KimLong's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Cambodia's famous bamboo train aka Lory

Bamboo Train as it is called by tourist is a low-cost transportation solution for the local people in Battambang province of Cambodia. It is a simple removable platform running on old and abandoned train track. It is very simple transportation solution running with only a small engine, yet it is very innovative solution for the local people. The platform can carry both goods and passengers. Nowadays, it is very popular for tourists want to experience something different and also enjoying the amazing scenery along the way. Curious about it? Feel free to ask me more in the comment. 

My & my friend on Bamboo TrainMy & my friend on Bamboo Train20140615_092013.jpgBamboo Train4204.JPGBamboo Train4206.JPG

Bamboo Train Battambang, Krong Battambang, Cambodia
5 comments
Level 10

Re: Cambodia's famous bamboo train aka Lory

Hi @KimLong

Thanks for sharing unique transportation information and photos. How much long area it covers ? At what speed it is running ? As  it is abandoned track, it must be used by private operators, how it is organised when two train come from opposite directions ? Unloading all goods and loading again ?

Anyway it is unique.

Happy Mapping !!

Vijay Desai.

Level 10

Hi @VijayDesai It run between three villages and the longest distance it cover is around 20km. I believe its speed less than 20km per hour, if it is faster, it will be unsafe (no seat belt). It is used by the local villagers and anyone can operate on it. When there is another train coming in opposite direction, one of them must remove their train from the track (one of my picture show this in the background), it is very removable and does not take much effort and time. They have rule for which one should get off the track. Loading and unloading is very simple like the pictures show. Happy ride!

Level 10

Thanks.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @KimLong,

Thank you for sharing. 

I find this way of transportation indeed very practical, utilizing both train tracks as well as mostly available engines.

From the last photo, from my deduction, the wheel and the axle can be changed, correct?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Level 10

Hi @sonnyNg yes the platform can be moved quickly since the single track is used in both directions and the local set clear rule of which one should be move when there is encounter.