TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Community Moderator Support

@TraciC I have been moderating in my region for quite some time now but not received the Moderate in my region blue badge, do I qualify for that on?

I'm referring to Perth Local Guides Community, kind regards  @DavidTito

My Community Perth Local Guides CommunityMy Community Perth Local Guides Community

@TraciC wrote:

The Local Guides team recently made some changes to the community moderator program and I wanted to share some updates with you, though the full details can be found in our Help Center:

• New community moderators are encouraged to view our newly-created best practices video which will replace our previously-offered training Hangouts.
  • Among other basic requirements, the Local Guides team will now only support Local Guides communities that at have at least 50 members and have consistent community activity around the Local Guides program.
  • These guidelines apply to new and existing community owners. For supported communities that have less than 50 members, we have been in touch with the community owners.
  • Supported community moderators will receive access to an exclusive, private board here on Local Guides Connect.

I know I speak for the entire team when I say that we are looking forward to supporting more communities and seeing you in upcoming Hangouts. I know you may have some questions, so below are a few answers to some questions we anticipated. We’ll update the below FAQs as needed so feel free to come back to this post.

FAQs

Where can I see all communities supported by the Local Guides team?

You can see the My Map of supported communities on the Local Guides website (g.co/localguides).

Does my community have to be on Google+?

You’re welcome to create a community on any platform. Before creating one, be sure to check this My Map managed by the Local Guides team to see if a supported community already exists in your area.

How do I get 50 members?

Posting great content about your area will most likely attract new members to your community. Share about your community with your friends and fellow Local Guides, but don’t spam other communities (or Connect) about it. It’s OK to share about your community but be sure to do it when relevant. If you're Level 5, you are also welcome to include a link to your community in your signature on Connect.

How do you select a community for support?

Please complete the application form available in the Help Center. Some basic requirements include:

• Being owned by a Local Guide Level 3+
  • At least 50 members
  • Consistent community activity around the Local Guides program
  • That your area does not already have a community supported by the Local Guides team

I’ve filled out an application but I haven’t heard from the team.

The Local Guides team reviews applications on a rolling (regular basis) and due to the volume of applications, will only contact those who have been selected to receive support.

How big or small of an area should my community cover?

Your community may be for an entire country or for a city, but we recommend creating a community where conversation will flow freely and people will be able to meet-up or find one another easily and where you, as an owner, have some hands-on experience to drive engagement and conversations. Some of the most popular communities are for entire countries, and some are for small islands. 🙂 Remember, the Local Guides team only supports one community moderator (one owner) per area.

What are the perks of being a supported community moderator?

Supported community moderators receive:

• Inclusion on our My Map, featured on our website and social media
  • Access to a private board in Connect for supported community moderators
  • A special badge in Connect
  • Invitations to monthly Hangouts with the Local Guides team
  • Access to design assets and templates including a profile photo template to show your Local Guides status across your social media channels

How long will you support my community?

The Local Guides team will support your community as long as you follow the Local Guides program rules and your community follows our community guidelines.

Do other moderators in my community also receive support?

The Local Guides team only supports one community moderator (one owner) per area. You are welcome to share learnings and best practices from the Hangouts and private forum with your fellow moderators as nothing shared is confidential.

I see that you currently only offer community support in English and Spanish but I am not fluent in English or Spanish. What about me?

We are always working on adding more features and benefits to the Local Guides program, including additional languages. At this time, we are only able to offer support for English and Spanish Local Guides. If you meet the basic requirements, we encourage you to complete an application as if we offer additional languages, we’ll reach out to you first.

What happens if I am selected?

The Local Guides team will send you an email to let you know that you have been selected to receive support.

Is this the same thing as being a Connect moderator?

No, a Connect moderator is a Local Guide who moderates Connect alongside the Local Guides team. You can learn more about it in this post.

Why are there communities if Connect exists?

Local Guides Connect is a single, global community moderated by Googlers where you can connect with Local Guides around the corner or across the country. The team is in the process of rolling out additional features and elements to make the experience even better. The team supports select Local Guides communities on all platforms where people feel most comfortable connecting with one another. Local Guides are still encouraged to connect online and offline with various tools made available via Connect and the Local Guides website.

Where can I find more information?

In the Local Guides Help Center.

CommunityModeratorPostGraphic_1d.png

Former Google Contributor

Hello @DavidTito,

Thank you for your note.  It appears that you are not an Unofficial Community Moderator which is why you have not received that badge.  I'd like to refer you to our Community Moderator 101 post which has been recently updated. At this time, we are having an internal audit to understand how we can better support active community contributors and for this reason we won't be accepting new community applications or adding new community moderators to the private Unofficial Community Moderator board on Connect. The blue badge you are referencing is unavailable at this time until further notice.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 8

@BruceDM Just to clarify your comment below your say this  "Quote" It appears that you are not an Unofficial Community Moderator which is why you have not received that badge. Please explain these screenshots I have taken today and I was made Moderator on 10 March so I think your assumption is wrong as shown below

So explain yourself please

@BruceDM wrote:

Hello @DavidTito,

Thank you for your note.  It appears that you are not an Unofficial Community Moderator which is why you have not received that badge.  I'd like to refer you to our Community Moderator 101 post which has been recently updated. At this time, we are having an internal audit to understand how we can better support active community contributors and for this reason we won't be accepting new community applications or adding new community moderators to the private Unofficial Community Moderator board on Connect. The blue badge you are referencing is unavailable at this time until further notice.

David Tito is now ModeratorDavid Tito is now Moderator

My community list which I am a Member ofMy community list which I am a Member of

Screen shot taken 5mins ago29-septScreen shot taken 5mins ago29-sept

Perth Local Guides Community (Owner) and  (moderator) screen shot taken 5mins ago 29-septtPerth Local Guides Community (Owner) and (moderator) screen shot taken 5mins ago 29-septt

Level 8

@BruceDM @TraciC @JeslynL please read @BruceDM Comment

@BruceDM wrote:

Hello @DavidTito,

Solution

Hello @DavidTito

Thanks for sharing those screenshots and please pardon any confusion with my original response.

What you are sharing in the screenshot confirms that you are indeed a community moderator for that Google+ community in Perth.  However, there is a distinction between being a community moderator and being a supported community moderator — one that receives support from the team (as outlined in the post above, which includes receiving the blue badge on Connect.  

As noted, the supported Community process is being reviewed at this time so this badge is currently unavailable until further notice. Thank you. 

Level 8

@BruceDM Thank you, a lot I was worried  about my position I am very patinate about what I do for my community and have worked hard to get it where it is and I am at more relief but I guess we will see when audits take place thank you kind regards @DavidTito

@BruceDM wrote:

Hello @DavidTito

Thanks for sharing those screenshots and please pardon any confusion with my original response.

What you are sharing in the screenshot confirms that you are indeed a community moderator for that Google+ community in Perth.  However, there is a distinction between being a community moderator and being a supported community moderator — one that receives support from the team (as outlined in the post above, which includes receiving the blue badge on Connect.  

As noted, the supported Community process is being reviewed at this time so this badge is currently unavailable until further notice. Thank you. 

@DavidTito - No worries. I'm happy to help and feel free to reach out at any time.

Level 8

@BruceDM thank you so much I have the URL here for my community could you please verify it for me please This is for Perth Local Guides Community, thank you kind regards @DavidTito

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/110017537076880982450

Hello @DavidTito,

I can see your community and I infer that you are looking to have your community supported by the team? If so,  i'd like to reiterate that having the community accepted for support is actually not possible at this time while the team is undergoing an internal audit for Communities. Thank you for your patience while we work through the process.

Level 8

@BruceDM ok so does this apply to all communities?

@BruceDM wrote:

Hello @DavidTito,

I can see your community and I infer that you are looking to have your community supported by Connect? If so,  i'd like to reiterate that having the community accepted for support is actually not possible at this time while the team is undergoing an internal audit for Communities. Thank you for your patience while we work through the process.