YasumiKikuchi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[DEEP JAPAN] Why is New Year the most important day for Japanese people?

New Year is the most important event for Japanese. Even Japanese culture that does not stop working is closed most of the company in the week before and after. Most of them spend time with their families. Greetings with neighbors and friends, but they do not schedule each other. Why is it the most important day?

Japanese believe that the future will change drastically with a milestone

Milestone is called "節目 fushime" in Japanese. Beyond the milestone, it is believed that my future will change. They think that things that were not good turns smoothly, or smooth turns bad. Therefore, various preparations are needed for the New Year, so take cultural holidays.

190102-115625_R.jpg

Hatsumode🙏
"初詣 Hatsu-mode" is the first visit to the shrine in New Year.

We naturally visit the shrine and arrange our minds so that the changing future will not get worse🙏.

190102-105920_R.jpg

( Osaki Hachiman-gu Shrine Sendai, Miyagi, Japan)

There is Reborn 's thought in Japan. They think that 2018 will die and 2019 will be born again. When the New Year comes, a new god "歳徳神 Toshi-gami(God of year)" is born, so visit to see God at the shrine👸.

190102-114420_R.jpg

When We first meet a new god, God will remember us. Because the God of Japan is very kind and serviceable, it supports people who are familiar👸👍.

190102-111753_R.jpg

Omikuji🔖

Many people draw a "おみくじ Omikuji (fortune-telling)". There are several types of Omikuji results.

1. "大吉 Dai-kichi" is the most luck😆.
  2. "中吉 Chu-kichi" is ordinary luck😃.
  3. "小吉 Sho-kichi" is slightly weak luck😊.
  4. "末吉 Sue-kichi" is weak luck😐.
  5. ”凶 Kyo” is bad luck😯.
  6. "大凶 Dai-kyo" is Very bad luck😱.

Everyone would like to attract "1. Dai-kichi". But in fact, your luck will get better for any Omikuji result😃.

190102-110957_R.jpg

Why is luck getting better?🤔 

If you draw "1. Dai-kichi", you will gain momentum with success experience😍. However, the carelessness increases😝. If you draw "6. Dai-kyo", you will be disappointed😰. However, you will care about things carefully for a year🤔.

Shinto teaches us that "everything depends on your way of thinking" through Omikuji.

By the way I drew "4. Sue-kichi" in 2018 and 2019. It was a great lucky year invited to Connect Live 2018!😆

190102-115844_R.jpg

There are Food stands in Omotesando

”表参道 Omote-sando” is the main street of the shrine. There are lots of Food stands lined up there🍡🍺🍵🍢🍦

190102-121442_R.jpg

This is a Tohoku distinctive rice dumplings called "Basho dango"🍡.

190102-122700_R.jpg

"Fried noodles"🍝

190102-123433_R.jpg

"Takoyaki"🐙

190102-121829_R.jpg

"Tama-Konnyaku" of Tohoku specialties🍢

190102-120941_R.jpg

And it is "甘酒 Ama-zake (Sweet sake)" extracted from sake cake. There is no alcohol. As for sweet sake, the shrine is injecting the power of God🍶.

190102-124053_R.jpg

They go home when they are full. A busy Japanese will rest your body only during the New Year🛌.

How does your country spend the New Year? How important is?

[DEEP JAPAN] Worships the first sunrise in Japan's Happy New Year🌅

[DEEP JAPAN] Did you know "Shinto"?

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

日本、宮城県仙台市青葉区八幡4丁目6−1 大崎八幡宮
30 comments
Level 10

Re: [DEEP JAPAN] Why is New Year the most important day for Japanese people?

Thank you subscribers @TravellerG @zafahim @potaro67 @Ivi_Ge @IrrPavlova @DeniGu

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage

Connect Moderator

It's really nice that every Omikuji result is viewed positively. The food looks really good, and your photos and video are great. I love how the video was edited.

@YasumiKikuchi Thank you for sharing yet another Japanese tradition related to New Year's, I wish you and every Japanese Local Guide a very lucky year!

Level 9

Another fascinating look into Japanese culture and tradition!  Are there always food stands outside the temples???  A wonderful way to finish a visit to the shrine!

In the US, we do have some traditions for New Years Day that are about insuring good luck.  Most of them have to do with foods to be eaten on Jan 1st to insure good luck.

If you live in the Southern United States, you might eat Ham with Black-eyed Peas, Greens and Cornbread.101126787-Cabbage-Greens-Ham-Black-Eyed-Peas-Cornbread-Photo-by-Meredith-resized.jpg

This dish is for monetary luck...."peas for pennies, greens for dollars, and cornbread for gold."

I'm originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US.  Our traditional New Years dish was always Pork Roast with Sauerkraut.  Many German, Polish and Jewish foods are part of a Pittsburgh New Year.

Pigs root around with their snouts moving in a forward motion, which is why many cultures around the world eat pork on New Year's Day to symbolize progress for the coming year.Pigs root around with their snouts moving in a forward motion, which is why many cultures around the world eat pork on New Year's Day to symbolize progress for the coming year.

I spent my New Year's Day with friends that are Italian American.  Grapes on the table are something you must have.  In Spain and Mexico, eating 12 grapes at midnight as the clock strikes once for each hour will bring you luck for the 12 months ahead.

Beyond the foods we eat, we do have some other traditions like kissing at the stroke of midnight.  Some hold the superstition that failing to kiss someone ensures a year of loneliness.

?Kimberly on Social ? Google Maps  ? Instagram ? Facebook ? Twitter ?️YouTube ?San Francisco Local Guides

Level 10

Happy New Year @Jesi I wish you a year of good luck🤗
I appreciate your high appreciation and glad that you are interested in Japan. I will tag future articles if you want👍

Level 10

I wanted to know American culture @KimberlyAnnG😍
Thanks for the details, it seems that the New Year is also an important change day in the Americas in the north and south as well. It is very interesting to associate currency with beans, green and gold respectively😮.
Pittsburgh seems to inherit the tradition of Europe. Pig's nose certainly seems to mean rise🐷📈. It is interesting to raise your fortune by eating grapes all night! It's physical strength game!😂

I want to know more about American culture. It is left to your article😉

Former Google Contributor

Hi again, @YasumiKikuchi. Thanks for sharing with the community these heartwarming Japanese New Year customs. What was your Omikuji result? 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

Nice article, @YasumiKikuchi. And very informative.

Never knew that new year is very meaningful in Japan.

Nice photographs!

And happy new year to you! 

Greetings from Indonesia :))

Google Moderator

Hi @YasumiKikuchi,

That's an amazing post!

Thank you for explaining in such detail the importance of New Year celebrations in Japan. Many things are new to me. I knew about hatsu-mode and omikuji, but I didn't know that Japanese people visit the shrines to welcome the new god of the year. 🙂

I celebrated once in Tenchi shrine, Kannami, Shizuoka prefecture. We were a group of exchange students, and were responsible for putting up bamboo lanterns. I tried the delicious ama-zake there!

Caption: A photo of the Tenchi shrine's main building at sunset, with many bamboo lanterns placed on the ground in front of it in Kannami, Japan. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A photo of the Tenchi shrine's main building at sunset, with many bamboo lanterns placed on the ground in front of it in Kannami, Japan. (Local Guide @DeniGu)

As for the celebrations in Bulgaria, we usually welcome the new year with friends, either at home or outside. Something special that we prepare is a type of pastry dish, called "banitsa", cut into pieces. In each piece we put a piece of paper with a wish for the new year. It is believed that what you get will definitely come true. This year I got "a new car" and "money". Let's see! :))

Right at midnight we dance the traditional dance "horo". We hold hands and form a long line or a circle, and follow a special choreography. The best thing about this dance is that you can hold hands with complete strangers, and nobody minds - everyone is smiling and happy!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Hi @IrrPavlova Thank you for subscribing😃

This year as well as 2018 "4. Suekichi (weak luck)" was😗 In other words, for me it means lucky😆