Sophia_Cambodia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Cambodian Wedding at countryside

I just returned from the wedding of my sister. It was for 2 meaningful days. It is time of family reunion and joy, blessing, celebration, tradition and love. I would love to show you some beautiful photos from the wedding. There are three phases of wedding celebration: preparation day or Jol Ruong Kar day, wedding ceremony day and last is the reception. It was 3days before and now, all program can be held in one day and half.

Several rituals in the weddingSeveral rituals in the wedding

It is time of family reunion and joy, blessing, celebration, tradition and love. I would love to show you some beautiful photos from the wedding.

1. Preparation day: cakes and fruits are prepared for guests and also for gift offering ceremony.Cakes made from sticky rice, bean, bacon, banana wrapped in the banana leavesCakes made from sticky rice, bean, bacon, banana wrapped in the banana leavesCakes made from sticky rice, bean, bacon, banana wrapped in the banana leavesCakes made from sticky rice, bean, bacon, banana wrapped in the banana leaves

2. Wedding day: all traditional ceremonies and rituals, one after one. 

The rituals were for 3 days before but now, it is shortened to half day ceremony including gift offering ceremony - fruit counting rituals, ring exchange, hair cutting, blessing and gift giving to couples, and 7 rounds of candle blessings.. It is accompanied by live traditional music band, lead by a couple of clergy men, food offering to ancestors to announce that the couple is now married.. 

Each ritual has its own meaning, some people don't even know what they are for: 

1. Ring exchange ritual: wear the ring at the left finger as it connects to the heart
  2. Head on the floor ritual: Lowing your head to the floor together in front of your parents means that you both are tight to the couple life, you collapse, go forward slow, or quick, depends on both of them take care of each other, take responsibility. 
  3. Areca flower blessing ritual: relatives spread areca flower on you means your prosperity depends mainly on the couple to take care, not bring in the fire or burn it out.
  4. Hair cutting ritual: it means that you must cut your longer hair or make them one standard for two, cut what's bad out, bring what's good in, outside of the family uses discipline and inside use sympathy.
  5. Sitting in the seven circle of happiness fire ritual or 7 rounds of candle blessings: it shows that your life's happiness depends mainly on patience and hard work. 

All ritual revolves around one special flower - betel nut flower or areca nut flower - represents value, purity, and normally it is very difficult to find it. In order to cut it for the wedding, they have the rituals for the person to claim up and cut it, then give it to the groom. The groom will carry this (not letting it slide or drop at all), to give the parents of the wife to-be to show gratitude towards their parents and siblings. Nowadays, they just buy it from the market. They shorten the ceremony so no time for the pickup anymore. In the last ritual, the master of ceremony (clergy man) will ask people to break the flower and then use as the blessing flowers to spread on the couple at the very end of ceremony!

Several rituals in the weddingSeveral rituals in the weddingSeveral rituals in the weddingSeveral rituals in the weddingSeveral rituals in the weddingSeveral rituals in the weddingSeveral rituals in the weddingSeveral rituals in the wedding

3. Reception: guests were invited to join in the wedding. Small wedding invites about 200 guests (relatives and friends) and big wedding of rich people or middle class family invites up to 800-1200 guests.

Color in the wedding: each ritual has different sets of outfits, colors and hairstyles. Gold or yellow color is usually used in the morning to represent bright sunshine or the bright starter of new phase of life.. Pink, green, blue, purple are more pleasant so it is used in the reception. Red is a lucky color for Chinese but used mixed in Cambodian culture too. Probably, it means lucky. 

Prey Veng, Cambodia
15 comments
Level 9

Re: Wedding at countryside

@Sophia_Cambodia 

First of God bless the newly wedded couple. I just loved the post because all cooked packed in banana leaves which good for health from old days they used leaves but now days if we use people he say it looks shabby in weddings but I love it.

Were as now days people  use all over either with plastic & Aluminum foil. At wedding time. 

Connect Moderator

Level 10

Interesting tradition, Thanks for sharing the post. 

KFUPM, Technology Transfer Executive
Connect Moderator
Former Google Contributor

Congratulations on your sister's wedding, all the best! Can you tell us a bit more about those rituals @Sophia_Cambodia? I think it is quite interesting to learn about the wedding culture in different countries.

I like the bright red and gold colors do they mean something?

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@VasTthank you for the blessing. Gold color is usually used in the morning to represent bright sunshine or the bright starter of new phase of life.. Red is a lucky color for Chinese but used mixed in Cambodian culture too. Probably, it means lucky.

The rituals were for 3 days before but now, it is shortened to half day ceremony including gift offering ceremony - fruit counting rituals, ring exchange, hair cutting, blessing and gift giving to couples, and 7 rounds of candle blessings.. It is accompanied by live traditional music band, lead by a couple of clergy men, food offering to ancestors to announce that the couple is now married..

Former Google Contributor

That sounds so amazing, like a whole experience @Sophia_Cambodia. Thank you for your reply, but please make sure to remove any pictures that are not yours. Please see, How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect?.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

@Sophia_Cambodia Thank you for letting us to visit this unusual ceremony with you. It looks really solemnly and beautiful.

I'll write you about an interesting Ukrainian traditional wedding custom (I had written it once here in Connect, someone could read it already).

It's the spruce decorated with flowers and bows so that it resembles a thick flowering tree - the symbol of youth and beauty, as well as the well-being of the young. It's called "giltse" there. And namely giltse should be in the most prominent and honorable place during the whole wedding celebration. 

The honorable role to bear it from one place for another during all the wedding belongs to the male-witness ("druzhka"), and it's not the easy role, as he should bring the tree from the house of the groom for the house of the bride (traditionally on foot, but nowadays it's according the situation), then in the registry office, throughout the walk, and only in restaurant he can put it in a prominent place near the couple and relax.

At the end of the day when guests are treated with a wedding loaf everybody gets a branch with a flower from this tree as a gift from newlyweds; the top is for the bride and groom.

Ukrainian weddingUkrainian wedding

Connect Moderator

@OlgaKlimchik my god, what a beautiful tradition! Thank you for writing up. It sounds marvelous!

Traditionally, it is very similar. You know, no matter what flower you use for the wedding, there is one significant flower that we use till today is the betel nut flower or Areca nut flower - represents value, purity, and normally it is very difficult to find it. In order to cut it for the wedding, they have the rituals for the person to claim up and cut it, then give it to the groom. The groom will carry this (not letting it slide or drop at all), to give the parents of the wife to-be to show gratitude towards their parents and siblings. Nowadays, they just buy it from the market. They shorten the ceremony so no time for the pickup anymore.

Then, the master of ceremony will ask people to break the flower and then use as the blessing flowers to spread on the couple at the very end of ceremony!Areca flower marching, giving to the parents and elder siblingsAreca flower marching, giving to the parents and elder siblingsBlessing ceremony at the end, they use the areca flower to spread over the couple (sometime mix with jasmine for the aroma)