cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eating Crab Brain in Winter in Sapporo!

Kani MisoKani Miso

My hands were shaking from the cold when I took this picture, it was freezing.  The quality of the picture is low, but this will have to do.    In this photo is a crab brain cooked  in Japanese sake with two crab legs.   

In this post, I will tell you about my favorite dish in Sapporo.   On your next visit to Japan, preferably winter, I recommend trying a wonderful delicacy called " Kani-Miso."   Japanese waste nothing and enjoy all of the food they eat.   Crab brains can be enjoyed eaten either raw or cooked.  Some Japanese cook it over a low fire and use it as a dip.   You can use chopsticks, spoons, or a fork to remove the brain matter.   

It tastes creamy, bitter, and sweet.  It has a paste like texture and it coats the tongue and leave a light after-taste of the sea in your mouth.  

I bought this crab brain from a street vendor during the Sapporo Snow Festival, and it was super good.   Some people enjoy eating it with cold beer or warm sake, and it's great.   

What is your rare and favorite strange dish ?   

Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Eating Crab Brain in Winter in Sapporo!

Crab... brain? Mind = blown (pun intended :p)

I was in Hokkaido a few years back, but I don't think I tried this dish. Putting it on my list next time I'm there!

As to answer your last question (rare and strange dish).. do you know what this is? ?

IMG_5504.JPG

Former Google Contributor

If someone started selling crab brain on a street corner in my home town, it would be on the front page of the newspapers @Anonymous, that's incredible!

I'll have to say it somehow looks weirdly appealing, and I kind of want to try it while I'm also still having some doubts. 

Would you say this is a must try for first time visitors?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonderful @iyudhi 

I love the trivia question!   This is called "Shirako" and it's fish testicles....   Do I get a prize?   Was I wrong?  This is the one delicacy I avoid, but the Japanese go crazy over it.   I can't eat it...haha....  Nice capture and choice.  

Crab brain in season is best, in winter.   Other seasons are good, too.   If you go to a slightly upscale restaurant you can have a hibachi ( small burner ) placed on your table with a candle to simmer the crab brain slowly.   Lots of locals enjoy it with wine or Japanese sake.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Anonymous,

oh brain ?!? Never ate something like that. Actually a new discover for me, so thank you for sharing it.

I really love rare fishes so perhaps I might like it as well.

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @LuigiZ 

It was a no brainer!   I think you'll love it.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's good hearing from you @MortenSI 

That was my first impression, too.  In the cold winter, the aromas of sea and crab come through the brain miso as it's being cooked on the grill.   I prefer hot sake and hot  kani miso in turns.  The hot sake warms, soothes, and cleans the palates.   I hope I have removed your doubts. 

Former Google Contributor

I think I will have doubts about this until I actually man up and try it myself @Anonymous, but you definitely open up my mind to something new. 

One thing is certain, that I will make sure to hunt this meal down whenever I visit Japan!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

caption: fresh crab brains caption local guide lvl9 tony alexandercaption: fresh crab brains caption local guide lvl9 tony alexander

Fresh crab brains with a nicely chilled wine