Richmond's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Carnival Calabar, Nigeria

Carnival Calabar is the largest street carnival in Africa. It starts around 26th of December every year and runs through 30th December. Each day is dedicated to specific performances.

There is the cultural carnival which usually holds on 26th December, bike carnival on 27th December, the street carnival on 28th December, and the international carnival on 29th December. There are other activities preceding these events. 

The cultural carnival has representatives from the various  states in Nigeria and the various local governments in Cross River State - the host state of Carnival Calabar. 

The bike carnival has some international participants from various parts of the world. The Street Carnival has the largest number of contingents. 

There are participants from many African countries and many other countries in Europe and the Americas. There are 4 competing bands and other non competing groups performing at about 4 adjudication points.

The international carnival is where all the foreign countries participating in the carnival showcase their dances, cultures and skills. This is largely or strictly for the foreigners.

The event is a tourist attraction and Calabar is a safe tourist destination for everyone. Try visit Calabar and enjoy the hospitality of the people.... 

Calabar, Nigeria
17 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Carnival Calabar, Nigeria

Hi @Richmond,

Thanks for sharing!

This carnival sounds amazing! This is something I would travel to Nigeria to see, and I hope I will one day.

I would love to get a taste of what this event looks like.

Would you happen to have any photos from the carnival in 2018? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

Yes I have photos. I will upload them. I was there live for the 2018 edition. That was my third time. It will be nice to connect with you whenever you decide to visit Nigeria for the carnival

Connect Moderator

Hola @Richmond, por tus comentarios parece que es una gran ovación de fiesta y diversión. 

Una consulta, el carnaval también incluye el desfile de carrozas con motivos alegóricos  algún tema tipo lo que se realiza en Río de Janeiro para el carnaval?. 

La gente de que manera participa solo viendo el desfile, aquí en Argentina para l fecha de carnavales, salen las muchas de los barrios porteños cantando sobre algún tema de actualidad del país y la gente participa viendo el desfile o tirándose espuma blanca y agua, en algunos sitios se desfila con carrozas alegóricas también .

te comparto algunos tips con Sugerencias para usar en Connect.

Tambien te comparto como es el carnaval aquí en Buenos Aires - Argentinia.

9B63DAB2-E539-443E-A262-DC716F30AEDE.jpeg

20A78444-4A66-4DBA-BA7B-457C2648A47A.jpeg

56466120-A13B-406D-9327-305D5B139D81.jpeg

Farid

That's great to hear @Richmond, I hope to see your photos soon!

Feel free to upload them to this post, I think they would fit very well with your text. 

I would love to witness the carnival myself one day, thank you very much.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

@FaridTDF thanks.

This Carnival is similar to the one you have just described. Here there are performers and there are also spectators. However, the spectators do not throw water or white foams, but only sit or could stand to watch the performers. The spectators may blow flutes, whistles or the likes. 

This carnival looks amazing @FaridTDF, I've always wanted to see one of these up close or maybe even participate, but where I come from we unfortunately don't have them.

Is this carnival in Argentina celebrating anything specific? 

Connect Moderator

Hola @MortenSI, este carnaval se festeja en el mes de marzo el 4 y el 5, y el carnaval de Buenis Aires es el que se denomina de murgas o barrial como también lo es en Uruguay, en este link, puedes leer un poco más sobre el Murgas en Buenos Aires

A diferencia del del carnaval que se festeja en la provincia de Entre Ríos que es más parecido al de Brasil

Farid

Thank you @FaridTDF, I will take a look at it. 

The carnival is less than two months away, are you thinking about attending it this year? 

If you do, I would love to see some more photos from it. 

Connect Moderator

Hola @MortenSI, no creo que pueda asistir ya que tengo también un viaje muy planeado en Marzo a Buenos Aires, veré si puedo ir.

Farid