Herve_Andrieu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Contributing to Google Maps

Hello fellow guides,

I started contributing to Google Maps a few years ago because I am a user of Google Maps and this service was so useful in my everyday life, always finding the way to any place I needed to visit, showing a few pictures and reviews before I would get there. When I discovered that anyone could contribute, I thought it made perfect sense. I am a visual person, so seeing before visiting makes me comfortable and that's what I first focused my participation to Google Maps on. Taking pictures of touristic places and attractions I would visit and also businesses in the area. More and more I added local businesses as I understood people like to see and know the stores before they visit them. I try to show the places without too many people on the pictures whenever possible as I try to be considerate of people's privacy.

I have slowly expanded my participation with reviews, but I try to provide a relevant reviews of the various places I visit that provides a bit of information about it, about the staff, about the products/services. I have to admit that I tend to leave more easily reviews when I like the places then when I don't like them and the reason is the following: lots of the places I visit are small businesses that try to make a living. If the food I got during my visit was not properly cooked, maybe the there was a problem in the kitchen I couldn't see, if the waiter didn't come to help me fast enough, maybe he was overwhelmed because someone was sick and missing... 1 disappointing experience shouldn't be enough to penalize a business. However if I see a pattern of repeated disappointment, I try to make it clear to all users of Google Maps that they should avoid the place.

After a few years of "guiding" on Google Maps, I try to remember to take a few pictures whenever I go to a place I have not visited before or that could receive more information to share. My addiction to sharing to help others on Google Maps makes me take pictures specifically for Google Maps during each and every vacation trip I have taken since I started... I have now pictures in 12 countries and probably a dozen US states.

It's Friday evening, so enjoy a nice week end.

One of my contributions of the day: a sour pisco (Peruvian drink) in a Cuban restaurant in a US city...

Passion sour piscoPassion sour pisco

Delray Beach, FL, USA