JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Best Practice: Find new places to add to the map

Adding a place to Google Maps is very satisfying for at least two reasons: 1) you get the feeling of really enriching the map with information that people will soon be using, and 2) it brings a whopping 15 points (which is an indication that the Google team wants to incentivize local guides to add missing places). But is's not easy to find places that have not yet been added to the map. However, although most places are already on the map, not all are. And new shops are being opened in every city and village quite frequently, so it is just a matter of finding them.

One of the shops I added earlier today in Aalst (Belgium)One of the shops I added earlier today in Aalst (Belgium)

The first thing you need to do to find missing places is move away from the 'Check the Facts' and 'Add Missing Information' modes. Although both of those can be very useful to work on the POIs (points of interest) which are already on the map, they are no good to uncover missing places. Instead, simply open the map and explore the neighborhood where you are at that moment. I prefer to do that in satellite mode, but standard mode also works fine. This allows you to easily notice if a POI that you see in front of you is not showing up on the map. But beware: the mere fact that it does not show up, does not mean that it is not listed yet, as not all POIs are shown to all Google Maps users all the time. To be sure it is really missing, you can enter the POI name in the search box. If no results (or no nearby results) show up, you have probably found a missing place... so 15 points are up for grabs!

If the POI you are adding this way is in a shopping area or shopping street, there is a good chance that it was missing because the place has opened relatively recently. Which often implies there was another POI on that same address before this one opened. So, make sure to also check the map for any businesses on that same location/address that are no longer there when you visit the area. Checking the street view images can often be revealing here, as those might still show the old POI. Finding this old POI and marking it as 'Permanently closed' will bring you another 5 points.

Another useful tip in your quest for missing places: pay attention to signs that indicate a POI is new. Some examples:

• extremely crisp & clean looking shops (even well-maintained shops show signs of aging after a while - and if the crisp look turns out to be the result of renovation instead of a new place, make sure to check if there is already a picture with this new look!)
  • a parking lot which is still partly fenced off
  • areas for plants in the parking lot that have no plants yet or very young trees
  • balloons at the entrance

For areas you pass by regularly, you can also plan ahead and start collecting information about places where new shops might be opening soon. You could even make a personal map with those on Google Maps. Some good sources of information for finding those:

• houses in shopping areas that were for sale and are now marked as 'sold'
  • announcements in local newspapers
  • groups on social media that focus on what is happening in a town or neighborhood

One final piece of advice: if the missing POI that you have just added belongs to a chain, make sure to check out the website for the chain to see where other shops are located. The fact that one of the shops was missing, probably means that the business owners are not very Google-Maps-savvy, so perhaps other shops are also missing (check if the have a 'recent openings' section!) or almost certainly at least some of the other shops will have missing information (typically opening hours and/or telephone number) that you can add with the data from the website.

Other posts in this series:

Best Practice: Fix inconsistencies in chains

Best Practice: Learn to be patient

Best Practice: Find the right category

Best Practice: Reporting duplicates

Best Practice: Industrial Zones

Disclaimer: the practices described here as best practice are my personal interpretation, based on my hands-on experience as local guide, and I don't claim any level of official endorsement.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Best Practice: Find new places to add to the map

@aka_Rὁn kudoes for inspiring one of the ideas mentioned here (creating personal maps in your local area).

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 7

Re: Best Practice: Find new places to add to the map

@JanVanHaver

Thank you for this but I probably should have mentioned that my experience of creating local lists was not exactly a positive one and my updating of a shared list either triggered an automated spam-bot to start deleting some of the entries or (perhaps far worse) someone else was able to tamper with the list because it was shared.

Another factor was that the first list had over 100 entries and was meant to record all of the places in our local community which were on Google Maps.

I managed to add about 110 before the entries on the list started to disappear rapidly at a rate of between 5 and 15 at a time until I was only left with about 10 and so I finally decided to delete that list altogether.

As I could get absolutely no technical advice about this I decided to create a series of lists instead on a block-by-block basis and have only shared one of them in public so far, there are almost 20 of them that are currently marked as private at the moment and which have remained completely intact.

Finding new places around our neighbourhood isn't that difficult but getting them added to Google Maps has been a continual nightmare which might have something to do with the time it takes for the businesses that previously occupied the same premises to be finally marked as "closed" or "moved".

As a damaged list can be difficult to reconstitute from memory I heartily recommend that you start with creating an HTML page on your phone and/or desktop that contains all the URLs to the individual locations on Google Maps so that you can add them back again if they go missing.

I only wish that I had in some way documented all of the missing places that I tried to add back in August and which (apart from one) were all rejected.

One of the constant problems with both Google Maps and the Local Connect forum is that so many resources can be secretly and silently be deleted behind the scenes without any prior warning and without subsequent notification in any form even though the status of most of our other updates is usually confirmed via e-mail.

That is why that link to our rejected contributions page has turned out to be extraordinarily useful. 

If other Local Guides start to create their own lists then I hope they will be allowed to report any problems they have with sudden unexpected deletions.

There is plenty of scope for a wide range of individual lists which could be divided into useful categories for local communities.

The  computer-generated " For You" recommendations that I have seen on my own account are almost entirely irrelevant as they tend to be dominated by far too many places on the other side of town while totally ignoring those closer to home.

There is an option to sort that "For You" list by proximity but I have only seen it work in a minority of cases and so I don't know if anyone has been able to report it as a bug.

This is yet another  interesting idea that probably looked good on the drawing-board which could have been implemented far better than it has been and so there is plenty of scope for Local Guides to create their own "For You" type of lists in their local communities.

Please forgive the rather lengthy response but I believe in providing others with the full facts and hope that others will do the same so I am less perplexed when the system does not seem to work as advertised.

Good Luck,

Ron

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■