TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

Does your city have a business created just to take photos and selfies? Mine does!

In many of the major cities I've visited (NYC, London, etc.) more and more places are opening in which they design an experience around food or drink (or color in one case) just for the sake of photos. While we seem to live in a world in which images reign supreme, and I'm "guilty" of going to some places just for the photos. 

Photo Caption: Sequins wall in the disco-inspired room at The Color Factory in New York City.Photo Caption: Sequins wall in the disco-inspired room at The Color Factory in New York City.

I've been to The Color Factory in NYC before and had a blast. Why? Not for the photos I could take of myself, but because the creators beautifully created an experience that transcended photos. Here are a few examples:

- You could taste ice cream that matched the vibe and colors of the ballpit room (it was blue but vanilla)

- You could scratch and sniff colors

- You could learn about different shades of colors and their inspiration because color goes beyond the rainbow

Even better, The Color Factory partnered with local businesses and museums to create the Manhattan Color Walk for added fun and surprises. I have yet to go on it, though. You can read my full review and see more photos on Google Maps.

The reason I though to write this post, however, is because I was in London this past weekend and went to Tonight Josephine to celebrate a friend's birthday. It's one of those places (like The Color Factory) that's "big on Instagram" and I read reviews so I knew what to expect (and the reviews were right). It was 150% designed with people taking photos first and enjoying cocktails/an experience second. 

You can read my full review and see more photos on Google Maps though not all photos may be approved yet. 

Photo Caption: Me in front of a pink neon sign that says "Well behaved women don't make history,.Photo Caption: Me in front of a pink neon sign that says "Well behaved women don't make history,.

Has The Color Factory made it to your city? Do you have another place in your city where you may visit for the photos and not necessarily for the experience? 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
21 comments
Level 10

Re: Does your city have a business created just to take photos and selfies? Mine does!

That's quite an interesting concept. I guess the truth is part of the younger generation may put social media sharing above the experience of just food and drinks. I haven't seen one near me yet, but as we all know, when one starts and become successful, it will spread soon. Waiting for something to come near my place. Otherwise, I will come visit there soon. 🙂 

Thanks for sharing this Traci. 

Connect Moderator

Re: Does your city have a business created just to take photos and selfies? Mine does!

Nice recap and explainer, @TraciC! I've definitely seen these pop up around town more recently in a number of ways as the emphasis on selfies/photos takes precedence. In Miami, we haven't had The Color Factory, but I remember a while back we had the Museum of Ice Cream make its stop down here, and it was a grand opportunity for those seeking an experience like you had at The Color Factory. We also had another example, which was maybe a bit more like an exhibit, called the Umbrella Project, which resulted in a major spike of Instagram posts while it was installed (you can see the photo below - not taken by me). While this wasn't an official "business," it was its own Maps listing!

Umbrella-Sky-Banner.jpg

I actually have a working on a list of places here that are the most "Instagrammable" spots in Miami and this post reminds me to seek out places like The Color Factory or Tonight Josephine to add to it! Many businesses that are already established are increasing these opportunities in the best ways they can. The mall near my apartment have installed a number of photo-ops throughout! Excellent reviews and photos! 🙂

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 9

Hello dear @TraciC

IMG_20181119_221258_419.jpg

It is interesting idea for exploring the native city for interesting photos and 

perfect post for reading.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Recently I visited unusual cafe with colorful lights,tiny and funny hedgehogs.They are not wild animals,they grow in special conditions. 

This is cafe for family with small kids. The childten can play with hedgehogs and after they can drink tea with homemade cookies and candies.These is special zone for selfies and photos with lovely animals.IMG_20181119_221735_442.jpg

IMG_20181119_221340_779.jpg

IMG_20181119_221505_760.jpg

Googler

Hi @helga19! Oh hedgehogs are so cute. These sort of cafes seem to be common in Tokyo based on my last trip. 

@SP31 Have you been to The Coral Castle? It's an old school "Instagrammable" place that I see a lot of images uploaded to their Maps listing. I went right before I met up with you at the Everglades meet-up.

@StephenAbraham You've got that right; people love photos...of themselves! 😉

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

@TraciC I've only heard of it (very little actually) but how can I pass up a Traci recommendation! Added to my list(s) (including my want to go list)! 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Connect Moderator

It's great that The Color Factory is so interactive, I would go if I could for the ice cream, learn about the colors, and of course  take some photos. Although, I can imagine people lining up to take a photo in a specific spot and I don't think I would like that part of the experience so much 😬

I believe that the most similar business we have in Buenos Aires is Campanopolis: a village full of fake buildings and great spots to take photos. Anyone can go, but it's also used for professional photography. There are also guided tours where they guide you through it and they explain the history of the village and how eco-friendly it is, so it doesn't have to be only for the photos. The bad thing is that it is 30 minutes away from the city, so not so many people go.

A lot of people here go to art expositions or other places in the city just for a photo, so I think a place like The Color Factory would be pretty successful. I admit I too have gone to some museums I wasn't so interested just to take photos..

Thank you for sharing, @TraciC!

Level 9

Is it worse that I went to one of these places in another city?? Last year when I was in the SF Bay Area, I found out that the Museum of Ice Cream was happening and I managed to get my hands on some tickets! There was little ice cream and a lot of spots for everyone to take photos. There was a pool of sprinkles for people to take photos with. It wasn't really sprinkles, it was plastic bits. A few of us went together @AdrianLunsong @JulienH Here are some photos:

A wall of alphabet for us to play with.A wall of alphabet for us to play with.In a room with giant "lollipop," "gummy bears," and  other "sweet."In a room with giant "lollipop," "gummy bears," and other "sweet."

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 10

Not exactly, but some art galleries seems perfect for this purpose.

Anyway, the place I love more for photography is Tate Modern in London, here you can see one of the photos I took in the last days: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Tate-Modern-Tunga/m-p/1161198#M223029

Googler

@LucioV I've been to the Tate Modern and definitely felt like the exhibits were made for photos v them being art, but art is so subjective.

@Jesi I was actually shocked that The Color Factory was so well-managed. They make sure it isn't everyone scrambling to take photos at once by managing the flow of people really well and most people were respectful. I only had to ask two people to move from a spinning wheel, haha.

@Shirley The Museum of Ice Cream was my first experience like this and I loved that sprinkle pit but not as much as I loved the ice cream we sampled! 🙂