UchechukwuEnem's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Benue State- Basket Food of the Nation

Benue State is at the Central Zone of Nigeria. It is called the Basket Food of the Nation because they are the highest and richest in food production in the Country. Travelling from Awka to Makurdi, the Capital of Benue State was an adventure for me because I saw natural beauty and natural skills of farmers and builders. I love travelling a lot and Benue State gave me a hit. It was about 6 hrs drive from Awka and off course, the Google Map was very helpful especially when we were about to divert to Makurdi through Aliade Junction. I have passed that Junction several times to Taraba State but didn’t know it also lead to Makurdi.

Any tourist visiting Benue State, has a story to tell. Benue State is known for her hospitality to visitors. They are predominately Farmers and off course, can’t have issues with hunger but with other physical and social needs. I consumed their different species of mangoes and oranges. It’s so sweet. It’s the sweetest I have ever tasted.

I tell my friends that they don’t know what they have till they lose it. This is just how I will describe Benue State with other states in Nigeria. At the outskirt, I saw mud houses and how the people constructed red bricks. I encountered the burning of the bricks and saw how it was used to build houses. It’s really very creative. The worst above all is the feeling of seeing young students having their classrooms on mud houses, under the trees or even in a very small block of class room. I felt so bad and wished I could become a billionaire over night to help these poor children. At first, I felt pity over the schools and classrooms in Sapele which went viral in Nigeria; but after seeing these young children suffering, I cried over the bad government and leadership in the country. I know education is the most basic social needs but we all lack it somehow in our various states and countries especially in remote areas. Not just for the students but for the teachers too. I really wonder how they will feel teaching in that kind of environment and situation. I felt so bad and it went to my bone marrow I must confess.

IMG_5640rrr.jpg

Entering into Makurdi city was another adventure for me, I felt it was the biggest city ever and this time, I had the opportunity to tour round the city. The last time I visited, I didn’t do anything and had less interest in such places maybe because my travelling spirit wasn’t so strong. Benue State is really big and beautiful. They have so many bars, relaxation and fun catching centers. They have beautiful roundabouts showing their lasting cultural heritage. The roads in Makurdi are fairly good and it is a place to really visit. Along Northbank road, I was able to take pictures of their weaving and materials which I already have but decided to got two extra, making it a total of four in numbers.

Am rocking Idoma Cultural attire in Benue State... How do i Look?Am rocking Idoma Cultural attire in Benue State... How do i Look?Youths Presents cultural dance in their cultural attireYouths Presents cultural dance in their cultural attire

I visited the old bridge which has a very unique and creative composition. The bridge has a rail path and a road path too for both cars and rail. It is an old bridge but very unique and beautiful. At the bridge, you could see Benue Hotel, a hotel that resembles Sheraton Hotel of Abuja. I enjoyed the sight and wished I could take a picture with at the bridge but I was running out of time.

The bridge: Road path, Rail path and Benue Hotel at the right hand sideThe bridge: Road path, Rail path and Benue Hotel at the right hand side

My journey became gloomy when I visited two burial grounds. The First one is called ‘Se Sugh Maria Ayati Pilgrimage Center’ meaning ‘Hail Mary Ayati’, where the 17 Christians were buried. They were killed along with two priests in the Church during Mass by some gunmen. The pilgrimage center is on top of the mountain. So climbing it will need so much energy. At the top of the pilgrimage center, you could see cars and vehicles passing. It is really very hilly indeed. We also visited Guma/ Logo LGA where 73 Christians massacred by Fulani Herdsmen on 1st/ 2nd January, 2018 were buried. It was a sad experience for me. We said some prayers at both grave sites and we departed for a community, called Agan.

On my Tiv cultural wear at Se Sugh U Maria Pilgrimage Center, AyatiOn my Tiv cultural wear at Se Sugh U Maria Pilgrimage Center, AyatiThe 73 victims burial groundThe 73 victims burial groundGroup photograph at the burial site of the 73 victimsGroup photograph at the burial site of the 73 victims

At Agan, I visited Our Lady of Consolation Secondary School, it was a school built by the Catholic Bishop of Makurdi, Bishop Wilfred, to console the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs). The School was built for the IDPs which also has a hostel. I felt so consoled too that such school exists with large number f students and even large compound. It Is a two story building with many blocks and at the end of the visit, we took pictures with the students. In the same compound, I visited the church fish ponds and poultry. At the end, we took pictures with the IDPs and we departed.

With students of Our Lady of Consolation Secondary School, AganWith students of Our Lady of Consolation Secondary School, Agan

At the end of my stay in Benue, I was offered so many gifts. The Communications Department in Makurdi Diocese gave us a beautiful frame called, ‘Se Sugh U Maria’ Frame, a Holy gift with cultural representation. I also received Benue attire as a gift. I also received mangoes, oranges and tubers of yam.

Tubers of yam and oranges. They have the biggest yam size in Nigeria  especially in Kastina Ala of Benue StateTubers of yam and oranges. They have the biggest yam size in Nigeria especially in Kastina Ala of Benue State

My trip was all splendid and it ended with a social night gala party to which I was called to lighten up the stage with my dance steps. I ate sweet fish, drank wine and soft drinks. I also ate potatoes chips, took fruits salad and lots more. Prior to the social night, I visited Doo bar and I ate Cricket meal for the first time in my life. It was really very tasty and pepperish.

Benue cultural capBenue cultural capIMG_20190326_180732_9rrr.jpgCricket meal. You need to try this local guides!Cricket meal. You need to try this local guides!

The Journey is called for a repetition… Thank you @olastephen 

Join me to explore Benue State, the Basket food of the Nation! @Sagir , @U-royFelixA , @ErmesT , @Julien44 , @HelloSamsonR 

Awka, Nigeria
7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Benue State- Basket Food of the Nation

@UchechukwuEnem 

Thank you for taking me by the hand and accompanied on your visit on Benue State.

I am watching through your eyes, walking with your words. And tasting with my eyes, but this is not enough, even if I can smell Cricket meal from your photo.

Where you see a classroom in a mud house, I see a lot of students that want to learn. I applaud the teachers who want to continue to do their work, even in such difficult conditions.

I am learning a lot from this post. I am also learning that mangoes and oranges can really be sweets, this is something that we forget, living in Europe.

Thank you for surprising me. Please write more

Level 10

Hi @UchechukwuEnem ,

Thanks for tagging me!

I enjoyed a lot reading your post and discovering Benue State.

Hopefully, I will get the chzcha to visit it one day.

Have a nice day and see you around.

Jul

Level 7

@UchechukwuEnem well captured, more powers to your elbows  

Level 10

@UchechukwuEnem  Thank you for the comprehensive recap. I can’t wait to be in Benue 🤣🤣🤣

Level 10

What an amazing recap @UchechukwuEnem . Thanks for sharing your amazing experience with us. Benue next on my bucket list.

P.S

I don't eat crickets 🙈

Level 5

This is awesome @UchechukwuEnem  Thank you very much on Behalf of Benue

Computer programmer and google tech enthusiast
Anonymous
Not applicable

This content has been removed.