EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Connect Live 2018: One Important Take Away

It was nice to learn that Local Guide is not just about Google Maps but also a programme focused on helping the world become a better place. Caption: A Googler, Juan,.higlighting the four thematic areas at Connect Live.2018Caption: A Googler, Juan,.higlighting the four thematic areas at Connect Live.2018 Juan Christie, highlighted some projects initiated by Local Guides in their communities. What marvelled me specifially was the nun whom has been actively contributing to the maps in order to help the less priviledged.

He mentioned four major categories which Local Guides should explore. 1. Health

2. Environment

3. Education

4. Human Rights

This was a vital information that would guide LGs towards making more meaningful impact within their localities.

Surely, the four thematic areas are critical for development and supported by the United Nations as part of the Sustainable Development Goals SDGs.Caption: Local Guide @EmekaHouse holding an accessibility sign at his last meetup in LagosCaption: Local Guide @EmekaHouse holding an accessibility sign at his last meetup in Lagos

Since accessibility is under item number four, human rights, I will continue to pursue accessibility for everyone in my community and across the world. Always grateful to @TraciC for inspiration and Local.Guides for the support.

Now it's time to go to work and impact the world. What is your community lacking and how are you intervening?

H.E.E.H ! Lets guide more...

Xoxo Emeka

Owerri, Nigeria
10 comments
Level 10

Re: Connect Live 2018: One Important Take Away

@EmekaUlor i am also try to focus on that 4 topic now start 3 week long accessibility Photo walk and awareness Sticker .  already print 1500 Sticker and set in commercial Building , 7 city 14 place camping our plan already 9 place done . 

Bangladesh Local Guides Member set sticker "Not available " where not available  any wheelchair friendly path

Before add Sticker Local Guides Check Portable Wheelchair path working or not 

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

Hello @EmekaUlor

Thank you for sharing aknowledge post . I m working in three categories here, environment, education and human rights (Accessibility).

In environment there is a big need to aware people about ocean pollution and need of plantation. 

For education, there is a big problem of poverty, which increases the issues of child labor, who do not go to school Specially we are working here for women's education, because still some boys can go school, but thousands of girls here not allowes to go to any educational institutes. There is a big gap to fill here about education.

And about accessiblity, as you and my friend @IlankovanT always guide me, and now I'm very much aware how to work and how to educate more people about that sensitive issue

Now Specially in Pakistan, not only we have to educate people about these increasing problems and issues but also to address it by pratical on field work.

Thank you again brother

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 1

Nice

Former Google Contributor

Hi @EmekaUlor,

Thanks for sharing!

You are absolutely right, being a Local Guide is about making the world a better place for everyone. 

You are definitely doing great things with your accessibility campaign, and I think that businesses will make more of an effort when they see how much focus there is on the subject. 

If everyone has these 4 factors in mind, we will come a long way. 

As a reminder, please refrain from using photos that are not your own when posting on Connect.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

Interesting write-up @EmekaUlor. I commend your selfless effort with the accessibility campaign. I reckon next year should be the time to step things up. The state government, as well as private players, have a tremendous role to play in this cause.

I echo your sentiments @KashifMisidia. It goes beyond mere talking and discussions. Are ideas and suggestions for improvement on these 4 keys areas being implemented? What metric are we using to measure progress? What's the end goal that we're looking forward to?

The tiniest ways you touch someone’s life add up.
Connect Moderator

@MahabubMunna great job you are doing in Bangladesh! I guess we have a lot to share and cover in order to make the world more accessible.

Cheers.

Connect Moderator

@KashifMisidiathank you for being a strong advicate. I understand your challenges in Pakistan. It's not different in Nigeria. Let's keep creating more awareness until the barriers are removed.

Thank you brother!

Connect Moderator

@MortenSI I appreciate your commendation. We are changing our communities one step at a time.

I try to post pictures from my collection, just like the ones in this write-up, except there's an issue with it then I can uodate it.

Thank you for the reminder.

Connect Moderator

Grateful for your words of moivation @Adebambo and I look forward to.gaining your full support towards taking this to the next level, soon. 

Let's join forces to ensure accessibility for everyone.