JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Best Practice: Learn to be patient

Page from a calendar - Picture by tigerlily713  on PixabayPage from a calendar - Picture by tigerlily713 on PixabayIf you want to be a local guide for a long period of time and not get overly frustrated, there is a very important character trait you need to develop: patience.

On of the most often heard complaints on Connect is that "I have suggested an edit/sent feedback already days/weeks/months ago, but NOTHING is done with it". I can assure you that this is not true. Feedback is processed, edits are checked, reported duplicate places are merged, but... it takes time. And the duration of that time can be anything from several days to several weeks or several months. Recently a Level 10 local guide even reported that one of his pending edits was finally approved... after 1 full year! So, it is crucial to learn to be patient.

The reason why it can take so long is that, although a huge part of the suggested edits and newly added places are approved or denied by algorithms (when you receive the verdict within seconds), quite a few of things still need to be check by intervention of humans. This can be either a Google team member or a fellow local guide. In the first case, the problem is that the lists of places or edits to be checked is quite long (and they are presumably processed in chronological order), so it can take months before the team member gets to your contribution/feedback.

In the second case - when other local guides need to verify the information you submitted (in the Check the Facts module) - the timing depends on the pure coincidence that a fellow local guide is presented with your contribution to check it. And perhaps this will never happen.

Also for feature requests and changes to the overall system, the same goes: the feedback is processed, some suggested changes are actually made, but it takes a lot of time, so plenty of patience is a needed here too. If you consider the fact that Google is a software company with loads of developers, loads of products (that might have dependencies on other products) and no doubt a lot of testing & QA before new features can be released into the live products, it is quite normal that months go by before we, as end users of those products get to notice any results.

A telling illustration from my personal experience is the missing car brands case. Back in February 2018 I first posted on Connect about the fact that for most popular car brands a separate category existed, but for some car brands there was none - at that time. For half a year, nothing happened, but then early September I noticed that some new car brand categories were available. Woo-hoo!

But the joy was short-lived. Quite quickly, it turned out that the new categories could only be used in the English interface. The result was that my suggested edits in Germany and Belgium (the 2 countries where I make most of my contributions) were approved within seconds by the algorithms, but did not show up in the local language. Fortunately, another healthy dose of patience was the solution also in this case: apparently, some things still needed to be rolled out in other languages, as some weeks later, the limitations I was experiencing had gone. That was the time of the real woo-hoo.

Other posts in this series:

Best Practice: Find new places to add to the map

Best Practice: Fix inconsistencies in chains

Best Practice: Find the right category

Best Practice: Reporting duplicates

Best Practice: Industrial Zones

Disclaimer: the practices described here as best practice are my personal interpretation, based on my hands-on experience as local guide, and I don't claim any level of official endorsement.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
8 comments
Level 10

Re: Best Practice: Learn to be patient

Connect Moderator

True, @JanVanHaver

We already discussed about patience, Jan. We make an edit, we know the business, so we expect our edit to be approved NOW.

Sometimes is difficult to explain that the consistency of an edit is not depending of what we add, not only, at least.

We wrote several times about this, and I said that I personally prefer to have my edits denied, instead of a door open for spammers. Most of my recent edits have been approved almost instantly, but I still having edits pending, that slowly are approved, after weeks of months.

So I know exactly what you mean.

Patience is the secret. I agree

Level 8

A helpful article. 

By the way, when you write 'In the fist case, the' - you probably mean 'in the first case'. When you write, 'A telling illustration form my personal experience' - you probably mean  'from my personal experience'.

Auto-correct is a mixed blessing, nu?

SDG

Stephen Gard | The BlueDawe Studio
Level 8

Very well written, @JanVanHaver.

Connect Moderator

Thank you very much @StephenGard for reporting the typo's. I have corrected them now.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

You are right @JanVanHaver!

I must admit that personally I sometimes forget the reports sent, perhaps because actually sometimes it passes so much time (and I talk about months and not days) that obviously I have no more memories about it.
But of this I do not make a problem, I understand very well the amount of work behind all the reports sent daily by all users of Maps.
It is therefore right for the employees to take the time necessary to carry out all the necessary checks: what is needed is the accuracy of the information we are looking for on Maps!

I know ... a lot of patience for us and a good job at Google!

Bye,

David

Former Google Contributor

Thank you for explaining the benefits of patience regarding the Google Maps edits, @JanVanHaver. This will be very handy when we try explaining them to other Local Guides that are in a hurry.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

That is my goal, @IrrPavlova: to write posts that have 'evergreen' content which can then be used to links to whenever the need arises.