kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Escape to these summer spots south of the Equator

If, like me, you are living somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere and are already completely over the plunging temperatures and lack of daylight, then this post is for you.

While we are entering the darkest, coldest time of year, it’s easy to forget that those in the Southern Hemisphere are about to enter the sunniest, warmest months. And now that I’ve remembered that I’m very jealous and wish I were down there chasing an endless summer. Here are three places I would love to go to escape winter in New York.

Boulder Beach (Cape Town, South Africa)

This stunning public beach offers sandy  beaches, turquoise water, and free-roaming colonies of African penguins. Yes, penguins.

Caption: A photo of a group of small African penguins on Boulder Beach in Cape Town, South Africa. (Local Guide Darrin des Vignes)Caption: A photo of a group of small African penguins on Boulder Beach in Cape Town, South Africa. (Local Guide Darrin des Vignes)

Local Guides say:

“Absolutely love this beach, water is great, beach is clean, penguins swim nearby. You do have to pay entrance but it is definitely worth it. I would suggest visiting it at low tide because there is not much beach left at high tide.” -Local Guide Shonese Bloy

Ipanema Beach (Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro)

It’s always a party at this famous beach, which offers amazing sunsets, surfing, sports, cocktails, and much more.

Caption: A photo of Ipanema Beach in Rio de Janeiro packed with sunbathers and swimmers, surrounded by the city and nearby mountains. (Local Guide andres aranda)Caption: A photo of Ipanema Beach in Rio de Janeiro packed with sunbathers and swimmers, surrounded by the city and nearby mountains. (Local Guide andres aranda)

Local Guides say:

“My favourite between Copacabana and Ipanema, far more laid back vibe, beautiful sunsets, great swim, and I discovered an outdoor gym at the Copacabana end of this beach. Also has phenomenal views of both sugar loaf mountain and Christ the Redeemer from the rock at the far end of the beach alongside Fort Copacabana” -Local Guide david mcconnell

Noosa National Park (Queensland, Australia)  

This stunning national park is the perfect place to soak up the sun while looking for local wildlife (like wild koalas!) and enjoy gorgeous views of the coast.

Caption: A photo of Noosa National Park in Queensland, Australia, showing the coastline with beautiful view of the blue and turquoise ocean, cliffs jutting out into the waves, and lush hilltops. (Local Guide Chris Bogin)Caption: A photo of Noosa National Park in Queensland, Australia, showing the coastline with beautiful view of the blue and turquoise ocean, cliffs jutting out into the waves, and lush hilltops. (Local Guide Chris Bogin)

Local Guides say:

“This is an amazing place for exercise (walking, running) and learning about the local fauna. The trails are extensive. You can easily walk 10k on many of the trails. Take your binoculars to view dolphins and whales. Birding here is excellent too.” -Local Guide Ken Hook

Where is your favorite place to visit in the Southern Hemisphere? Tell us in the comments below!

11 comments
Level 9

Re: Escape to these summer spots south of the Equator

you bring some warm @kmajewski

on time post specially these cold days  

South Africa , Brazil & Australia all on my  wish list 🙂 

I can Add Dubai in UAE And Sri Lanka 

Level 9

Thank you so much for your nice post and wonderful photos @kmajewski

Unfortunately,I have not visited any country in South Hemisphere.

I suppose  it will be in my future plane.

Best wishes,

Level 9

Small group of penguins  in Cape Town South Africa nice captured by local guide Darrin des vignes,nice post @kmajewski thank you for sharing with us...

Hi @kmajewski,

What a brilliant share, thank you! I really enjoyed reading this! It brought back fond memories of Australia and growing up in South Africa. I would love to also visit Brazil in the near future! 😊

My favorite:

Spending time with wild penguins in Boulders. An unforgettable experience and a must see for any adventure seeker!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Omg @kmajewski this is so cool! 🙂 

I only clicked, because I saw the penguins!! I would love to see penguins, they are so cute! 🙂 I've only been to Brasil and it was exactly on the Equator, so not that south of it, but seeing the penguins would be such a dream come true. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Wow! Sandy beaches, turquoise water, cute penguins, sunny weather, cocktails - this sounds like a dream and a real paradise to me 🙂 I wish I could teleport to any of those places! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Level 10

Every photos excellent but I really like penguins on boulder beach picture @kmajewski thanks for sharing wonderful post. 

Level 8

Great idea - to escape from the cold in the southern hemisphere, at least virtually. I have been to Australia, I really liked it. I hope to visit Brazil and South Africa too.

Level 9

ohhhh the penguins are so cute!!! It's winter in the northern hemisphere and while I dream of summery and warmer nights, I'm also enjoying the winter view here!! 🙂 Thanks for sharing @kmajewski!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!