SamanS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Emoji Spammer 😱

Dear @BruceDM, Sorry to answer lately. It seems that the LG Connect system has problem these days and doesn't send notifications.

Anyway, Thanks for your attention but I should mention some matters:

1. When one user is doing repetitive and fake actions (like adding emoji to name of huge number of places or adding fake ratings), this counts as spam because the goal of the user is to increase his score not to help the map. This is so obvious and I don't know why Google do not pay any attention to this case.

2. You know, verifying the business is not available in Iran so no one will get notification about changing one business in Iran. Moreover why you let spammer to destroy the map and then think to correct it. You should prevent from spams at first.

3. Maybe Google is not familiar with the mentioned spam but this user also added many fake 2 or 3 star ratings to many places. This is also so clear and Google faced many user like this and banned them as the result.

We're here to help the map but without your support all our efforts are useless. If adding emoji to businesses or adding fake ratings have no problem so we'll not continue this discussion and let user to destroy the map (In our view point).

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Former Google Contributor

Hello @Amiran!

We're aware of the issue with notifications.  We're working with the appropriate teams to have this taken care of and you should see this revert back to normal within the coming days. Apologies for the convenience.

A workaround you can use in the meantime is to please click your profile picture on the top of the page (desktop) and then click on the Little Bell. This will show an aggregate of all your recent notifications.  You are also able to receive email notifications based on your board subscriptions by clicking on My Settings  ---> Subscriptions and Notifications ----> Notification Settings

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 10

Thank you my dear @BruceDM,

But in fact delay in notifications is not a big problem as emoji spam is 😁 Hope to see spams have been solved in coming days.

Thanks a lot

Thank you @Amiran - We have investigated the issue and while we are not able to share the results of any of our investigations publicly, our aim is to have this issue remedied.

Level 10

What a good news @BruceDM

This made peace of mind for us and now we start to fix all remained spam emoji. 

We proud to have you as supporter

Level 10

Hi dear @BruceDM
As we see, the problem still exists and spammer are adding many emojis to places even the places that we've corrected their names.

Please do a real and effective help if possible.
Thank you.
Saman

Hi @SamanS - Thanks for sharing again.  There is no mechanism in place for stopping anybody who wants to add an emoji to a places description at this time. Often times people do not realize that this is a violation of Google Maps Contributed Content policy and simply need education. Keeping the map clean is one of our priorities but please be patient as we look to work through the various action items involved with policing Google Maps.

Level 10

Hi dear @BruceDM, thank you for replying.

when one user is doing it in vast area and huge numbers this is clearly to increase his points not helping the map.

I think one way is that the Local Guides team easily contact that user and ask him/her to prevent from such edits.

Also we learn this to Iranian local guides via G+ in this post and this post and in Telegram group about one month ago.

Hello @SamanS,

Thank you for your note. As you know - if you are able to identify any Local Guides who are abusing Google Maps Contributed Content policy, you are welcome to report them to us by tagging a moderator. We always recommend using the tools at your disposal first -  Flagging as inappropriate or making the edit yourself, as the first line of defense.  Google Maps is a big place and our team is doing the best we can to keep it clean but we are a small team and some of the finer items, like ATM edits as an example, take a little time to review while we focus our attention on the larger issues on the Map.