VinnyBom's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Compensation for contribution

Hey Local Guides, how are you?

I was thinking the other day and it hit me, shouldn't google actually create a reward or some kind of compensation for people that are going the extra mile here. What differs a level 10 from a level 4 or 5?

Sorry if I'm being too forward here, but it is a question that's being bugging me for a while.

Thanks in advance for your considerations

14 comments
Level 10

Re: Compensation for contribution

Hello @VinnyBom,

I don't want to comment on other issues. But there can be similarities between level 4 guide and level 10 guide also. It can be both have same spirit and dedication but their time of joining in the map are varying. Level 4 is the basis of level 10. That is why many fellows in high level are always encouraging new comers without having any feeling of competition.

Since all the guides are contributing voluntarily so I think there is no necessity of comparison. All have their own parameters and circumstances. But it doesn't mean that to be in level 10 is nothing. Occasionally Google is providing different perks depending upon the level of local guides. 

Thank you so much. 🙂

Level 7

Yes, but still, what kinds of perks other than "being known"?

Level 10

@VinnyBom I just remembered few perks like 'google play music perk', 'google play movie perk', free upgrade to ola, save on a trip with red bus, participation to local guide summit on Google expenses etc. For perks you need to be stay tuned as there is no schedule for happening of them.

Level 10

@ViniciusB wrote:

Yes, but still, what kinds of perks other than "being known"?

...it ends with the rat race; with flood of worthless reviews, edits and images; with spaming GMaps. It's better to have less new content than content created by perks hunters.

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Level 8
Level 8

@VinnyBom I am part of the Local Guides to give something back to the community and help fellow users with good comments, ratings and photos.

That is my reward, and is bigger than a t-shirt or some discount coupon. 

I am not really looking for any material compensation, actually if Google will do that it will feel demeaning to my contribution. One man's opinion, I recognize that. 

Level 8

Hi @VinnyBom  & @PTKLENK Greeting my friends!

At Level 4, you also unlock your first Local Guides badge, which helps your contributions to places get noticed. Not much of difference will be there between 4 or 10 or 1, end of the every contribution is what matters. 

Please be noted that this is a volunteer program and we enjoy or you can say we are passionate about it, there isn't a direct financial gain to it. Sometimes there could be small perks given just to encourage us along the way, but that shouldn't be taken as a financial gain, as it's usually quite small.  

As a Local Guide, you earn points for sharing reviews, photos, and knowledge on Google Maps. Those points lead to higher levels of the program, as well as benefits like early access to Google features and special perks from partners. Perks and benefits for the Local Guides program are always changing.  Benefits like invites to special events are made available to our high quality and actively contributing Local Guides. Here is a review of our points system

Local Guides also enjoy early access to new product features as well as occasional perks from some of our partners and benefits from Google. There is no financial compensation from being a Local Guide as this is an at-will program that you are free to contribute to at your own leisure. 

To make sure you are in the know on future updates, please ensure your email-settings are set to receive updates on 'Perks' and 'News & Product Updates'

I totally agree on your point my friend @ele

Regards,

Jagadeesh reddy.

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Level 7

Not trying to start a revolution here guys, but I remember back in the day in my city (Rio de Janeiro), Google used to pay people to register new business and whatnot. That's why I'm asking here.

I'm not saying goggle should pay people, but at least try to give something back to the community that has being filling these guys bank account. 

C'mon, a lot of people por real effort in to bringing the best experience for the platform. 

Level 8

Ha ha ha then it's your wish friend 🙂 @PTKLENK. I'm pretty sure you know the rules and regulations of LG 🙂 don't let your account to be suspended my friend. 

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Level 10

@PTKLENK wrote:

Willing to give everything to a company that offers nothing in return.

@PTKLENK

So, are you paying for using Google Maps? For navigation, for My Maps? For Google Translate, Calendar, Keep, Searching, GDrive, GDocs and GMail?

There is no compulsion to contribute to Google Maps. There is no compulsion to be a Local Guide. Rules are clear. It's your choice.

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL