Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Exploring Amazon Go

As many of you may already know, Amazon built a grocery store known as Amazon Go in Seattle. Unlike a conventional grocery store, there is no checkout. That's right, NO CHECK OUT, not even a self check out. They advertise it as you walk in, put all of the items that you want into your bag and just walk out. No, I didn't steal anything, you're still charged for whatever you buy! This may be the future of grocery shopping.

They recently opened the store to the public a few weeks ago after many months of testing and delay.  It is located in downtown Seattle, found here. I happened to be in Seattle last week and decided to stop by and check it out myself. Here's my experience! 

Since the store just opened, there were a number of friendly staff members at the entrance to help you out. When I went, it wasn't very busy at all, but if there were a lot of people, the staff was ready to handle a queue in an orderly fashion on the outside of the store. To go in, you will need the Amazon Go app. If you do not have it, you can download it on the spot, the shop actually has free WiFi, so even if you're visiting US, you can still give this a go. Upon entering the store, you'll have to scan the app to go through the gates. You can also share the account, so for families, only one person needs to have the app and you can scan all of your family members in. The bill will be sent to whoever that has the app.

After entering, you'll notice that the store isn't very large.  It mostly contains snacks, beverages, dairy products, bread, cereals and meal prep kits. There is a small corner in the back for liquor and alcohol and there is a staff member there to verify IDs. Since Amazon owns Whole Foods, there was a small Whole Foods inspired section as well. The store doesn't have any fresh produce like vegetables or fruits. They do carry a lot of local items, like dairy and cheese products from dairy farms that are local to Washington state. There is staff in the store so they would be available for questions. As you wander around, you just grab whatever you want and place it into your bag.

Once you're done your shopping, all you simply do is to walk out through the gate. No need to scan anything through, the gate will open once you approach it. A few minutes after exiting, a notification will pop up on the app displaying the purchased items and how long you spent in the store, definitely a cool concept.

The store is accessible, though I'm not sure if the gates are wide enough for all wheelchairs. There is a restroom as well. Since the store has some microwavable meals, there is a small area with a microwave where you can eat. WiFi and sockets are available for charging as well so if you need a quick meal but still do work, it is possible.

My impression? 

• Awesome that there is no need to queue to check out. Saves a lot of time this way.
  • Best for someone looking for some snacks, beverages and perhaps grabbing a meal prep kit on their own home from work. Probably also great for someone who just need a snack in the middle of the day as well. Not intended to actually grocery shop as there is no fresh produce and meats area.
  • Really convenient if you ever forget your wallet but still have your phone, you can still buy stuff! 

My review can be found here.

And here's a quick video for when I wandered through the store.

I definitely had fun exploring. I bought a few snacks as I had a long drive home.

Would you enjoy shopping at a place like this? What do you think?

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Seattle, WA, USA
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Exploring Amazon Go

hi @Shirley, I did enjoy your video as well. Shopping is always relaxing. I guess I don't find a store like this yet in Indonesia. What snacks do you prefer to buy? I love to buy something crunchy instead of the sweet one. 

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 10

@Shirley machine language , AI & image processing make our life more easy 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 9

@NunungAfuah: I love to eat chips, so I suppose I like salty too! I bought some chips this time at Amazon Go!

@MahabubMunna: Definitely, I think this is just the start of AI and machine learning for grocery shopping. I suppose if this goes well, more stores like this will start to become available! 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 8

I've been meaning to go but haven't had the time or patience to deal with the crazy line ups so thank you for the thorough review! 🙂

I love the idea of being able to just walk in, grab what I need, and leave. I always have my phone on me, but hate to carry my bag/wallet! This would definitely be convenient for someone like me.

What do you think about how produce is packaged? My concern is the waste produced by this business model =0

Level 8

Really it is very amazing

Connect Moderator

Really enjoyed reading your recap of your visit to this pretty amazing concept, @Shirley. It still boggles my mind how they know what you bought...like....how crazy is that?! 

Would definitely like to visit this store just based off the cool-aspect of it. It is small, but its pretty interesting. 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 9

@Adel_Haddad: Yes! Definitely super cool!

@JenneferB: Hopefully you will get a chance to visit it when you're in Seattle next! It was definitely a cool experience! As for the packaging... not too sure about that. But they don't have any plastic or paper bags at all for the shopping. When I went, they were handing out Amazon Go branded multi-use bags but I'm not sure if that is an ongoing giveaway or a limited time as it was only opened for about two weeks when I visited. So at least they are promoting less plastic!

@SP31: Glad you enjoyed it, hopefully you got to come up to the Pacific Northwest soon for a visit and we can meet there =P

Connect Moderator

The concepts in this store are very interesting, but as much as people at checkouts do sometimes annoy me I'm not a fan of these changes. Automation replaces a lot of unskilled labour and while this is reflected in the profits of corporations and in theory reflected in lower prices for the consumers it takes away what is probably the biggest of the unskilled labour work positions in the 1st world economy. These people will fall onto the social security net for support. The economic impacts could be devastating. Many teenagers get their first work in supermarkets and service chains such as fast food. Many older people displaced out of their traditional workforce roles fall into these lower skilled roles. The accountants in the world will see these as an easy win for their company. The economists and far thinkers see the downsides.

Regards Paul

Level 8

Surely some day, we can meeting each other in Amazon