MladenT90's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Editing roads

Hello all,

hopefully i`m not posting this in the wrong way, otherwise let me know how and where i should post it.

I`m a big fan of google`s products but few years ago i switched from Google maps to Waze for the navigation, mainly because i was really interested in waze`s editor.

Due to the editor, roads were updated pretty much always and a lot of updates, due to construction works and similar, were coming to gmaps a lot of time (weeks/months)after waze.

Recently, seems that something is changing and that gmaps is updating some areas pretty fast. I think that gmaps is taking a lot of data from waze(accidents, reports, live traffic, etc) and due to the fact that it`s a lot more user friendly and more used it`s starting to be the top navigator again.

Like said before, i noticed that some new openings or temporary closures due to construction are immediately updated to gmaps but not all....i still have some areas near my workplace that are not updated with changes that happened many months ago.

I know that i can already add new places and edit existing one but is it possible somehow to edit also roads? Or report some differences without contacting the staff/sending mails?

I know it`s something really delicate and i don`t want that everyone can edit but if there is any chance it would be nice.....since google owns waze i was imagining something like google maps like navigator and waze like gmaps' editor but it`s probably impossible 😄

Thank you

7 comments
Level 7

Re: Editing roads

I am sure you can edit some roads @MladenT90 if you know the correct street address. I am working in a phone app and we're connected to gmaps.  Maybe I can help you with that, if you like me to help you on that matter.. 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @MladenT90,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I would like to let you know that the Idea Exchange is a place to share your ideas about Google Maps and the Local Guides program. I'll now move your post to the How-tos section. 

Regarding your questions, there are a few links you can check out on how to add edits on Google maps: Add a missing road, Report a missing road, Add a missing place. Please review the following topic for further information Why is my edit status “Pending” or “Not Applied”?.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

Screenshot_20181213-200908.jpg

If you don't understand italian then i can't report problems with roads because the function is not yet available in my actual country. 

Level 9

Suriname has this problem as well. The google maps is very inaccurate and in some place Dangerous because roads have changed from 2 way to 1 way. There is no way to edit those . Adding/removing places still works (Kinda) and since there is no map maker there is no way to edit road segments. The Feedback thing does not work because it gives you a warning that this is not available in your country. see screenshot from the poster below.

Level 6

When i made this suggestion i was in Dubai where the feedback thing is not yet available.

Now that i'm in Italy it's working and i can report missing roads or similar.

I sent some feedbacks 4 days ago and still no changes or answers....the good thing of waze is that the community is updating roads and so everything is faster to update....if we need to report some problems to gmaps, then someone need to check, then someone need to edit, etc etc it will be really slow.

I know that giving the oportunity to a lot of people to edit such delicate information can be also bad because there will be always someone who want to damage things instead of fix or help but it's the same with places or review that people can leave with local guides.

I hope that something will change soon.

Level 6

Former Google Contributor

Hi @MladenT90,

Thanks for reaching out and thank you for your contributions on Google Maps!

There are certain items in Google Maps that you cannot edit and these include landmarks, established points-of-interests or even the names of a city/township. Only Google can edit these. The thing you can do is to send feedback and suggest what changes can be made on Google Maps:

Please follow these steps:

Click the hamburger icon ☰

Click Send feedback => choose Missing road or Wrong information (if a road is removed since 1 year or there are any changes on the road).

Follow the instructions and fill in the information as detailed as possible

Click Submit

Please also review the instructions here on how to Report an Error on the Map.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!