TheEagleEye's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Chlebíček

I is a typical Czech open sandwich always nicely decorated and much better than normal sandwiches. Foreigners are often not sure whether to eat it with cutlery or not, they say it‘s kind of messy, but all agree that it is tasty.

If you want to know how it sounds, use Google Translate and listen to audio.

This video explains it very well by a local https://youtu.be/3Q_H9gHXNsw

Just a reminder, I'm a Kiwi (New Zealander) and I have lived in Prague for 9 months with my wife who is Czech. It is very common to have these sandwiches when entertaining guests and are served when visiting friends and family at their homes.

If you visit Prague, try them here https://goo.gl/maps/uz34MoC94f92 or anywhere else you find them.

ChlebíčeChlebíče

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Czech Republic
9 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Chlebíček

Hi @TheEagleEye

I am really intrigued of trying them, especially after watching the video that you linked. I imagine having these with a nice pint of pils. Have you got suggestions on when it's the best period of the year to visit Prague? 

I know that @InaS recently visited it. Have you tried Chlebíček?

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Vendor

Thank you for tagging me @Sorbe. Yes I tried it and it was indeed delicious. It looks like a strange combination but it is very tasty. I suggest you to try Trdelnik.

Have you ever tried waffles from Waffle Point u Kajetana @TheEagleEye? In my opinion, they had the best waffles I've ever eaten. I'm sharing with you a picture:

Caption: Dark devil waffle from Waffle Point u Kajetana, Prague, Czech Republic. (Local Guide @InaS29)Caption: Dark devil waffle from Waffle Point u Kajetana, Prague, Czech Republic. (Local Guide @InaS29)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Hi @Sorbe. Having Chlebíček with any kind of beverage is fine. I enjoy mostly with a beer.

Suggested time of year to visit Prague. Well for me that isn't a local and only lived here permanently for past 9 months, I must say any time of the year is just as good. I've visited here very often previously as we have a home here and we lived and worked in the Middle East.

I had a great summer here as we were able to ride our bikes very often and other outdoor activities. Autumn bought the change of seasons and some beautiful colors on the trees as the leaves started to die and fall to the ground. Winter time has bought frequent snow and the festive season and the new year. Spring time will bring happiness and smiles as people get more vitamin D after a lack of it.

Going by the number of tourists in the city all year round including winter, it obviously proves that Prague is an all year city. 

I must say that getting out of Prague and seeing and exploring the rest of the Czech Republic is very nice too.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Former Google Contributor

Thank you very much to both @TheEagleEye and @InaS

Now I am really tempted to go back and to visit the city again. I have only been there during a school trip many years ago, but I didn't have the chance to explore it properly. Now I got enough materials and ideas for a new trip.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Hi @InaS. Trdelník isn't true Czech but originated in Hungary. Yes there are many trdelník shops/stalls around and most tourists are mistaken that they are a local thing. Yes I have tried them and they are nice but not too often.

No I haven't tried the waffles you mention but I will check it out.

Google Vendor

You are right you can find them almost in every corner but not always the best choice @TheEagleEye. I highly recommend you this place for waffles.

When the times come for you to visit Prague, I will suggest you more places to visit @Sorbe.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

@TheEagleEye I had looked up traditional Czech dishes to try before going to Prague last October and these came up, unfortunately I didn't see them on the menu of the  restaurants I went to, but I did get to try fried cheese and other dishes. Thank you for sharing them here, recommending a place to try them and telling us when are they usually eaten 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dot.: Chlebíček

Hej @TheEagleEye ja myślałam, że kanapki są z Polski 😁 . Lubisz jeść knedliczki z żeberkiem? Byłeś "U fleku" w Pradze? Tam można wypić beczkę piwa 😁

Level 10

Dot.: Chlebíček

Hi @Anonymous. They are Czech and Czechs are proud of them. Maybe the Polish have something similar considering they are neighbors. I enjoy dumplings but don't eat ribs as I'm a pescetarian. I haven't been to U Fleků yet.