KhamphoutS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Connect Live 2018 on Vientiane Times, Lao PDR

Hi local guides, 

It's been awhile after my recap for the post Connect Live 2018 experiences and the local leading foreign language newspaper Vientiane Times (www.vientianetimes.org.la) in Lao PDR requested to interview me on my attended this summit since November 2018 and it's was publishing on January 8th 2019. 

I'm happy more to share this news with you and of course very sincere and thank to @TraciC @brittym and all local guide team who make this wonderful summit successfully. Below is article detail.  

Local Guides attend Google conference 

VIENTIANE (Vientiane Times/ANN) - Search engine Google held its annual conference on mapping services to share knowledge on service innovations with 151 technology enthusiasts from 59 countries, known as Local Guides.

Article in Vientiane Times issue 8th January 2019Article in Vientiane Times issue 8th January 2019

The guides included a volunteer from Laos, who attended the ‘Local Guides Connect Live 2018’ event in San Francisco recently. “I am volunteering my services as it will help place Laos on the international map and help tourists trace places of significance. Marking such places accurately on the Google map will help tourists,” Lao volunteer from Vientiane, Mr Khamphout Somboun, said. He works for the major fuel company PetroTrade.

Local Guides are volunteer fixers, finders, and reviewers of Google Maps. They add landmarks, post photos, and check to make sure the listed data is accurate.

Google Maps is a web mapping service which offers satellite imagery, street maps, 360° panoramic views of streets (Street View), real-time traffic conditions (Google Traffic), and route planning for travel by foot, car, bicycle and air (in beta), or public transportation.

Google Maps Vice President Dane Glasgow flashed back to the performance of mapping services which received over 77,000 reviews in the past year. “There were 6.5 lakhs of new photos and 93 thousands new places tagged with the service while 31 million users received services from Google Maps during this period,” Dane said.

At the three-day event the 151 local guides presented the territorial activities in eight sessions, which focused on innovations by Google for improving its services for local guides across the world.

Local guides from different territories of the world shared their experiences. They also shared individual challenges faced at the local level with Google officials and the team officers providing solutions.

Source: https://vientianetimes.org.la & http://annx.asianews.network/content/local-guides-attend-google-conference-laos-89380

Article Online version in www.vientianetimes.org.laArticle Online version in www.vientianetimes.org.la

24 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Connect Live 2018 on Vientiane Times, Lao PDR

Wow. 

Congratulations on the post @KhamphoutS

Connect Moderator

Very cool for you @KhamphoutS and Laos :). Well done.

Level 10

Thank you @OmerAli 

Happy to be part of the event 😁

Level 10

Indeed @PaulPavlinovich

I hopefully that local guide community in Lao is growing up more and more 😁

Level 10

Congratulations @KhamphoutS 
This is an honor! You will gain people's trust in future activities!

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 9

@KhamphoutS that is excellent because it promotes the program in your country. 

¡Bravo, así se hace!

Beatriz Aguilar | bandera-de-venezuela-imagen-animada-0001| Instagram
Level 10

Yes @YasumiKikuchi 

I wish that this news make more people interesting to join the local guide community 

Level 10

Thank you @BeatrizAguilar 🙏 

Because in my country still very few people who volunteers to do this I hoe that this new will make them understand how important of Maps in order to make it more accuracy by the local like us 😁