KhamphoutS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

{CL2018 RECAP} Small Steps in the Big City

After announcement this year big event Google Local Guides Connect Live 2018, I was so excited when notification email to me to applying for the summit. I don’t have much time to make 1 minute nice video introduction myself until the last day of submission at night and then I just made a video with whatever information like photos and video clip that I has in my mobile phone and submitted.Invitation to join CL2018Invitation to join CL2018

After couple weeks I got an email with article “Thousands applied-and you made the cut” I could barely believe it when I learnt that I had been selected to one of the 151 to attend Connect Live 2018! 

From there, I was prepare myself for necessary traveling document to USA, first have to granted US Visa & I was exciting to fill up DS-160 applying for B1 Visa, thank to @Jimmy and https://is.gd/zfsS8T for guideline, after I granted the US B1 Visa I’ve made a stories for Visa process on my personal facebook https://is.gd/xkhhS1.

One of most exciting is being an overseas solo traveler to a big city like San Francisco (SF) as I’m considering myself offenses travelling abroad but this time is USA (fingers cross) but that’s not an issue I was prepared my itinerary, listing out what to bring, do and don’t (yeah Google search and Maps) and advance tips for all Connect Live 2018 Attendees (CL18) because the moderators of connect has created private Hangouts (HO) group chat for CL18’s attendees, thank to @KarenVChin@AdrianLunsong, connect live team and other LGs friends for advises and actively on HO and at the connect. From there then I was so confident and ready to exploring whole new experience getting in a big city like San Francisco. 

When all travelling itinerary is final, I’m just waiting for the big day! Since I was there and CL18 was done that now, I thought I'd share and recap my experience as LG first attendee from Lao PDR. 

What to bring?

• Gift: that could represented your country, I was carries Khene keychain (https://is.gd/UlHZ16) 60 of them handling out and exchange during the CL18.
  • Power pack at least 10,000mAh for your long journey. US electric socket is same with Laos no need to bring adaptor.
  • International roaming data package. I would recommended for Sim2Fly travel SIM from Thailand (if you’re neighboring https://is.gd/VTfF3s) is cost around 25$ with 4GB of data on 4G network for 15 days.
  • Clothing as mentioned in the event information that it's very casual. So I just bring whatever cloths that feel comfortable including jackets because it’s cold in SF.
  • Luggage should be middle size not too heavy if you don’t plan for shopping! My air tickets including 2 luggage each should not exceeding 23kg.
  • Lao national flag is a must! I pick size not too big so it’s won’t cover other friends when we’re taking photos.
  • Paracetamol and some relieves colds with nasal congestion tablets just in case also an inhaler to treat long flights dizzy.
  • Inform respective bank that I’ll use their card outside country in US. This must because if you didn’t inform the bank maybe your credit card might not work and that’s big problem. Have some cash at least 500USD with your pocket in case of any issue.
  • Download offline on Maps for area that will be in case of running out of data or internet.
  • Print out traveling documents, air tickets, hotel address, emergency contract and keep in the bag pack for any case.

My flights was on Monday morning 15th Oct 2018 from Vientiane – Bangkok – Guangzhou – San Francisco it’s took me total 26 hours to reaching SFO. It’s long journey and I’m luckily that I met @ChamnanMuon a top local guides from Cambodia who is 3rd repeater attendee of the program waiting for connect flight at Guangzhou airport so we’ve chit chat about the CL18 and I’ve leant a lot from him. It’s quite a shame on a flight Guangzhou – FSO the lady who seating next to me… let the photo speak for that Chamnan & me at Guangzhou airport waiting for flight to FSOChamnan & me at Guangzhou airport waiting for flight to FSO

This is how a lady next to me :-(This is how a lady next to me ?

After landed with long queues at the immigration it’s about 2 hours in the line, the officer didn’t ask much its simple questions like how long will be in US? Purposes of visit? That’s all I’ve 6 months period staying in US wow I wish I could staying in America for 6 months hahaha… At the main exit we were greet & welcoming by CL team also I met @VincentA.Tabor from Philippine so 3 of us get in Cadillac off to downtown (feeling like VIP) reached Hyatt Centric Fisherman’s Wharf around 11:00pm.CL2018 team welcoming us at FSOCL2018 team welcoming us at FSO

Arrived Hyatt CentricArrived Hyatt Centric

Jet lag is real!!!!

For the first night I can’t slept event very tried from the long journey so just closed my eyes and pretend sleeping first night I’ve invited @ChamnanMuon to share the room because I’ve a twin bed room before event date 1 night but he didn’t.               

There’s a lot of activities pre/post event. I’ve just joined 2 meet-up because of my traveling plan. First meeting among CL18 attendees in the morning Oct 16th in front of Hyatt Centric I felt comfortable with all of attendees’ event this is the first time met in person! I guess because we’ve met and discussed in HO couple months before event everyone was very friendly and lot of repeater from previous summit. I’ve joined Clean the World – CL18 Edition meet-up that hosted by @KarenVChin and @ermest I’ve leant more about micro plastic that impacting to the ocean’s wildlife and the world from the officers of Presidio park who guide us before our cleaning up starting. We’re trying to catch as much as we can trash along the park which is one of the San Francisco’s scenic landmarks and America’s National Park.  Afternoon we back hotel and walk to the bay area for lunch at In-N-Out Burger. Officer explianing about trash and microplastic impacting to ocean and environmentOfficer explianing about trash and microplastic impacting to ocean and environment

Me eating In N Out burgerMe eating In N Out burger

Pre CL18 start at 3pm with Welcome Reception very exciting the 151 top local guides from 58 countries plus 100 of Googlers were here together we’ve lot of fun taking photo (yeah lot of photos) introduce ourselves showing their national flag and national dress (I should prepare Lao costume if next CL19 got selected) to each other and enjoy food and beverage and continue with the CL18 lounge with pizza, games and making new friends. I’ve leant that the attendees represented of each country is not means have to be person that citizen e.g representatives from Thailand 4 person was not Thai at all! They’re the person who base in that area and contribute to Thailand on Maps. For attendees who would like to reimburse cash for their visa fee will get it with connect live team after welcome reception. Well second night I was slept maybe 4 hours woke-up at 4am and can’t continue sleep.We're hereWe're here

Me holding Lao National flag at the CL2018Me holding Lao National flag at the CL2018

Oct 17th early morning I’ve joined free workout called November Project SF (https://is.gd/zFmCwO) meet-up organize by @EmilyAdams together with @YK1001 & @XanderO it’s was great workout at Alta Plaza Park From left: Emily, Sampson, me and Xander after done workoutFrom left: Emily, Sampson, me and Xander after done workout

Officially LC18 starts at 8:30am Googlers told us what we’ve achievement from top local guides around the world, I’m so proud of their hard work and hearing many topics interesting for future on Maps and Q&A session of each topic as awesome among our attendees.CL2018 ConferenceCL2018 Conference

Afternoon we’ve breakout sessions every session very interesting but each of attendee can joining only 2 session my sessions was full of idea sharing directly to Googlers. Later I’ve joined walking photo session guides by expert Googlers photographers the bay and pier 39 it’s was fun got tips for walking and taking photo.My footprint at Pier 39, SFMy footprint at Pier 39, SF

Evening party at Rincon Hill was great a photo booth was among busiest (we’re all love taking photo), fun activities, postcard, music, drink, food and ice-cream (yeah) lot of fun connecting each other and idea exchange.I'm a big deal on Google MapsI'm a big deal on Google Maps

After party we back hotel some go out for midnight photo walk meet-up (I should joining but too sleepy so I skipped) and some joining connect lounge as usual pizza, chitchat and lucky draw by @KimberlyAnnG, I was not lucky enough to wining any but some attendee more than lucky to won 2 prizes for that night. We’ve try Mezcal & dried crickets brought over from Italy by @Aura it’s was nice to taste hot like fired hahaha… 3rd nights same I’ve a good slept until 4:45am.Kim with her tech swags for raffle drawKim with her tech swags for raffle draw

Aura with dried crickets and Mezcal direct from MexicoAura with dried crickets and Mezcal direct from Mexico

Oct 18th, I’ve joined @AdrianLunsong and @MirekMielnicki early morning photo walk around the bay and pier 39 we hope to have lighting but unfortunately the sun still sleeping so we didn’t have morning sun light at the bay!!!!Photo by AdrianPhoto by Adrian

Back to hotel after breakfast everyone exciting to visit Google Quad Campus at Mountain View there’s issue on the bus arrangement so Googlers separated us to go by UBER I was riding with a Googler, @AdrianLunsong @AnthonyLeaton (best creative CL18 awarded applicant video https://youtu.be/wCfwMRbVpv4 ) @KoffiKelvin and a friend (sorry I can’t remember) Oh well! You should not fall asleep while in the car with friends if you don’t want to have this photo hahaha…

Me sleeping in the car :-)Me sleeping in the car ?

At the Google Quad Campus session were welcome by Jen Fitzpatrick, Vice President of Google Maps it’s was amazing to meet and hearing from top management of Maps and engineers who created more features for Maps and experiencing working culture of leading IT technology.Welcome speech by Jen Fitzpatrick, Vice President of Google Maps (photo by Googler)Welcome speech by Jen Fitzpatrick, Vice President of Google Maps (photo by Googler)We’ve lunch outside the venue and afternoon we’ve breakout sessions with Googlers after done we’ve recap event with our local guides super “G” I’m in the red hat it’s was fun with zombie walking among LGs fellow.Lunch at Google Quad Campus (photp by Googler)Lunch at Google Quad Campus (photp by Googler)

Super G by all LGs  (photo by Googler)Super G by all LGs (photo by Googler)

Very limited short visit Android status and Google Merchandise Store I bought some Google’s swags for giveaway in my next coming meet-up.Me at the Android parkMe at the Android park

Me at the Google StoreMe at the Google Store

After back campus Googlers giving us Big Surprised by handling out RICHO THETA V (https://is.gd/WY4YvV) latest 360 camera to all of us! Screaming and Cheering of joint  for the moment and we were continue with cocktail reception and Google street view team parking a CAREMAs CAR for making street view for us to touch and feeling it’s was great to seated in. I’m trying to have drinks, food, snack which not available in my country to make sure that I didn’t missing out any impression other while ? Me with big surprising gife THETA V a 360 cameraMe with big surprising gife THETA V a 360 camera

All LGs end up with closing party in the glow party theme it’s was fun with food, drink, face painting, balloon, photo booth and recap for top achievement awarded, I’m so proud all of them they’re deserved of their hard work. The party ending around 8:30pm and then we back to hotel. On the way to hotel I’ve great discussion with Kim (@Kinzang Wangchuk) from Bhutan on the LG representative from Thailand for the feature of how could we contribute in Maps and so on. Me with Local Guides flag and ready to guides the worldMe with Local Guides flag and ready to guides the world

My first trip also first Lao representative of local guides was full of fun, joyed and great memories time with LGs and Googlers fellows event through that just few days but it’s now last forever... 

Me with background of Golden Gate Bridge iconic of San FranciscoMe with background of Golden Gate Bridge iconic of San Francisco

Keep contributing to making the world more accessible to other people everywhere as they navigate, explore and get things done in the world.

With love #letsguide #localguides #localguidesconnect

Khamphout S. 

16 comments
Level 10

Re: {CL2018 RECAP} Small Steps in the Big City

excellent / till now planing what i write ahhah @KhamphoutS

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10

@MahabubMunna yes hahaha...

I know you're busying with your 100th meet-up it's the big day for you to working on

I'm following your post!!!!

Level 10

Hi @KhamphoutS

Great story and beautiful photos.

thanks for sharing.

I hope to see you again.

Jul

Level 8

I am very glad joining the workout in that morning.

The view is specticular, and the people is so nice.

Thank you very much, @KhamphoutS, for this great recap!

Level 9

@KhamphoutS amazing recap. Honestly can't stop thinking about your next seat passenger LOL!! 

It was nice to meet you. Hope to see you again. 

Level 10

@Julien44 

So bad that I just have a little time interacting with you during event. You’re super star of all LGs 👍

Level 10

@YK1001 

I’m so happy to spending time with you during CL2018 I’m learning a lot from you 

Level 10

@HeyJoe 

Don’t event think that situation again it’s was 12 hours I’ve to enjoy that moment hahaha... 

Still remembers how Mezcal was right ? 🤣🥵

Level 9

@KhamphoutS You should ask @AdrianLunsong for the Despacito video we did in the car 😜