Catman88's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Do photos need GPS tagging?

Something that always has puzzled me.

Using my Pixel to review places, but usually only offered photos to update that have been taken on the phone, with GPS coordinates.

How to upload photos from Google Photos without GPS - i.e. taken by a camera and saved to Google Photos?  Or those taken on the 'phone when GPS is off?

What am I missing here?  Probably something simple LOL

John Phillips
Sydney Olympic Park NSW, Australia
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Do photos need GPS tagging?

Hi @Catman88 

GPS coordinates is of course the option for Google Maps (through the interraction with Google Photos) to suggest you places where to add your photos.

Here the complete guide: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2622947

As Google products are integrate, and works together, you can also add photos to Maps through Google Photo:

In Google Photos choose the photo you want to add to a POI, open it and click on the "share" symbol

Scroll the list and tap on Google Maps icon

Search for the POI wher you want to add the photo. "You can't add photos or videos to addresses" but only of valid POIs

Level 8

Thank you for the reply.

In Google Photos choose the photo you want to add to a POI, open it and click on the "share" symbol

Scroll the list and tap on Google Maps icon

That only opens my Contacts list;  scrolling to bottom of which (after scrolling through 600 contacts) does not appear to give me an option to share with Maps.  (Chromebook).

However my Pixel 3 does have the share to maps option.  Is this function only available if using a 'phone?

Also, the link you kindly provided doesn't appear to answer my question - can I share photos with no GPS coordinates?  This does not appear to be addressed, or at least explained clearly?

Thanks!

John Phillips
Level 8

Hello?

Anybody home?

John Phillips
Connect Moderator

Sorry for my late reply @Catman88 . In the future please mention (tag) the person, if you are addressing your question to a specific Local Guide. In this way the mentioned LG will receive a notification. Just use the @ symbol to generate the tag, followed by the username.

Well, back to your question. No, a photo don't need to have the GPS coordinates. BTW, a photo with GPS, once uploaded on Google Photos, will be automatically added to the suggested photos on Google maps app. This makes easier to contribute