SauravBhagat's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Best place to visit in Bangalore : A Few Mesmerizing Hours at Lalbagh Botanical Garden

20210718_162105.jpg

Hey Travellers!!

A few days back some circumstances allowed me to visit this green corridor in the heart of Bangalore - The Lalbagh Botanical Garden, Lake, and Waterfall. So, here is the full story with my travel photographs:

Last week (July 2021), I together with two of my colleagues went to Bangalore for an office work and while returning we were at the Bangalore Railway Station at 2 pm for our train to New Delhi. 

The Bangalore City  Railway StationThe Bangalore City Railway Station

We still had 5 long hours for the train. So, I took out my phone opened Google Maps, and started doing my favorite thing i.e, to look for a good nearby place to explore. I was amazed to see the photos of Lalbagh Garden by fellow Local Guides. Thus, we made up our mind, submitted our luggage to the cloakroom, and booked our cab for the destination. It was a 15 min ride and we were already standing at an iron gate entrance that read LALBAGH BOTANICAL GARDEN. 

Google Map link 

After paying the entry fees, we were already inside the lovely green stretch. 

The entrance lane to the garden. Look at the signboard at the left saying ""CACTI  HOUSE"The entrance lane to the garden. Look at the signboard at the left saying ""CACTI HOUSE"

It is around a 240-acre garden located in South Bengaluru that takes around 2 to 3 hrs to fully explore. It has one of the world's largest collections of rare plants and some breathtaking woodwork on old fallen trees.

As soon as we moved forward, we were stopped by yet another but very cute gatekeeper to whom I couldn't resist myself from bribing for trespassing through his territory! So, I crushed a few biscuits and offered them to him which he enjoyed a lot 🙂

He is the one I'm talking about :)He is the one I'm talking about 🙂

Moving forward, we were welcomed by this grand LOTUS BUDDHA sculpture carved out of a 200-year-old Nilgiri Tree!

The magnificent "Lotus Buddha"The magnificent "Lotus Buddha"

Then started a series of many century-old trees carved into some awesome woodworks with deep meanings engraved on them.

Mother Nature Womb - carved out from a 250 year old mango tree!Mother Nature Womb - carved out from a 250 year old mango tree!

The womb of Mother Nature - a woodcraft on a 200 year old tree!

All made up of dried century-old fallen trees.All made up of dried century-old fallen trees.

Peacock Tree Carving.Peacock Tree Carving.

The proud peacock resting there from 2018 (for more than 200 years as a tree)

Ashoka Pillar - of course carved out of a tree!Ashoka Pillar - of course carved out of a tree!

These crocs are certainly harmless!These crocs are certainly harmless!

And this quiet bird sitting alone welcoming the tourists...And this quiet bird sitting alone welcoming the tourists...

Can you name this one?Can you name this one?

After strolling for a while, we found a large glasshouse encompassing a variety of flora and standing tall in the middle of the garden.

Failing at candid poses since 1997!Failing at candid poses since 1997!

We stopped to take a few more pictures... when it started raining. It was a short downpour that magically added to the ambience of the place.

After a brisk walk through the lanes, we encountered this mammoth tree standing like a guardian angel.

KAPOK (Ceiba pentandra) tree  standing from hundreds of years!KAPOK (Ceiba pentandra) tree standing from hundreds of years!

After clicking some more greenery........

As green as it could be!As green as it could be!

we reached the bank of the beautiful Lalbagh lake from where we could hear the din of the water splashing down an artificial waterfall.

The lane to the waterfall...The lane to the waterfall...

On my way to the waterfall, I purchased a delicious roasted whole corn from an old yet beautiful lady selling them in the lane. Believe me, the awesome weather was adding a mouthwatering flavor to my charcoal-cooked dish!  

(There are a few food stalls in the lanes from where you can grab your nibbles.)

The waterfall was about 100 meters away from the platform up to where the visitors are allowed. I took a few more pictures and stopped there in the lap of nature, enjoying my corn in the bare rain showers.

Here, you can see me enjoying my corn :)Here, you can see me enjoying my corn 🙂

I didn’t want to leave that place but the time was ticking and I had a few more places to visit inside. So, I left the waterfall and continued my journey to the Lalbagh Rock. It is estimated that these rocks are at least 3000 million years old!

One can have a wider look from the rock top.One can have a wider look from the rock top.

Climbing them was quite easy except for a few steps that had turned a bit slippery in the rain.

There is also a temple at the top from where you can get a bird's eye view of the city.

Temple like structure of the watchtower built by  Bengaluru's 'founder' Kempe Gowda.Temple like structure of the watchtower built by Bengaluru's 'founder' Kempe Gowda.

I sat there for a while feeling the fresh wind blowing close to my ears refreshing every tissue in my mortal self. The downhill was a narrow lane towards BONSAI GARDEN. I personally love these miniature old trees sitting perfectly in two feet wide tray vases. 

It's beautiful, isn't it?It's beautiful, isn't it?

I even clicked a few macro shots of the beautifully colored flowers.

Can you spot the red centipede?Can you spot the red centipede?Bunch of beautiful colors...Bunch of beautiful colors...Pink blossom...Pink blossom...Lovely red...Lovely red...Peaceful white...Peaceful white...Sunshine Yellow...Sunshine Yellow...

After spending about half an hour on photography in Bonsai Park, it was time for us to leave this awesome place.

Couldn't resist being clicked in front of this fiery red frame... :)Couldn't resist being clicked in front of this fiery red frame... 🙂

We reached Gate No. 4 with heavy hearts, booked a return cab, and bid this awesome place adieu... 

Travelling certainly has its own benefits. Exploring new unseen places, meeting new people from different parts of the world and listening to their stories enhances the way we look and perceive things in our own lives. With this thought I’m ending my story with a good picture I captured from the train. Enjoy it till I’m back with a new travel story some other day… 

Cheers to the upcoming awesome trips and stories......Cheers to the upcoming awesome trips and stories......

I've been a local guide since 2015 but never posted anything on connect.

I’m thankful to @TravellerG who encouraged me to share my short travel story here after I posted a few of the pics in our unofficial Local Guides Group.

Do tell me how you feel looking at these beautiful pictures of my first local guide connect post 🤗😊

42 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Best place to visit in Bangalore : A Few Mesmerizing Hours at Lalbagh Botanical Garden

Hi @SauravBhagat 

Welcome to Connect 🤝

Great pictures from the jewel of Garden City Bengaluru.

Did you cover this huge place in a  single day? 

I lived in the IT capital of India for three years before relocating to Delhi.

Tagging @TravellerG who has previously covered the Lalbagh garden in a way no other local guide has ever done.

Level 7

Re: Best place to visit in Bangalore : A Few Mesmerizing Hours at Lalbagh Botanical Garden

Congratulations on your fist post @SauravBhagat 

I especially love those greens and those mango tree carved. 
Added to my list to visit next time I travel to b’lore. Kindly add the map link it will be helpful for a person like me. 
Overall Brilliant post.🤩

Throw kindness around like confetti's
Level 10

@SauravBhagat Yours welcome very nice pics and descriptions.. go ahead.. congratulations on your first post..waiting for next @TravellerG Also great thanks to TG for encouragement 

With love & regards
JSharma Local Guide Delhi
#Local Guide India
Level 8

Thanks @JSharma  for your kind words. I'm looking forward to posting more frequently from now on🙂

Level 8

Hey @sophie_fusion I'm glad you liked the place through my photographs.  I've now added the map link too 🙂

Level 8

Thank you @Tushar_Suradkar for your kind words. Yes, we covered the place in around 3 hours in a single day as we had to catch our train. 

Connect Moderator

Beautiful photos you shared here. I love the last one the most. Thanks for sharing them here @SauravBhagat 

Level 8

Thank you @Sophia_Cambodia for your appreciation:) I must say you've posted some great content in your feed !!

Connect Moderator