aaryesdee's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Cellular Jail

#letsguide

Cellular Jail was constructed by the British to establish a permanent penal settlement of the freedom fighters against British colonisation. The Indians revolted against British  and several freedom fighters were taken as prisoner's. In 1958, first batch of 200  convict's arrived on the island and soon the number of priosners increased to 775. They were kept in open enclosures.

The cobstrconstr of Cellular Jail completed in the year 1906 with prisoner's being used as labour's. The construction materials were sourced out from Burma.

Today, the Cellular Jail, the Indian Bastille stands as a mute witness to the untold sufferings, valiant defiance and undaunted spirit of the fire brand revolutionaries against the brutalities of the British barbarism.

Cellular Jail was why Andaman came to be called as 'Kalapani' or the Black waters.

Cellular Jail is open to public from 

08.45 hrs to 12.30 hrs

13.30 hrs to 16.00 hrs.

Entry ticket fee for the mainlanders Rs 30/- and Rs 100/- for foreign nationals.

There will be light and sound show every evening from 18.00 hrs to 19.15 hrs and fee is Rs 50/-.DSC_0687.JPG

DSC_0676~2.JPG

DSC_0670.JPG

DSC_0656.JPG

DSC_0657.JPG

DSC_0661.JPG

DSC_0663.JPG

DSC_0664.JPG

DSC_0649.JPG

DSC_0648~2.JPG

R S Dev
Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India
7 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Cellular Jail

Hi @aaryesdee,

Such an interesting place, thanks for sharing.

Your photos can explain everything of that. Do you know when they closed the place as a jail?

PS: Feel free to check out the How to take photos of architecture.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

@Petra_M 

Government of India has stopped sending convict's to Cellular Jail since mid 1937 and repatriation of then convicts to their own States in State prison.

Thanks for the advice on how to take architectural photos.

R S Dev
Level 10

Kolhu Oil Mill & Cellular Jail

The Colonial prison by the British Raj in India "Cellular Jail 'was completed in 1906 with prisoner's being used as labours. As Indians revolted against British colonisation in great mutiny, several freedom fighters we're taken as prisoner's and idea of establishing a permanent penal settlement on the Islands by British rulers.

Cellular JailCellular Jail

Kolhu Oil grinding millKolhu Oil grinding mill

DSC_0641.JPG

Indian freedom fighters who been buried at Cellular.Indian freedom fighters who been buried at Cellular.

When you see the cell, the Indian Bastile stands as a mute witness to the untold sufferings, meted by the revolutionaries against the brutalities of the British barbarism.
The size of cell is very small hardly 7 ft length and 5 ft width , no lights but with a small ventellation near to celling. Several freedom fighters were tortured and the Britishers used them as yolk for the Manual Oil grinding mill called " Kolhu' .Several prisoner's died due to this torture and they been buried there it'self.

R S Dev
Level 10

Thanks for sharing @aaryesdee, very interesting.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.

Re: Kolhu Oil Mill & Cellular Jail

Hi @aaryesdee,

Thanks for sharing.

You have already posted it before, so I'm going to merge it to the Cellular Jail

PS: To make the most of your experience on Connect, you can take a look at this 14 helpful tips for using Connect topic.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

Re: Kolhu Oil Mill & Cellular Jail

@Petra_M

Hi Petra'

Thanks for reminding me. 

Exactly I have written about Cellular Jail before, but today what I posted is about something related to Cellular Jail punishment - Usage of Kolhu Oil Mill.

Nevermind. I have nothing to loose where it serve the purpose of being information to others.

Regards

aaryesdee

R S Dev

Hi @aaryesdee,

Thanks for the reply.

I think it's better to keep them together, and also it will be easier for other Local Guides to read all the interesting information in one post.