Firelemon's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Business name on receipt

Hi guys, 

Lately I have been updating a lot of business address. I found that the purchase receipt (or tax invoice) really useful particularly in shopping centre situation. It gives you the exact shop numbers & contact details.

Then I start looking at business name. And I am confused. Let's say the "Laurent" the cafe. Everyone calls it Laurent or Laurent cafe or Laurent Bakery. But on the receipt it actually says "Laurent Boulangerie Patisserie". So I'm assuming that this is the legal name for tax purpose. But I'm sure no one would call it by that name and they won't advertise themselves that way, so "Laurent" actually align with the business guideline, not with "cafe", or "bakery"?

And should I ignore the legal name on receipt? 

Cheers,

Kelvin

Melbourne VIC, Australia
8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Business name on receipt

Hi @Firelemon,

Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

Yes, you can ignore the legal name on the receipt and use the name that is familiar to everyone.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator . Thank you!

View solution in original post

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Hi @Firelemon,

Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

Yes, you can ignore the legal name on the receipt and use the name that is familiar to everyone.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator . Thank you!
Level 10

Dear @Firelemon, hope all's well.

Yes we use receipts as a source of local knowledge.

You can use local knowledge, Street View and a place's official website as resources for suggesting edits to Maps. 

From Maps Help for you: "Use the official name of a place, the one used on the storefront or website. Don’t add any extra comments in the name field." https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7084895

Kind regards from Osaka78 

PS Great to see more Aussie Local Guides on Connect. Glad to meet you 🇦🇺🐨😃

Level 7

Hey guys, thanks for clarifying. 

Just checking one more thing. I know there has been some discussions. Do we still put suburb name behind business name (according to MyBusiness guideline)??? Cause my edits just got "not applied"

Level 8

Hi @Firelemon,

I want to learn about what is "suburb" name of a business .

Would you please elaborate with some examples?

Level 7

Hi @YK1001,

There is often suburb name after the business name, say, Officework Kew East, ANZ Balwyn, Village Cinema Knox, etc.

I have an impression that we should say Officeworks, ANZ, etc, and the address will identify/differentiate them and so we should not be suburb name behind business name. 

Connect Moderator

@Firelemon, you are correct, the name field should not contain store codes, locations, branch names or other descriptors.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

Thanks @Flash. Just curious, so when my edit of Officeworks Ferntree Gully into Officeworks was not applied. Is that a auto computer review or actually a real person reviewed that? Should I keep trying to edit the name??

Level 8

Thanks you @Firelemon .