LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Comet 46P/Wirtanen in the sky

46P/Wirtanen comet photo by local guide LucioV46P/Wirtanen comet photo by local guide LucioV

This is from my bedroom window, early this morning. I don't have a telescope, this is an handheld shot with my D500 + 80-200 mm at ISO 1600 200mm f11

Roma, RM, Italia
11 comments
Level 8

Re: Comet 46P/Wirtanen in the sky

It is difficult to photograph the stars in the sky. I never get to do it. Lucky for you that the comet was so bright that you saw it without a telescope. It is very interesting!

Level 10

Level 10

Nice photo @LucioV  You are fortunate to live in an area where you can see so many stars. I currently live so close to NYC and the brightly lit metro area that it is unusual to see any stars at night. Enjoy your view and try to catch another good shot of the comet.  Regards, Koby

Level 10

Yes @Koby this is the direction where the city starts to leve space to open country, and these nights we are experincing very low temperatures, and this helps observation! 🙂

Former Google Contributor

Hi @LucioV,

What an impressive night sky!

I don't recall the last time I have seen such a clear night sky. 

For those of us who don't know that much about astronomy, can your tell us something about this comet 46P?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Thanks @MortenSI!

I'm not an astrophysic, I just love science and universe observation 🙂

I know this comet has a 4-5 years cycle and is a "jupiter" class comet; it's at "only" 11 million of kms from the earth now :), and even if is really little, 1.2 km, could be seen by naked eye!

Former Google Contributor

Thanks for the info @LucioV, even though I don't know much about this stuff, it's really interesting to me. 

"Only" 11 million kilometers seems like very far away to me, but relatively speaking it's probably close.

I have never seen a comet myself, but I hope I will one day. It must be a pretty impressive sight.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Informative.

Akther Hossain, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Level 8

Can we see it with the naked eyes?