NirajBhusal's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Chhwela (Nepali: छ्वेला), a typical Newari Dish

Chhwela (Nepali: छ्वेला) is a typical Newari dish that consists of spiced grilled buffalo meat.

Though the dish is traditionally popular with water buffalo meat, nowadays mutton, chicken & duck meat are also being used. Usually eaten with rice flakes (Chiura), this dish is typically very spicy, hot & mouth watering.

Here's photo of Chhwela I Itasted on "होनचा " located in Patan, Lalitpur.

Namaste,

Niraj

Here's the procedure to make Chhwela in Home @InaS @Petra_M, hope you will make it and share the photo with me. 

Ingredients

Chicken, Mutton, Buff,etc – 550-650 grams (cut in small pieces)

• Onion – 2 (chopped)
  • Green onion - 1 cup (chopped)
  • Tomato – 4 (sliced)
  • Green chill – on your need (cut in half or quarters)
  • Garlic and ginger crumbled (shredded)
  • Turmeric powder- half table spoon
  • Red chili powder- 1 tablespoon
  • Fenugreek seeds (Methi)
  • Cooking oil
  • Salt
  • Coriander leaves
  • Lemon juice
  • Cilantro for garnishing

Procedure

•  Cut chicken,mutton,buff, etc into small pieces in cubes and boil it for 12 minutes
  • Take boiled chicken out and let it stay for a while to cool
  • Put the boiled chicken in a big bowl and add salt, red chili powder and sliced tomatoes
  • Chop onions into small pieces
  • Add chopped onions into the mixture and add shredded garlic and ginger
  • Heat oil in a pan and add the fenugreek (methi) seeds and heat it until the seeds become black
  • Add turmeric powder and stir it nicely and wisely.
  • Pour the chicken into a bowl and add the coriander into it
  • Add some lemon juice and gently stir it

Now Chhwela is ready 

Buffalo Meat Chhoyela; Newari CuisineBuffalo Meat Chhoyela; Newari Cuisine

Honacha, Mamaru Galli, Patan, Nepal
11 comments
Google Vendor

Re: Chhwela (Nepali: छ्वेला), a typical Newari Dish

Hi @NirajBhusal,

Thank you for sharing your photo with us. The dish looks so delicious. Can you cook it yourself? If so, do you mind sharing your recipe with us? Do you have any other favorite dishes from this restaurant?

You can take a look at Why you should use natural light to photograph food article, you might find it helpful.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Welcome @InaS, yes you can cook it in home too by using Buffalo, Chicken, Goat meat and so on. Other special dishes you can get here is Potato Gravy, Bara (Nepali Pancake). If you want to know the procedures to make Chhwela then I can write one for you. 

Specially the place I have shared is famous for Chhwela, Bara and Newari Drinks. 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @NirajBhusal,

It looks yummy, thanks for sharing.

I love spicy food and I would definitely try the one from buffalo meat. Instead of rice, I would order some butter naan, I prefer that.

Just as @InaS, I'm also asking for the recipe, because I'm planning to prepare it. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 9

It looks delicious @NirajBhusal

It looks similar to beef or mutton bhuna in Bangladesh.

Google Vendor

Thank you for your prompt reply @NirajBhusal. I would like to know step by step how to make it. If you don't mind sharing them with us, it will be great. Do you have any photos of Potato Gravy? If yes, you can add them here at your post.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Thank you @Petra_M I will write recipe very soon. @InaS I have photo of Bara, I will go again to taste Potato Gravy and take a Photo for you. 

Google Vendor

Thanks again @NirajBhusal. Waiting to read more posts from you. Keep up sharing and contributing!

Former Google Contributor

Thank you for the posts @NirajBhusal, I'm sure we'll love all of them. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!