Eire27's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

BUTTERFLIES

Butterflies, I love them, they always make me happy. I do not live in a very hot country but I think maybe in hot countries there are many colours of butterflies. This is a photo of the most common one where I livemulti-coloured_butterflies (1).jpg

Ireland
27 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: BUTTERFLIES

IMG_20180804_104536833_crop_642x468.jpg

@Eire27 Actually, some species that used to live only in warmer countries are now showing up I  colder ones. This particular one used to be seen in southern Europe, but now I have seen it several times already in the middle of Germany (where this picture was taken a week or so ago)

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 8

Hi @JanVanHaver  That's very interesting, I live in Ireland and in July we had the hottest weather since the 1970s and we had many strange insects, spiders and huge jelly fish in the ocean too. Maybe climate change in the world has them all moving around new countries

Level 10

Very nice butterfly photos @Eire27 and @JanVanHaver  If I may, I'll add my photos taken today (Aug 21, 2018), at Abma Farms in Wykoff, NJ. The butterfly shown is a Monarch which is fairly common in this region at this time of year. They migrate 2,000 miles to here, and up into Canada, from their Mexico wintering grounds. I have read recently that their population has declined by more than 90% in the past 20 years. The  chief reason for the decline is caused by a reduction of available Milkweed plant. The Milkweed plant is the primary food source for both Monarch caterpillars as well as the adult butterflies. Apparently, the widespread use of herbicides, loss of open land and other eco related changes have led to this loss of Milkweed. So lets enjoy the Monarch while it's still around.  Thanks for starting the thread @Eire27

20180821_123816~2.jpgMonarch butterfly - Abma Farms, Wykoff, NJMonarch butterfly - Abma Farms, Wykoff, NJMonarch butterfly -  Abma Farms, Wykoff, NJMonarch butterfly - Abma Farms, Wykoff, NJ@ilanAbecassis  @Rjshagor @LucioV

Monarch butterfly - Abmas Farm, Wyckoff,  NJMonarch butterfly - Abmas Farm, Wyckoff, NJ

Monarch butterfly- Abmas Farm, Wyckoff. NJMonarch butterfly- Abmas Farm, Wyckoff. NJ

Level 8

When we were living in Kinshasa, Congo, my daughter and I found this cool prickly caterpillar in a park.  We brought it to our garden and after a few days of eating leaves it changed to a pupae.  We observed every day and after 11 days it emerged into a beautiful butterfly.  The different stages can be seen in the composite photo below and you can follow the whole story in this series of photos. 

Congo butterfly metamorphosisCongo butterfly metamorphosis

Level 6

Beautiful 

Level 10

Woops everyone. My apologies. Without realizing it, the magician inside my computer flipped my photos sideways and I didn't catch it before I posted. Sorry for that. You'll have to pretend that in New Jersey the flowers grow sideways. The butterfly is the focus of the picture in any event.   

Level 10

Very interesting series of photographs and nice photography work @Nick-Hobgood  My hat is off to you.

Regards @Koby

@Eire27 @Rohit9 @JanVanHaver

Level 10

Wow, I love butterflies! This was running against my daughter (he was really scared 😄 ) some days ago

Level 8

Hi @Nick-Hobgood  Wow, This is Amazing! Wonderful photos and a great experience for your daughter to see nature and see the catapillar turn into a butterfly in real life ☺ Thanks for sharing