LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Did you know that.... Strange laws that you can break while photographing for Google Maps

I would like to start this thread to show how much and how could be dangerous to take some pictures in some conditions.

I will start with this strange thing: did you know that it's technically not legal to take and share shoots of Eiffel Tower at night?

Source: http://designtaxi.com/news/396366/Why-You-Are-Breaking-The-Law-By-Sharing-Photos-Of-The-Eiffel-Tower...

A couple of days ago, YouTube channel Half as Interesting uploaded a video that quickly went viral—probably because it highlighted a little known fact about the Eiffel Tower, one of the most recognizable landmarks in the world. 

According to this video, it is technically illegal to share a photo or video of the Eiffel Tower at night, because the light show that goes on at night is considered a work of art. As it was only added in 1985, it is still protected under French copyright law, which afford creators exclusive rights to their work for up to 70 years after their death. 

However, this law has never been enforced in court due to the sheer impossibility of suing millions of tourists who share their holiday snap-shots on social media. 

Watch the video below to learn more about this little-known French law—are you guilty of breaking it? 

6 comments
Level 10

Re: Did you know that.... Strange laws that you can break while photographing for Google Maps

Did you know that in Italy, especially in Artistic Cities like Rome, it's illegal to use a TRIPOD for taking your shoots? No matter if at night or at day, this is considered illegal public terrain occupation, and you can be sued for this!

If you want to take 360, you can always use this method:

Level 9

Re: Did you know that.... Strange laws that you can break while photographing for Google Maps

Great content. 

Level 10

@JedR wrote:

Great content. 

Thanks @JedR I encourage everyone to add informations from other countries!

Level 9

Thanks for sharing these @LucioV.  It is important as Local Guides to be respectful of laws and customs, as well as study them out before we take photos.

New WriterNew SolutionistGood FriendSuper Popular| 9 Badges so far! | My Connect Profile | My Contributions
Level 10

Civil law Ukraine

A photography, other artistic works depicting an individual may be publicly displayed, reproduced, distributed only with the consent of this person.

1. A physical person may be filmed on a photo, film, television or video footage only with its consent. The consent of the person for filming it on a photo, film, television or video is assumed if the shooting is conducted outdoors, at meetings, conferences, rallies, and other events of a public nature.
 2. A natural person who has consented to filming her on a photo, film, television or video footage may demand that her public display be suspended insofar as it relates to her personal life. Expenses related to the dismantling of an exhibition or recording are reimbursed by this individual.
3. The removal of an individual on a photo, film, television or video tape, including a secret, without the consent of the person may be conducted only in cases established by law.

Level 9

First time I know that Legend @LucioV

Thanks for inform me ✌️😁✌️😁✌️