NatalkaR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Discover Greece: marvelous Corinth Canal

11.jpg

My big summer roadtrip was wonderful. I visited 12 countries, and each of them was incredible. I’ve already wrote about Greece and Meteora, you can read here.  And now I want to tell about other interesting place in Greece – the Corinth Canal. It’s paradox: this channel connects two seas and separates Greek mainland and the Peloponnese.

8.jpg

Its width is 24 meters. Its depth is 8 meters. The rock walls rise 75-90 meters. Its length is 6,3 kilometers.

10.jpg

First man who wanted to connect two seas was the tyran Periander. He began to dig canal In the 7th century BC. But it was very difficult and dangerous, and he abandoned his idea.

12.jpg

Modern Corinth Channel was constructed in 19th century. Two Hungarian architectures made the project. Before they worked on the project other canal – Panama. It was very expensive construction. French company paid 30 000 000 franks (only for beginning). It’s approximately 6 000 000 dollars. But construction was finished by Greek company – French workers refused to continue their work. Construction was last for eleven years and Corinth Canal was opened on 25 July 1893.

1.jpg

It was really great creation! Canal saved up to 700 km for ships – they shouldn’t float around the Peloponnese.

Ship floats in Ionian seaShip floats in Ionian seaWooden road over Corinth CanalWooden road over Corinth Canal

Now the Corinth Canal is used by small tourist ships. For big Transocean ships canal is too narrow.  

Sunsen in Ionian seaSunsen in Ionian seaGuess who? :-)Guess who? 🙂

Loutraki, Греция
14 comments
Level 9

Re: Discover Greece: marvelous Corinth Canal

Wonderful scenarios @NatalkaR @ amazing view of the canal is very attractive. Thanks for sharing with us.   

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 10

All pictures are superb @NatalkaR

Thanks for sharing with us 

Level 9

@NatalkaR , your post is outstanding "as Always" 

1.Informative

The first time I hear about Cornith Canal , u let me Google it

2.Great photos of the Canal

3. You bring a Model with you 🙂

I think you must win

"the Travelholic Award" , what do you think @KarenVChin !??

Connect Moderator

What to say about your post @NatalkaR?

Beautiful? Great? Super?

I am learning now the history of the Corinth Canal, accompanied by your beautiful photos.

It seems you had a lot of fun in there, isnt'it?

Connect Moderator

Fascinating! Never knew about this @NatalkaR. And that you traveled to 12 countries in your family road trip this summer - amazing!

Cheers,

Karen

Level 9

Hello @NatalkaR wonderful place I love it and nice pictures Thank you for sharing with us...

Level 10

@NatalkaR I can see you have enjoyed the trip just by looking at the last photo. I love your post as it gives the detailed description about how the canal was made. When I saw the first picture, I was thinking, is this man-made canal? 🙂

Level 10
Level 10

@NatalkaR i am jealous to see your this trip pic . 

Mahabub Hasan