cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

BrewPub 360 - 2da Salida Recap, Barcelona

BrewPub 360 Recap

Event Here

Every meetup in this series looks to explore Barcelona’s growing BrewPubs. These places brew ales, beer, larger, bitters and stouts. It was my aim to show that to get great quality beer associated with expat bars, the local smaller breweries are offering great taste sensations.

Our route took us to different and historic brewery venues. It also took us over the three main BrewPub types - the Beerhall / Restaurant, BrewPub Shop and Tapas, finally BrewPub and Brewery plus tapas live music venues.

The first visited was CocoVall Barcelona’s first (and probably only) varied beer type beer hall. The city’s la Oveja Negra has a beer hall vibe, but does not have varied beer types.  Second the Growler was a brewpub / shop, the third, La Cervesa Artesana we planned to visit was Barcelona’s first BrewPub.

R0010583_20190109192449.jpg

We had a lot of sign-ups for the event. In the end we were joined by CL2017 and CL2018 attendees and new local guides. Anna @AnnaBcn , Laura @Laofdez  Elaina @Elenkies, Jordi @GeorgeBrown Daniel and myself finally attended. We spoke English, Catalan and Spanish during the event.

WHAT WENT DOWN AT COCOVALL

MVIMG_20190109_190800.jpg

A large venue with a mixed clientele. It is located in the heart of the tourist district a stones throw from city’s Gaudí building - Casa Batlo. There’s a wide selection of most beer types.

R0010582_20190109192320.jpg

R0010581_20190109192249.jpg

MVIMG_20190109_190611.jpg

The food offerings were very varied with a distinct Northern American influence. This caught the interest of the group. Various snacks and few beers went down well.

The place was very vibrant and very popular. There were a lot of board games but tables were a little cramped and very busy. We were fortunate enough not to have a larger group as there wasn't a lot of free seating space.

OLIVES AT THE GROWLER

Our next stop was a smaller brewpub and cold tapas bar. The ambience was very chilled out, with a very homey feeling. We ordered a round of drinks and their yummy spicy olives. The place was not too packed and the bar tender was nice, but he was a little unsure what we were doing with the tripods. We explained, but I could see he was a little hesitant. So we took discrete photos. When we were leaving he had come around and was really interested in what we were doing as local guides and invited us back to do photos.

R0010586_20190109202249.jpg

StoreStore

Our Table 360Our Table 360

OlivesOlives

BarBar

Paul is wantedPaul is wanted

Time flew very quickly at the bar. We saw a wanted poster for a guy who looked a lot like a certain Google Moderator Paul. Perhaps he beat us first to the location and made it dry ?

CHANGE OF PLAN

As a final plan for people wanting to hang on we thought to goto a restaurant last. We were all pretty famished and so we decided to passby the last pub, and goto a nice Indian restaurant next to it. We agreed to give it a visit at a future time. We passed it. Here's how it looks!

MVIMG_20190109_223943.jpg

The Indian restaurant was a success. There were a lot of plates our group hadn't tried.

MVIMG_20190109_215638.jpg

MVIMG_20190109_212117.jpg

MVIMG_20190109_212116.jpg

MVIMG_20190109_215623.jpg

MVIMG_20190109_215636.jpg

MVIMG_20190109_212708.jpg

MVIMG_20190109_215620.jpg

The service was really friendly. The waiter told us how to eat raw chillies and even put some in tempura. It was very good value and we all left in very high spirits.

It was a great success as a lot of the group molded and we suggested future local guide Barcelona meet up themes.

Barcelona's BrewPubs In Context

In the early 2000’s the city had a lot smaller selection of varies brew types outside pilsner, larger and beer. Those which offered stout and bitter were distinct to expat U.K. and Southern Ireland theme sports bars.

Nowadays pubs offering similar beer types are owned by national and international owners. They have a very distinct character to expat bars.

There's a new national hops fermentation has grown in quality and scope. There is a fashion for more gourmet and beer quality, not necessarily quantity.

Nowadays local brewpub produce matches bar or even betters, mass produced foreign lagers, bitters and stouts. There’s now a lot of breweries with an in situ bar where you can see the fermentation, while it ferments inside the customer ?

Barcelona, Spain
11 comments
Level 7

Re: BrewPub 360 - 2da Salida Recap, Barcelona

@Phunky I love the BrewPub 360 series. We always discover cool bars to try a wide range of beers for all tastes. The Indian restaurant to close the event was delicious, and the barman a real character to meet!

Waiting for more 🙂

Level 10

Hi, @Phunky 
It's nice to see a meet-up series like this. And surely there are many more beautiful places in Barcelona that can be visited for the next meet-up series. Thank you for sharing your experience here. Hopefully someday I can visit Barcelona. Warm greetings from Indonesia Local Guides

Connect Moderator

It looks a great meetup! The brewpub is justice:-)
Congrats and thank you for sharing this @Phunky , @AnnaBcn , and all participants!

Former Google Contributor

Hey @Phunky

Wonderful recap of your meet-up! Happy to see that you had a good time. 🙂 Which beer you enjoyed the most?

By the way, the wanted photo rocks! Hey @PaulPavlinovich take a look! 🙂 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

This is cool @Phunky and thanks for the ping @JavieraAu I think they want me!!

I love a true brewpub where they make their own beer. They often craft the unusual flavours that a main stream brewer ignores and the outcome for drinkers is so much better.

They indeed want you, @PaulPavlinovich! 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

@br14n Hey you are welcome anytime my man. Just give me a few weeks notice :D.It's a great place.

Level 9

@JavieraAu Hey having fun and a good time is my middle name. I enjoyed a citric APA at The Growler. To be honest I think they were all good. It#s hard to make a bad decision as they allow you to test the beer before you buy. 😛

Hey @Phunky,

АСAs a big fan of beer myself, I always wonder what to order in a brewpub. It's so nice that they let you try different beers before buying any at The Growler. This is a really good approach.

P.S.: I would apologize that your publication was caught by our spam filter which can be a little harsh at times. Please note that it is now live on Connect.

You can visit this article to learn more - Why was my Connect post marked as spam?.