Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Changing perspective to make photos more dynamic

Caption: Two side-by-side photos of the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City. One photographed from a further back view (left) and one photographed closer and from below, showcasing the bridge’s cables (right). (Local Guide Christina-NYC)Caption: Two side-by-side photos of the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City. One photographed from a further back view (left) and one photographed closer and from below, showcasing the bridge’s cables (right). (Local Guide Christina-NYC)Sometimes I get in the habit of photographing things from the same viewpoint. When I recognize this, I know it’s time to change my perspective.

Perspective in photography is the sense of depth or relationship between objects in a photo. When you capture a place from a different camera angle, you change your perspective. By altering your perspective, you can create powerful photos that draw your eyes into the scene.

Changing your perspective can sometimes make you feel out of your comfort zone when photographing. However, when you start to look at the world from different angles, your photo skills will improve!

See the difference changing perspective can make in the photos below.

A straight-on perspective

Caption: A photo of the top portion of the Brooklyn Bridge and its cables, with the clear blue sky filling most of the image. Photographed in Brooklyn, New York, New York, USA. (Local Guides Christina-NYC)Caption: A photo of the top portion of the Brooklyn Bridge and its cables, with the clear blue sky filling most of the image. Photographed in Brooklyn, New York, New York, USA. (Local Guides Christina-NYC)

I took this image as soon as I got to the Brooklyn Bridge, capturing the landmark from a straight-on perspective using my camera. Even though this photo showcases the symmetry of the bridge’s design, it doesn’t fully explore the bridge’s interesting structure and weblike cables. From this viewpoint, there is also too much empty blue sky in the frame which doesn’t show off the bridge’s dynamic size. In addition, the scene lacks depth.

An angled perspective

Caption: A photo of the top portion of the Brooklyn Bridge and its cables extending to the sides of the image. Photographed in Brooklyn, New York, New York, USA. (Local Guides Christina-NYC)Caption: A photo of the top portion of the Brooklyn Bridge and its cables extending to the sides of the image. Photographed in Brooklyn, New York, New York, USA. (Local Guides Christina-NYC)

I decided to change my perspective and explore a different view in order to get a photo that truly showcases the beauty of the Brooklyn Bridge.  I got into a lower position than in the first photo and captured the bridge while aiming up. As a result, the bridge takes up more of the frame and feels more impressive. The weblike pattern of the cables leading your eye into the scene adds depth to the photo. This photo is a better, more intriguing representation of the beautiful Brooklyn Bridge.

Changing your perspective is an easy way to make a big difference in your photos. So, next time you’re out photographing a location, try experimenting with perspective to create a more dynamic photo.

How has exploring perspective improved your photography? Show us the great photos you’ve shared on Google Maps below.

65 comments
Level 10

Re: Changing perspective to make photos more dynamic

Hi @Christina-NYC 

As you say, we just change the point of view, all things change dramatically.
When I was invited to Connect Live 2018, the long-awaited Golden Gate Bridge was my playground equipment to photography📷😆!

Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi)Play with the Golden Gate Bridge (Local Guide @yasumikikuchi) 

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 9

Level 10

Hi @Christina-NYC !

Thanks again for your always appreciated advice on how to improve our photographs with different techniques and points of view! Your example reminded me of the Desert View WatchTower at the Grand Canyon :

Desert View Watchtower Grand Canyon (photo by @davidhyno)Desert View Watchtower Grand Canyon (photo by @davidhyno)Close up -Desert View Watchtower Grand Canyon (photo by @davidhyno)Close up -Desert View Watchtower Grand Canyon (photo by @davidhyno)

And this for try a different angle :

Wine cellar (photo @davidhyno)Wine cellar (photo @davidhyno)Wine cellar - different point of view (photo @davidhyno)Wine cellar - different point of view (photo @davidhyno)

I have to remember more often to take pictures with different angles and points of view!

Bye,

David

Level 6

Wow 😲 So beautiful. Thank you for your share 🙏

Level 10

Hi @Christina-NYC thanks for sharing useful tips & wonderful photos. 

Google Moderator

Great photos @davidhyno and they really look dynamic! Thank you for sharing with us. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Thanks @Ivi_Ge  for appreciating my photos!

Over time and with the experience at the end you can make more and more beautiful photos. And this applies to everyone!

Bye,

David

Level 8

I've been there once on a personal bike tour and really appreciate the angled perspectives! That reminds me of what that bridge looks like from my view.

Google Verified 360 Street View Photography | LGC Travel and Advice |
Level 8

Interesting post!

I also try to change perspective to capture the place essence that i'm visiting, in order to show the maximum of the locality and region for the community.