JURAVIN's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

DEAD SEA IS THE LOWEST POINT IN THE WORLD - it's in Israel

1,412 ft below sea level - earth lowest place - visited by HOLY LAND MAN1,412 ft below sea level - earth lowest place - visited by HOLY LAND MAN

Earth's lowest elevation on land and mythical stories of the Bible.

With a salinity of 342 g/kg, or 34.2% it's the world's saltiest bodies of water.

How salty? 9.6 times as salty as the ocean and with a density of 1.24 kg/litre and that's why you float. 

Why is it the lowest place on earth?

There are two contending hypotheses about the origin of the low elevation of the Dead Sea. The older hypothesis is that the Dead Sea lies in a true rift zone, an extension of the Red Sea Rift, or even of the Great Rift Valley of eastern Africa. A more recent hypothesis is that the Dead Sea basin is a consequence of a "step-over" discontinuity along the Dead Sea Transform, creating an extension of the crust with consequent subsidence.

The Isrotel Hotel had the lowest service as well. 

Is it healthy?

The Dead Sea area has become a location for health research and potential treatment for several reasons. The mineral content of the water, the low content of pollens and other allergens in the atmosphere, the reduced ultraviolet component of solar radiation, and the higher atmospheric pressure at this great depth each may have specific health effects. For example, persons experiencing reduced respiratory function from diseases such as cystic fibrosis seem to benefit from the increased atmospheric pressure.

Climatotherapy at the Dead Sea may be a therapy for psoriasis by sunbathing for long periods in the area due to its position below sea level and subsequent result that UV rays are partially blocked by the increased cloud cover over the Dead Sea.

Cure for Rhinosinusitis
Rhinosinusitis patients receiving Dead Sea saline nasal irrigation exhibited improved symptom relief compared to standard hypertonic saline spray in one study.

Cure for Osteoarthritis
Dead Sea mud pack therapy has been suggested to temporarily relieve pain in patients with osteoarthritis of the knees. According to researchers of the Ben Gurion University of the Negev, treatment with mineral-rich mud compresses can be used to augment conventional medical therapy.
HOLY LAND MAN
Dead Sea, Israel
4 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: DEAD SEA IS THE LOWEST POINT IN THE WORLD - it's in Israel

Hello @JURAVIN,

I have just released your post from the Spam Filters.

I would like to apologize for your post being marked as spam. Our filters run 24/7 and they can be a little harsh at times.

You can visit this article to learn more - Why was my Connect post marked as spam?

It seems that some of your text is taken from another source, and I will kindly ask you to re-edit it, because this is against the rules of Connect. For further information, please read the following link

You seem to be new on Connect so, please take some time to read the following article which will help you in

the Community: 14 helpful tips for using Connect. 

You can always introduce yourself and get to know other Local Guides via our monthly topic

Introduce Yourself - March 2019.

PS: I will put your post in section Travel on Connect, as it fits better there. 

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

Thanks for sharing photos and story @JURAVIN. I've only been on Jordan side of Dead Sea.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Level 7

Talking about the world... I'm married to a Polish woman so  "harsh" or "misjudging" is part of my daily routine...  I pray for- wisdom to understand my husband Don Karl Juravin.png

HOLY LAND MAN
Level 7

As much as I love Israel, I think the Jordanian side is nicer. 

HOLY LAND MAN