TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

How to claim free google drive storage?

I am currently at level 5 and have accumulated around 1400 points as a Local Guide. Is it possible to redeem the free 100gb google cloud storage? I heard you could receive it when you reach over 200+ points.

Level 8

Re: How to claim free google drive storage?

Hi @EricDing

The drive storage promotion is an old perk. (Below is the information)

• Google Drive Storage Promotion Ended

In case you are interested to know about other perks for Google Local Guides, below is a nice post by @StephenAbraham

Cheers

Level 9

Re: How to claim free google drive storage?

Hi @EricDing:

Please review the post that  @Badruddeen provided to you.

In addition, I'm going to merge this thread to that post to keep the discussion together. 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 7

Local Guides GDrive Storage leaving us cold

I earned extra storage through significant Google Local Guides contributions and was told they WOULD NOT be lost as long as I maintained the required Local Guide level.  HOWEVER, I just received an email saying my space would expire.  That is a problem.

There were 2 changes that have impacted this.  The first was a change in the GDrive-space promotion for contributions.  Initially Level 4 Local Guides (when there were only 5 levels) would receive 1000 GB of storage, and it would be maintained as long as they maintained their level ("active" points).  There as a communication from Google citing the cost of this as the reason for reducing that volume significantly, but thankfully I beat the deadline by about 2 weeks.

The second change was when the Local Guides program switched from 5 levels to 10 levels and tangible benefits were lost (instead of storage and betas, we got "badges" woo).  Because of that change, "Google" (the website, in this case, not the company) doesn't understand/know/remember why I have 1000 GB storage above the base 15 GB.  The screen even says "Unknown promotion" by my capacity.

This is just disappointing and disheartening. I choose to contribute to Google over Yelp and TripAdvisor, etc.

Google should help the people who help it.

The data we higher-level Local Guides provide is worth far more $$$ than the cost of what we get back.

PROPOSED SOLUTION:  Reinstate the policy that whatever benefit someone HAD, they can continue to HAVE as long as they meet the original criteria from when they earned it.

Without that, why should I bust my butt contributing?  "Data is money," and Google knows that better than anybody.

Level 9

Re: Local Guides GDrive Storage leaving us cold

Hi @JasonDziukACE:
Thanks for your feedback. I'm not sure where you got information that you can keep 1TB drive storage as long as you remained the Local Guide level. I would like to direct you to the solution in this post. Initially, it was for a duration of two years, then it was reduced to one year, then subsequently it was changed to 100 GB for one year (as outlined in the post). This however, has also ended. The expiry information shouldn't be new information to you as it would have been present on the page where you manage your Google Drive storage, can be found here. It may say unknown promotion as the promotion no longer exist but an expiry date is likely still there.

There are perks that come and go and will vary between regions. Some users have received bus ticket and hotel discounts while others have gotten movie tickets. Note that Local Guides is a voluntary program but definitely feel free to provide any feedback that you may have, including suggestions and comments, much like your post here. 

I'll also be merging your post with the thread regarding Google Drive storage to keep the discussion together. Thanks! 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 8

Didnt get any 1 tb of storage space

I want to ask that i am a 8th level local guude but still why my google account does not get 1 tb space. Because i heard that google gives 1 tb space for eveey higher level local guide. Can anyone have reason or any solution.

Level 9

Re: Didnt get any 1 tb of storage space

Hi @Theviperanvesh:

The drive promotion for Local Guides ended over a year ago and at that point, the offer was only 100 GB for one year.  Prior to that, it was 1 TB offer for two years but that ended back in 2016. Therefore, it is not possible to obtain this storage at this point.

I encourage you to read the history about this perk in this post and the solution associated with the post. 

These were both limited time offers and you would have had to redeem it at the time.

I'll be merging your post to the thread to keep all comments together. Thanks!

Level 6

Local Guide Level 6 reward

Hi all,

As advenced Local Guide last year I received 1TB Google Drive space which is about to expire now with yearly renewal cost around 100 euro, so is there a reward program for 2018 for advanced guides like myself? How can I extend my Drive space without facing high costs?

Regards to all!

Connect Moderator

Re: Local Guide Level 6 reward

Hi @bhanaj there is no way to continue your drive storage without paying. However, you do not need any storage to be a Local Guide.

Note that you can recover space used by images that you've posted to Maps by switching from Original to High Resolution and use the Recover Storage button in the Google Photos App (or photos.google.com)

Google Photos SettingsGoogle Photos Settings

This post will give you more information https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Drive-storage-promotion-has-ended/m-p/14551... I will merge your message onto the end of that thread.

Regards

Paul

Level 8

Google Drive Storage - Local Guide Level 8

Hi I am Sayed Hasan Talukder . I am working google map maker from 2011 till now. Now I am label 8 . Google give me free store Google Drive 1 TB . Unfortunately now aske me to buy store. So what happened my free store and my documents. May I know what is the solution pleas.