LuisHM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Dear Friends!

Hi everyone!

There are so many things I want to say on this post and please believe me when I say I’m not trying to attack someone, it’s just the way I see everything happened.

I will start sharing with all of you that I did not receive the invitation for this year Summit which got me really sad due to all the effort I made for more than a year contributing with the program.

As the minimum age to be a Local Guide is 18+ we know that must of us are working all day and we use our spare time to contribute with the community.

When I knew I was not selected to attend this year summit I knew there were a lot of things that I will have to improve in order to be considered for the next year, I believe most of the ones who didn’t get selected will agree on this.

Since I’m from Mexico I’ve been looking for the user who got selected to attend this year summit but so far there are no post here, twitter and facebook. I know just a few (less than 5 users) applied and they are active on this forums contributing trying to help other people around. I’ve seen some users from other countries who just created an account on the forums 1 or 2 days before, even the last day to submit their application and still they received the invitation to attend the Summit this year.

Here I quote their informative application post:

Applicants will be selected based on a number of factors including, but not limited to:

• High quality, well-rounded and consistent contributions to Google Maps in the past 12 months.
  • Consistent involvement with the Local Guides community such as being a supported community moderator, Connect moderator, meet-up host and active Connect contributor

About this, I feel like contributing with the Connect community was not considered at all since I’ve been trying to help users (also some those other people from Mexico as I mentioned above). I can say I’m the only Supported Community Moderator active on this forums according to what I’ve seen during the past 6 months that I joined Connect.

• The ability to understand and speak English

I’m not trying to be selfish, I understand that someone from my country deserved the opportunity to attend but unfortunately I haven’t see any post or person who said he/she was invited to the Summit.

I see some countries have more than 1 Local Guide invited which is awesome to see more than one had the chance to attend, I feel happy for them and I know the trip is better when you have someone from your country to travel with you.

My conclusion is that Mexico got excluded from this year Summit. I don’t know if it was because of the problems with the government, cultural problems with people who doesn’t like us, I really don’t know and I won’t say those are the real reasons because this program is made of volunteers who want to contribute with their every single person around the world no matter their religion, sexual preferences, nationality or else. We build a family as Local Guides around the world. Maybe I did get invited but my email was wrong (I wish that was true). I do believe we, Mexicans, had good candidates to attend this event, we have so much culture and tips to share with other people around the world. Also I saw people sharing an email about their entry confirmation which I did not receive and I don’t know why. According to Analytics, only had 2 views from US which makes me thinkg my application was not reviewed at all. I do have a Visa so it wouldn't be a problem to get invited.Analytics.jpg

Last but not least, I want to share with you how I feel about everything mentioned before.

I’m proud of all my contributions I’ve made for more than 1 year. I learned so many things thanks to this Connect Community and made friends and family around the world. I know this program is just more than contributing to win a trip. I believe I gave the best of me by helping my community in Mexico and people who visited my country.Local Guides Contribution Stats.jpg

Maybe it’s time for me to have a hiatus from this program as I feel my contributions in Google Maps and Connect forums are not important to the Local Guides Team because their decision to exclude my country from this event. (I keep believing this because not everyone got time and money to make trips around their countries or the world to contribute with this program, we only have energy and dedication in our spare time to contribute as much as we can with Maps and Connect and even that people who just created an account got invited. I saw less than 5 application posts from Mexico which was a requirement) Here’s my application post if you want to see it. My experience as a Local Guide (only if you are Level 5 you'll be able to see it)

Here in Mexico we have a semiarid weather so our temperature is always between 28Cº - 32ºC. Contributing with pictures always demand to be walking around under the hot weather and It got me really tired but I knew the best pictures needed a bright scenario, I was looking for quality pictures. Taking pictures of some places got me in trouble because people feel insecure about having a guy taking pictures of stores, buildings, etc. I had to deal with that with professionalism, we are not supposed to let people have a bad impression about the Local Guides program. I tried to be online at Connect forums all the week to help users with their concerns, sharing content about my city or my country. I do believe my contributions here were really helpful even sometimes users don’t select our answer as one because they don’t use the option. There is no way I can say that the time I spent at Connect forums was a waste of time, I made friends, I learned a lot about the program, I received feedback about my contributions to improve the quality. One of the best things about this program is the Connect forum. You can check My Profile in order to get an idea on how I've been contributing.

I didn’t contribute just to get invited. I knew this program got a huge potential with tourism as I mentioned on my application post. Having info about places that we were able to answer is also the best thing of the program, to let people know about accessibility and the services places can offer you. As I mentioned on my app video, one of the best rewards I got from Local Guides program was to know more about my city, to fall in love with it. I don’t really care about having more benefits since knowing the place where we live is more than enough. I believe on this program to make the world a better place by letting people know about the places around them and others around the world. I do not believe on excluding people by any circumstances. I believe on Summit 17 to be the best opportunity for Local Guides to give the feedback they need to keep improving the program.

I want to thank everyone for your time, dedication and helpful contributions to the program, remember you make this world a better place. My time contributing will always be something I’ll be proud of but if we (Mexicans) are going to be excluded after all we did (even the videos on YouTube showing the worst activities and “cultures” some people have. Because there is a lot of potential in other cities), there’s nothing I can expect from this program in my country anymore and the time I was using to contribute will be used in some other projects I have. I know some people from Local Guides team were always friendly to me and I really appreciate that.

Thanks for everything!

Luis Hernández - Querétaro, México. Queretaro Local Guides
Santiago de Querétaro, México
17 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dear Friends!

@LuisHM I just want to tell you... Huge txt...and now I will continue to read...

But I see point...and dont be disappointed...No one is selected from EX Yugoslavia countries (for now and what I know) (Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia...and still I don't know for Montenegro and Slovenia) not this year not last year... But...well...

Mexico...hm.. I watched lot of movies about Mexico...and I don't know...that wall and all about that...it's remind me on some scfi movie about rich and poor..."selected and not selected" (i do not mean on summit :D)

I was watch lot of movies about "walls".

Let me now to read rest of txt.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can tell so far (I must write partially) you are good man. @LuisHM

This txt remind me on "me" before few mounts...

I wrote this before few mounts, and nothing significantly has not changed except ME and my views...

Level 8

Don't give up, your time will come! @LuisHM sad many are disappointed with not getting picked. But Google had a though decision. Only 150 from the 9,000 that applied. I'm sure than these hidden gems that we find to be as new to the community, had shared with Google more about their contributions in their private applications. Not being chosen should not be an end all be all for Google maps and Connect. Many of those disappointed last year are celebrating this year from being chosen. You shouldn't give up over one event, there will be plenty others! 

Level 5

@LuisHM

Well said Luis and I completely share your sentiment, I want to make it clear that my main reason for being a local guide is not just for the reward however I cannot help but to feel let down when the only person from my country who was chosen barely joined the program a month prior to applications opening up, has not made a single post in this community all year, did not host a single meet up or bothered to attend one and blatantly lies in the application video about not having the means to travel when his Youtube channel features all his overseas excursions also his mention of how much he enjoys the Street View app when he has not uploaded a single photo sphere,

What other standard is there to compare myself to other than the only other person from the same town as myself that was chosen. Being an active member of the community I am glad to see that atleast some of the more active and loyal guides were chosen. I apologize if you disagree with my post, but I have a right to voice my opinion, and do not do it in a selfish way on social media or elsewhere but here on the forum which is the internal communication infrastructure of the local guides program.

It is frustrating seeing how much Google strives to battle SPAM reviews and then see people get chosen who make absolutely no effort, which makes me think about how relevant the summit really will be when several of the candidates have nor been local guides for more than two months, when some of us have been determined and driven to attend the summit from last year and following a year of hard work with a drive to ensure that most important of all - the content I post is quality and relevant - because that is the whole aim of Local Guides and to be honest it seems that the biggest  point on which we were scored was the video

I will not stop contributing to this program as I have stated I am not here only to score a free trip, but I am not motivated to continue being apart of the community when it feels like a corrupt system where people who want to score a quick free trip can fool those in control so easily. 

To all those deserving local guides I hope the summit is everything we all dreamt it to be and to the local guides community leaders and program director : Would it not make sense to have a 12 month Level 5 membership as condition to be able to qualify for the summit - atleast that way only truly committed members of the community will attend and make use of what there is to learn

Adios

van Dyk
Connect Moderator

@LuisHM Hi!!

Dear fellow I know you and your contribution on connect.

You write well and this may be reasons of disappointed.

But I want to say to you, we are a volunteer only, Not working for rewards.

Just helping others. But its a matter of sad that when you see the new lg got Selected which you mentioned.

Finally I want to say you,keep contributing and we will get result in next year.

Happy guiding!

Level 8

Well, I am with you, I send a video just for fun, I'm new on this program so I did not expect much, but I can say: I saw some selected people that I never saw in the Community of Local Guides ... and I find it very Curious that the official videos that appear each week of "Google Local Guides" are of people who don't participate in Local Guides Community and they aren't level 4 as the rules say, so imagine ...

Level 8

Hi @LuisHM,

Thank you very much for writing this response to the #LGSummit17 result.

I will say this is a good time to record our feelings about the result when they are still fresh.  And those response will be a great asset for the LG Team to adjust the program.

I did not follow #LGSummit16 closely as I only became an active LG after #LGSummit16 application is closed.  For #LGSummit17, we have Connect Forum, so I hope lots of thoughts and ideas can be preserved in Connect for future reference.

My suggestion is to take a leave for a while.  Then review our feelings one more time when the dust settles.  It will be the time for us to look forward for the LG program, for our personal development.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring us.

Level 8

Thanks for taking your time to reply guys. I'm not trying to be selfish, the problem is not about me not receiving an invitation, it's about excludding my country from this event. I believe we had good candidates to attent this year Summit. As I mentioned before, I'm 95% sure Mexico got excluded from the event since there is not a single user who applied and is active on Connect forums, sharing his/her invitation which lead me to the conclussion that we got excluded. I believe that being active on Connect forums is the best way to improve your contributions since you receive feedback from them, any Local Guide Level 5 who is not active here shouldn't be considered as a user who wants to improve this program.

I'm not leaving this program because I believe it's really important to our communities but I'm taking a hiatus (a break) from it. I know our feelings must be messed up since we didn't get invited and I understand the best option is to take a break and organize our ideas and feelings in order to keep contributing with our community. I would like the Local Guides Team to think about this situation since we noticed people who just joined the Connect forums to apply got selected. I don't see a valid reason to invite them, the purpose should be to invite Local Guides who are contributing with each other at Connect forums to improve their Map contributions. Why did they invite people who doesn't have idea on how to improve the program, once you are active at Connect forums you realize about some things that must be improved and you share ideas to help the team. I understand not a lot of people post since they are just reading and learning but inviting people who joined the forum only to apply for the Summit? Why? I hope we receive an answer from the Local Guides Team about this.

Luis Hernández - Querétaro, México. Queretaro Local Guides
Level 10

@LuisHM This is great to know the fact!!

Keeping on fact and truth 🙂