LucyPalmer's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

Explore frozen film locations in Google Earth

As winter whips its way across the Northern Hemisphere, many caught in its frosty cloak are choosing to stay inside and enjoy a good film. Before you dive into your next cinematic adventure, learn more about the filming locations from movies set in wintertime landscapes in a round-the-world trip on Voyager in Google Earth.

From action thrillers to cozy fantasy flicks, each stop on this tour takes you to an exciting frozen film setting. Best of all, each site is brought to life with photos taken by Local Guides like you.

Here are some of our favorite places you’ll see along the way.

1. Rockefeller Center Tree

Caption: A photo of holiday decorations at Rockefeller Center in NYC including trumpeting angels and the famous Christmas tree lit with colorful lights, taken at night. (Local Guide to战乡生by Li)Caption: A photo of holiday decorations at Rockefeller Center in NYC including trumpeting angels and the famous Christmas tree lit with colorful lights, taken at night. (Local Guide to战乡生by Li)

In the U.S., a winter movie marathon wouldn't be complete without watching Home Alone 2. The American Christmastime movie is filled with slapstick comedy and heartwarming scenes. After getting lost in an airport, Kevin, youngest in a big family, makes his own way around a snowy New York City. He is finally reunited with his mother at the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center, captured in Google Street View in the Voyager story.

2. Olivia River Bend

Caption: A photo of the snow-banked bend of the Olivia River, which winds through a glacial valley in Ushuaia, Argentina. (Local Guide Pablo Andrés Gómez)Caption: A photo of the snow-banked bend of the Olivia River, which winds through a glacial valley in Ushuaia, Argentina. (Local Guide Pablo Andrés Gómez)As it turns out, choosing winter as a silver-screen filming season makes for a tricky shoot; cue an icicled Leonardo DiCaprio shivering onto screen in The Revenant. The film, about the life of the American explorer Hugh Glass, was a box office hit, but to say that the filming process was gruelling would be an understatement. Inhospitably cold landscapes provided frozen backdrops, with filming postponed at one time because of a lack of snow on the ground. The Voyager tour stops off in the southernmost city of Argentina, Ushuaia, where closing scenes were shot.

3. Tisa walls

Caption: A photo of a snow-covered spot in the Czech Republic where The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was filmed. (Local Guide Uwe Foerster)Caption: A photo of a snow-covered spot in the Czech Republic where The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was filmed. (Local Guide Uwe Foerster)A lack of real snow also caused the The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe production crew some difficulty. While principal photography for the fantasy film could be captured in New Zealand, the filming team shifted to the snow-capped Czech Republic to gather wintertime shots. Fans might recognize the Voyager story stop as the route Lucy takes with Mr Tumnus, shortly after finding another world, frozen for one hundred years, in the back of a wardrobe.

Which film location from the tour would you love to visit? Tell us in the comments below.

8 comments
Level 10

Re: Explore frozen film locations in Google Earth

Thanks for sharing this movie location with us @LucyPalmer !
I saw all three movies you mentioned (thanks to the children I have at home!) and it is very interesting to find out where they were made!

I hope one day to have the chance to visit New York with the whole family and especially the Brooklyn neighborhood!

Bye,

David

Former Google Contributor

Hi @LucyPalmer ,

Thank you for sharing with us.

I find the link to Google Earth that you have created a great imagination. I really liked how it took me to different places and it shows the different movies.

Thanks again and have a great day 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator . Thank you!
Level 9

Wonderful post, thank you for sharing with us @LucyPalmer 

Googler

So glad to hear you enjoyed the story, and that you have lovely family memories with these cosy films! It was really fascinating for me also to find out through research where all these magical films were shot.

Happy guiding!!

Lucy

Level 8

I really like Google Earth. A good idea. I was very interested to see the places that were shown in the films.

Level 10

Rif.: Explore frozen film locations in Google Earth

Hello.  Great post and congratulations for the photos.  Thank you very much. Have a nice week end. 

Level 5

wonderfull frozen arts

Anonymous
Not applicable

glad to hear you enjoyed the story, and that you have lovely family memories with all personal ♥️❤️💞