winetravelandsong's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Car Rental options for a Road Trip San Francisco to LA?

I am thinking of a road trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles. As a UK traveller I plan to fly into SF and out again from LAX. Can I rent a car for 10 days and leave it at LAX - without paying a massive premium?  

Many Thanks! 

San Francisco, CA, United States
3 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Solution

Re: Car Rental options for a Road Trip San Francisco to LA?

@winetravelandsong, look up a travel company like expedia, travelocity, they have better rates for rental cars than directly with the rental car company, you can pick by size and price.  From there, you put your start location as SFO and end location for LAX, that will give you the full price with the drop off.  I just got a full size car for $15 a day for a trip, when I went to Hertz directly it was $25 for a smaller car.

View solution in original post

Level 10

@winetravelandsong wrote:

I am thinking of a road trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles. As a UK traveller I plan to fly into SF and out again from LAX. Can I rent a car for 10 days and leave it at LAX - without paying a massive premium?  

Many Thanks! 

Hi @winetravelandsong I've rented a SUV class car at LAX Hertz for less than 40 $ a day, it's very cheap. I'm pretty sure the surcharge for different rental ending is not huge.

I hope the Interstate 1 will be re-opened for your trip!

Level 9
Solution

@winetravelandsong, look up a travel company like expedia, travelocity, they have better rates for rental cars than directly with the rental car company, you can pick by size and price.  From there, you put your start location as SFO and end location for LAX, that will give you the full price with the drop off.  I just got a full size car for $15 a day for a trip, when I went to Hertz directly it was $25 for a smaller car.

Level 8

I think that the price of drop off by the rental car company is different.
The most different thing is the total cost.

In North America, I calculate it at maximum US$100 a day. It's all inclusive. Like gas, insurance, roadside service, tax and more.

The minimum is about US$50 a day. Like vehicle, minimum insurance, gas, taxes.