YasumiKikuchi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[DEEP JAPAN] Japanese Valentine's day🍫💖

Chocolate like Japanese painting (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Chocolate like Japanese painting (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)

Today is a day of love💖

In the case of Japan, the custom of Valentine's Day began after the war. We generally give chocolate from women to men👱‍♀️🍫🧑. Recently men sometimes give to women (I also give it).

Chocolate like Japanese painting (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Chocolate like Japanese painting (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Chocolate like Japanese painting (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Chocolate like Japanese painting (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Chocolate like Japanese painting (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Chocolate like Japanese painting (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Chocolate like Japanese painting (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Chocolate like Japanese painting (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)

Japanese chocolate is influenced by "和菓子 Wa-gashi=Japanese style desserts". It looks like a Japanese painting🖼.

Especially Kyoto's chocolate is very beautiful😃

Japanese chocolate plate (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Japanese chocolate plate (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)

Another popular chocolate is a dish called "plate"🍴.

Japanese chocolate (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Japanese chocolate (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)

Actually, Japanese do not offer chocolate only to loved ones. We will give it to those who are taken care of even for people who do not feel love either. Ironically, saying that as "obligatory chocolate". Furthermore, there is "White Day" as a unique culture of Japan. It is necessary to repay more than the amount of chocolate received one month later. In this way we are deepening relationships🙂🍫🙂.

Why did we become such a culture? That is the success of marketing of Japanese chocolate companies😂🍫😎!

Please introduce your country's Valentine's Day!

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

日本、京都府京都市中京区桝屋町(三条通)66 ベルアメール 京都別邸
24 comments
Level 10

Re: [DEEP JAPAN] Japanese Valentine's day🍫💖

Thank you for always subscribing @TravellerG @asifMojtoba @Jesi @CilineR @potaro67 @davidhyno 

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage

Google Moderator

Thank you so much for this post @YasumiKikuchi. For me every time when I see your post is a great pleasure to read it and I like them all. 

In Japan Valentine’s Day is celebrated in a very unique style as I remembered. It is the women who present gifts to men. On White Day men are supposed to give return gifts to women who gifted them chocolates on Valentine's Day. Right? 

Here in Bulgaria we also celebrate Valentine’s day. But on the same day there is another holiday - Wine Holiday or as we call it here Trifon Zarezan. It is a day dedicated to the first labor of the year needed when taking care of the vineyards – the cutting of the unnecessary branches at the beginning of February.

However, nowadays, February 14 has been turned into a combined holiday when Bulgarians celebrate their love for their better half, or their love for wine.

So, cheers 🙂 

Caption: A photo showing two glasses of red wine and candies on the table. (Local Guide @PoliMC)Caption: A photo showing two glasses of red wine and candies on the table. (Local Guide @PoliMC)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Hello @YasumiKikuchi,

Thank you for sharing these pieces of art with us. These chocolats look amazingly beautiful, almost ,if not, perfect! 

Your post took me to my childhood when I first got introduced to the Japanese Valentine's day, and which was through the third film of Sailor Moon. In the animated film, the girls were offering chocolat and homemade cookies to their beloved ones. 🙂

In Bulgaria and Morocco, several people are very skeptical about such celebrations, and they say that they don't need a particular day to show their love to someone else. On the other hand, the ones who are celebrating it, usually go to restaurants or simply enjoy a dinner at home around a bottle of wine.  

PS: I love every kind of celebration, as long as there is good food, drink and laugh. 🙂

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

Thank you for subscribing @Ivi_Ge

I need to refrain from tagging the moderator, but please continue to subscribe🤗.

As you say, in principle women give men, and White Day reverses♻. However recently, men may give women. We call it "逆チョコ Gyaku choco". It means "Gyaku = reverse".

Thank you for letting me know about your wine anniversary in your culture! I feel that your culture is beautiful🏞. I think that wine and chocolate have good compatibility🍫🍷

Level 10

Thank you for reading @BorrisS 
Because the culture in which we hand chocolate is so obvious, it is often the subject of animation📺.
Because Japanese are polite to refrain, it is a culture that should not frequently express love😬. Therefore I think that it developed into such a culture. This humility of Japan will be seen strangely in most foreign countries😂

Former Google Contributor

Hello @YasumiKikuchi,

Thank you for the wonderful post. The chocolates on your pictures look so fancy and well made, that they got me wishing I could buy some. 🙂

To me as a foreigner, when I started living in Korea, the most noticeable thing was how important romantic relationships are to Koreans. Apart from Valentine’s day, Korean couples tend to celebrate different small couple holidays on the 14th of every month (for example giving each other planners at the beginning of the year, dressing in yellow and giving each other roses or exchanging promise rings). There are three interconnected holidays, two of them similar to the Japanese ones you mentioned - Valentine’s Day (14th of February), White Day (14th of March) and Black Day (14th of April).

In Korea, the 14th of February is when women give presents to their partner or their crush. Then, on White Day, men return the gesture by presenting their loved ones with gifts to prove their requited affection. The last one, which I suppose is unique to Korea, is Black day, when single friends, who did not receive any chocolates or gifts, dress all in black then gather to eat Jjajangmyeon / 짜장면 (Noodles with black bean paste). This dish is considered a comfort food and the black color is meant to represent the gloomy mood of not being a part of a couple.
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Thank you for reading @LilyanaZ 
Thank you for teaching interesting culture in Korea😃. Because the basic spirituality of Japan is inherited from Korea, the culture that exchanges gifts is very similar. However, love expression seems to be more passionate by Koreans than Japanese people😚!
By the way, is it Black Day? How self-degradation🤣!

Level 7

在台北市的情人節~
年輕人的創意是2人騎著摩托車🏍️上竹子湖,看海芋,旁邊有花店,一大把玫瑰🌹$200元。
竹子湖兩側還有很多的餐廳,可以小小飽餐一頓。最後的重頭戲是到陽明山的文化大學後面,有景觀餐廳看著夕陽🌇餘暉,吃著好吃😋的雙人套餐。
接下來的是「不惑之年的情人節」,大部分都會跟花店訂花、請假去吃大餐。
這一天若是平常日,請假的人超多的!
台灣地區、巧克力🍫比較不太流行!

Level 10

感謝你教授台灣文化 @LaiChian 

台北是世界上最大的摩托車城市,所以它會發展成這樣一種文化

我知道台灣人最喜歡吃飯! 我認為收集晚餐是你們快樂的幸福🍴😋