helga19's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Christmas traditions in Russia.

Dear friends,

Today I would like to tell you about ancient Christmas tradition in Russia.

IMG_20171224_163725.jpg

Since ancient times, winter in Russia was considered the most fun time of the year.. The holidays began with Christmas. And prepared for it in advance. It was necessary to stock up on home-made, so even in the summer of Russian Housewives pickled and salted mushrooms, twisted different berries: cranberries, cloudberries and cranberries, a week before the holiday stabbed a pig or bought frozen pork carcass. The house before Christmas in Russia was put in perfect order. Pies and special Christmas cakes were baked in advance. Christmas holiday is preceded by a long fast, the last day of which is called Christmas eve.

To the table sat only with the appearance in the sky of the first star, the symbol of the star of Bethlehem. Christmas tradition.

image46.jpg   

There were 13 dishes on the Christmas table. For example: pigs stuffed with buckwheat porridge, hare in a pot, porridge in a pumpkin. As well as salads,fish snacks, red borscht, pies, rolls, gingerbread. The number of people making a festive meal had to be honest.

IMG_278.jpg

Everyone had to try every dish, the main of which was now considered “rich kutia” with cream, honey, spices, raisins and almonds. Christmas pudding is customarily supposed to drink the “sauce”. The so-called sweet drink similar to a thick compote or jelly, broth prepared from dried fruits and berries

“rich kutia”“rich kutia”

You can't be late for Christmas eve, it's the last day of lent. All family members come to visit in advance and together set the table. According to the Christmas tradition on this day eat sochivo (hence the name of the Nomad, which later transformed into Christmas Eve). Sochivo is a soaked grain of rye, wheat or rice with the addition of fruit and honey, now called ''kutia.''

The celebration of Christmas in Russia was certainly accompanied by folk festivals, sleigh rides, chants, fairs and theatrical performances.

0ac5e24bf34c4cac81078b38b6f5442d[1].jpg    

The most common and well-known divination at Christmas-a fortune-telling on the betrothed-mummers. That is why all unmarried girls in Russia were looking forward to the onset of this magical holiday. Magic-because it was on the night of Christmas could be the most extraordinary miracles, as detailed in the famous work "Evenings on a farm near Dikanka" N. Gogol.

Now Christmas in Russia is celebrated from 6 to 7 January.

The festive table at Christmas today serves a variety of treats.

35e131bfb0314779823fd9709b2fddc6[1].jpg311f5414e88b42c194c0de42ad18dce5[1].jpg   

Christmas folk festivals,sleigh rides.

Cities and towns are very festive at Christmas time.

SL706794.JPG

Moscow, Россия
12 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dot.: Christmas traditions in Russia.

Pięknie @helga19 Pięknie jest wrócić do tradycji, choć na ten jeden wieczór. Wiesz,że w noc wigilijną zwierzęta mówią ludzkim głosem? 😁 jako dziecko podsłuchiwałam psa - i nic! Pozdrawiam cię serdecznie 😊

Level 9

Hello @Anonymous

Thanks for comment!

I have never heard about that .-animsls can talk human voice) on Christmas Eve.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cześć @helga19 stara Polska legenda 😁 jako dziecko szczerze w to wierzyłam 😁

Level 9

Re: Christmas traditions in Russia.

شكراً @helga19

هذا فعلاً رائع شكراً للمشاركة 

Level 10

Rif.: Christmas traditions in Russia.

Ben ritrovata. Ci regali sempre meravigliosi post.  Mi dà gioia vedere tutta questa bella tradizione per il Natale. Complimenti.  Grazie e a presto. Buon fine settimana. 

Level 8

Amazing Post @helga19 Beautiful Photographs as always 

Level 9

Thank you very much @Eire27

@Carmelina62

@راضي

Level 10

Rif.: Christmas traditions in Russia.

Grazie mille. Troppo gentile.  Buon fine settimana a te. A presto. 

Former Google Contributor

Hey @helga19,

Thank you for introducing ancient Christmas traditions in Russia. As always it was a pleasure to read your post.

Unfortunately I've noticed that some of the photos in your content do not appear to be your own and as you know this is in violation of the Local Guides program rules. I would like to ask you to edit your post and remove or replace the photos that don't belong to you. Otherwise, as you know, I am obliged to remove the post from Connect.

If you face difficulties to understand plagiarism, please take a look at the How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect? post.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!