YuvarajS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Category "Subway Station" is missing in google map maker and google maps app

I am from Chennai, India. Recently few more metro lines are opened.
But I see the stations are not showing M icon, I found the category was different one. Old station which shows M icon and its category is "Subway Station".
I tried to edit and I couldn't find that category anymore. I tried finding alternate category but nothing works as expected.

Please help me on this. 

5 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Level 9
Solution

Re: Category "Subway Station" is missing in google map maker and google maps app

@YuvarajS wrote:

I tried finding alternate category but nothing works as expected.

When you can't find a category there is often a good reason and you should be very careful trying to find 'an alternative', that usually leads to bad mapping. 

The reason there is no Subway/Metro category is that Local Guides cannot map these features. They are part of the transit layer and anything of that sort, such as bus stops you should not try to add.

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9
Solution

Re: Category "Subway Station" is missing in google map maker and google maps app

@YuvarajS wrote:

I tried finding alternate category but nothing works as expected.

When you can't find a category there is often a good reason and you should be very careful trying to find 'an alternative', that usually leads to bad mapping. 

The reason there is no Subway/Metro category is that Local Guides cannot map these features. They are part of the transit layer and anything of that sort, such as bus stops you should not try to add.

Level 4

I like to know, who will do the mapping of transit layer? government or transport provider(in my case city metro provider - CMRL Chennai)?

This will help me to ask them to update the maps from their side.

Level 9
Level 9

Whomever is the responsible transit authority in the area, depends how your local system of government and regulation is arranged. I would guess in your case you are correct it is CMRL Chennai

Level 4

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't agree with this. In NYC, the Chambers St and Park Place Stations have about 15 - 16 separate entrances and some are hidden from view. NYC Transit is NOT going to provide this information, so tourists, mentally challenged, visually challenged, audio challenged, adolescents, elderly and wheelchair bound passengers will suffer because of a lack of a descriptive and helpful category. NYC Transit is a maze and it does not impugn on NYC Transit to identify clearly marked, brick and mortar, bus and train entrances, which are accessible to the public, where said street entrances access above and below ground train service.