ratedruwan's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Errors not being corrected on Google Maps/Edits not being made

Hi,

I have been trying to make edits to GoogleMaps for months and either Maps or the Community Manager for NYC is not putting it through.

The edit keeps getting rejected despite the business in question having moved and being in a different location in downtown Manhattan.

I also I keep trying to add a new community garden that is in downtown Manhattan and that keeps getting rejected.

Is there person in charge of accepting edits/validating them bc if they are...they are doing a terrible job in the East Village? It takes forever for an edit to get through. I don't understand why edits made by Local Guides that are Level 5 or above aren't put through immediately. If there is a human element to edits being approved in NYC...it's clear that said person hasn't lived in NYC or isn't good at verifying edits.

Thanks for any advice/help in advance.

New York, NY, United States
10 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Errors not being corrected on Google Maps/Edits not being made

Yes, it is also happen in my country, too, and I also has the same feeling about what you feel. I don't know why it happens, but I think that the "Check The Facts" feature could be one of the reason because we could randomly take a place that we haven't visited to answer the facts/answers. Maybe is there any explanation from the others?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found something related to what we concern about.

Check this out https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Why-is-my-edit-status-Pending-or-Not-Applie...

Level 7

Hola @ratedruwan !

Coincido con la duda que planteas, y creo este problema tiene que ver con el dudoso papel que jugamos los Local Guides en Google Maps, sin importar la categoría que tengamos (4, 5, 6 o cualquier otra). Por un lado el sistema utiliza nuestros aportes, pero por otro no atiende a sugerencias y/o propuestas de modificaciones, haciendo que se muestren errores que puedan resultar en obstáculos para los usuarios de Maps

Realmente, he perdido la cuenta de las veces que he propuesto corregir equivocaciones en el mapa de mi Ciudad, sin obtener una mínima respuesta. He probado de todo: enviar más de una vez la información, mostrar referencias (URL´s) en las que se pueden verificar mis planteamientos, enviar capturas de pantallas con los errores, en fin...

Creo entender la dimensión del proyecto Maps, pero sus creadores han de enfrentar estos asuntos y tomar las decisiones necesarias para que funcione convenientemente.

No puedo menos que sonreír cuando leo en un post de @GusMoreira "Thank you for helping to keep Google Maps fresh and accurate for the millions of people who rely on your information when they’re exploring the world. "

¿Cómo lograrlo si frenan nuestra participación?

Saludos desde la Habana

Level 8

@ratedruwan

There are lots of reasons why your edits might be rejected. I am part of a collaboration where we just started collecting (theoretical)  reasons and have 12 of them already and still counting. One thing for sure, we cannot help you unless you give more details on individual cases. You are invited to share each case with detailed information (GPS location or link to the place on Maps, and what exactly did you submit as data when suggesting the edits).

Experienced fellow LG and ex Regional Leads like Flash are happy to help you analyze each case and make suggestions. Throwing it all on one heap and saying, computer says always no, is not going to help yourself.

You should be able to tell from the speed in which you get the Not Applied verdict if your edit was only reviewed by a Bot or if there was human involvement. Pending, normally means either a Googler or people answering Check the Facts are involved.

Google's department that runs the Local Guides program is actually based in NYC, so I find it hard to believe that anything would go wrong at the heart of the LG operation 😉

Another way of getting feedback is contacting fellow local guides in your area. Have you considered to join a meet-up of the NYC Local Guides community?

Please keep in mind that your trust score is affecting the likelihood of your edits going through. Having many Not Approved responses in a row will mean your trust score won't be in optimal health. Better to stick with safe edits for a little while, to build up your trust level again. 

Best wishes!

JeroenM

Level 10

I don't know. 

I am being very New York City centric. The errors I see on maps that my friends and I try to correct are hilarious. 

What's the point of having Local Guides based in NYC if you're rejecting their edits. It doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the reply.

Level 10

To me, if you have maps content being driven by users, there will be errors.

However the automated system they have set up doesn't fix the errors despite users trying to correct the errors.

I find it curious that no one from Google on the Local Guides team came in to offer an answer or a Google moderator following up on this discussion.

I know Local Guides is not like the Yelp Elite program, but in that aspect Yelp gets errors fixed quicker. I also don't understand why people who are creating errors on GoogleMaps are still allowed to contribute content. 

Level 7

thanks

khoa cao
Level 10

Thanks for the message. And this is great as an explanation or for discussion or conjecture.

However the larger issue is the amount of errors that Local Guides or users are introducing into maps, the "system" validating the errors, and then said system preventing Local Guides, etc. from correcting them. In a city like NYC, it is why YELP is more trusted than Maps bc users are more fanatical about making sure information is correct and fixing errors on a listing etc. and the Yelp system to fix things works so much quicker. Given there are a lot of challenges with Yelp and it's not scaled globally like Maps, but they do a far better job of getting errors fixed.

You bring up a lot of good points in your response to my post, but in the end who cares? I mean I care, but no Google mod or a person from the Local Guides team even came in to say "Hey if you are finding a lot of errors in maps...go here" or something to that effect. Even if Local Guides is based in NYC, it must be run skeletally or not efficiently...based on the number of errors I find on maps and lack of responsiveness from said team or lack of effectiveness of the bots that validate the information. The constant silence by the LG and Maps team in general is deafening...you'll frequently see them posting gifs or "yay" posts on social media, but when it comes to users having issues or solving a problem...they rarely engage or find solutions. I know this first hand as I surfaced an iphone issue with Maps a year ago and it literally took a year for the Maps and engineering team to respond to the problem or acknowledge there was a problem. In general,I find Google responsiveness to any issue as glacially slow. They use UGC (user generated content) as a cheap scalable solution to mapping the world with content but then don't adequately resource those endeavors on the support side.

The most recent three errors I see on Maps in NYC. I keep submitting that a McDonalds is closed. The change keeps getting rejected depite the McDonalds being demolished with my uploading pictures of said location being demolished. lol  A pharmacy moved physical locations. I've tried to make the change. Constantly rejected, despite the location of said pharmacy physically changing and its old location being demolished. If you go to the pharmacy's website, it shows the change as well as on Yelp. Yet the change is rejected. Last one, which is my favorite...a small local park in NYC has a picture of another park (CENTRAL PARK!) amongst its lead photos on Maps. I keep marking that the picture is a shot of Central Park. No deletion. lol 

I think you have far more faith in the way Maps and LocalGuides runs than I do. I can only speak for NYC here, but GoogleMaps/LocalGuides does not impress me when I consider it's party of a tech giant and its offerings in terms of NYC feel weak vs. a Yelp or even small startups trying to map NYC with content.

Thanks!

Level 7

thanks u

khoa cao