cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Discarded Romance by Mike Stilkey

Discarded Romance by Mike Stilkey

IMG_20190114_163230.jpg

A sculpture made out of 3000 stacked discarded books creation of  LA based artist Mike Stilkey located in the Fully Booked book shop located at the Ground Floor B6 High Bonifacio Street Bonifacio Global City (BGC) Makati City. 

Bonifacio Global City, Taguig, Metro Manila, Philippines
11 comments
Level 10

Re: Discarded Romance by Mike Stilkey

Thanks for sharing @Gelin0512, that is very impressive. See my photos of stacked books at the Prague Library. https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Tj8tdKtT18RXwNN7

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Former Google Contributor

Hi @Gelin0512

Thanks for this beautiful picture. I love non conventional art , and this is a pure example of it. Can you tell us a little bit more background history about this artist? I will be really happy to know more about him. 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

It is innovative and very artistic @Gelin0512

Thank you for giving me fresh inspiration😃

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 6

Thanks for the appreciation.  Would love to check on your posts as well.  

Level 9

Hi @Gelin0512, thank you for the opportunity to bring this artist's work to this community and exchange ideas about it.

Did you take other photos of his art? I read that he use old books donated for bookstores and he grants them another artistic function.

https://www.mikestilkey.com/

"Books are dying. There are so many that go to the garbage. It's crazy. If I can paint on them, I'm giving them a second chance".

Mike Stilkey, via Los Angeles Times

Beatriz Aguilar | bandera-de-venezuela-imagen-animada-0001| Instagram
Level 6

Thanks for appreciating my little contribution.  I  checked your post of stacked books in Prague and that is really amazing! Great works! 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Gelin0512,

Thank you for bringing this amazing piece of art to our eyes.

I've seen various art installations made of books, but never seen a picture. This is simply genius.

It would be great if you share the Google Maps link of this bookstore? So if someone wants to visit it, it would be easier to find it.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

@Sorbe  Hi! Sorry for the very late reply. Born as Michael James Stilkey Jr , Mike Stilkey is an American artist who was born on October 15 1975, He is known for his book sculpture painting. His first solo show is entiltled 100 Portraits which was held at Artpiece. It was Jana DesForges and artist Dave Kinsey discovered Stilkey's work. They BLK/MRT later invited him to b a part of a group show. He debuted his first book sculpture while exhibiting his work at BLK/MRKT. Since then his work has been exhibited throughout the United states as well as internationally,  in galleries and museums such as  Bristol City Museum in UK, and other galleries all over the world.. He also created numerous and large_scale installations internationally. His largest installations in Hongkong entitled Discarded Romance in Hong Kong Time Square in 2012. This is the first time I heard about him while I was in Hongkong that time. His show was entitled Full of Smiles and Soft Attentions. His work Discarded Romance was purchased by Fully Booked Philippines from and then installed it permanantly at Fully Booked in Bonifacio High Street, BGC, Makati City.