing this historical place.

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Connect Moderator

@ErmesT, I am fascinated with how and why things are built.  Fascinating video.  So 7000 people, including local women and children, and multiple faiths (Catholics, Jews, and Muslims) built this road in100 days?  I am curious in the museum, did it say dynamite was used to blast through to make the tunnels?  I am assuming the majority of the work was done manually, with no machinery?

Did you know the Golden Gate Bridge was built during the Great Depression to give men jobs?  it took 4 years to build and at time of its completion it was the world's longest suspension bridge. 

What I also fascinating is that we live with so much history under our feet. You just have to go out and look. Did you know about the story behind these tunnels? Visited this location prior? Did you get to drive through the tunnels? 

As for Lombard Street, the world's crookedest street, did you know it was suggested by one of the property owners who lived on that street in 1922?  Crazy, huh? The reason why?  To be able to drive down the very steep street.

This October, be prepared to finally visit this street up close and maybe walk up or down. What do you say @FaridTDF? Are you into doing this?

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Wow, A lot of questions @KarenVChin

Yes, it was done manually, also using dynamite, in 100 days.

My discovery was not intentional, I was simply trying to reach a fresh place in a very short time. Normally I am moving more north, to reach Dolomites, but last Saturday we didn't had so much time, so we decided for a short move.

I have been fashinated by the road too, so I have decided to learn more about it. Of course a passed through the tunnels, it is the only way to reach the pass in a short time. The alternative is to drive all around the mountain. Once on the top I said: "OMG, this post is so special" and, as I am very curious...

This is Lombard street @FaridTDF (thank you Karen)

Ermes