Nickospot's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Editing Existing Direction on Map

So I noticed something over the last couple of weeks, I had to share the location of a place with friends but when I checked the driving direction the map offered it was wrong, in that it rather gave direction for when one is walking I have tried editing it for driving but it still either doesn't work or I'm doing the wrong thing.

I wouldn't mind a work through on how to get to edit an existing drive direction for google maps

Abuja, Nigeria
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Editing Existing Direction on Map

Hello @Nickospot,

At this time you cannot definitively edit the directions Google Maps will use because it relies on GPS, Local Transit Maps or known roads to seek the best path forward for a user. As infrastructure goes, the Maps algorithm is always aiming for the best path based on information it has available (roads, walking paths, etc).  If a road is missing you should attempt to add to road by using the send feedback option.

Please also be mindful of the type of navigation you are selecting - Driving, Transit, Walking, Rides or Cycling. This navigation choice will likely affect the routes displayed. If alternate routes to your destination are picked up by the Map, they will display in grey lines on the map. To follow the alternate routes you simply need to click on the different routes if any are available.

Items shared on the Idea Exchange are regularly monitored and feasible ones have the potential to become a reality in product updates. I would also suggest you submit your thoughts for personal direction edits there.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 6

Would this option apply if directions to a residence take you to the wrong house entirely?  I use Google Maps for a lot of local directions and there are a few condo complexes that I work in where Google gets me there, but I have to check the building numbers as I pass by.   GMaps seems to have them all numbered incorrectly.  There are also a few single family homes in my area that end up taking me a block or two down the road as opposed to the house itself.

Level 10

@Nickospot Just adding another link where you can refer to for 

"Steps to report wrong directions, If you got the wrong directions to a place, you can tell us which step was incorrect" in Google Maps help

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6194894