KinWanGoGo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Attractions in BHUTAN...Part-4 : Hike to Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Choeten

Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Choeten (Choeten=Stupa) is a three-stories Buddhist stupa built with unique Bhutanese architecture. It is located on top of one of the valleys in Punakha. Punakha is one of the 20 districts in Bhutan.

This stupa is about 20-30 minutes hike from the nearest accessible road. The hike starts by crossing a suspension bridge, walk through the beautiful rice field and then through a small peaceful forest before reaching the stupa.

In the midway of the hike, there is a resting place with prayer wheel where we can earn merits while taking rest.

After reaching the stupa, we can get inside the stupa of each floor. All the floors are filled with sacred statues and religious paintings where we can offer our prayers. We can even get to the rooftop of the 3rd floor which is a wonderful viewpoint. From this viewpoint, we can get a marvelous view of Punakha valleys as well as the scenic view of turns and twists of Mo Chhu(Mo=female and Chhu=river). Mo Chhu is a tributary of Punatsang Chhu, which is one of the major rivers in Bhutan.

Links to attractions in BHUTAN

Part-1 : Tiger's Nest

Part-2 : Buddha Dordenma Statue
Part-3 : Punakha Suspension Bridge

CD9DD36C-E33F-429E-8A7E-242911406850.jpeg

A suspension bridge at the starting point of the hike.A suspension bridge at the starting point of the hike.

EB92FCD5-3A56-4777-BFDC-7C4372B49F63.jpeg

Rice field and the view of two traditional Bhutanese houses on the way to the Stupa.Rice field and the view of two traditional Bhutanese houses on the way to the Stupa.

E1639F90-06DE-450E-B125-77F90AA98985.jpeg

A footpath through a small forest before reaching the Stupa.A footpath through a small forest before reaching the Stupa.

874C83FF-7E96-4D72-937C-0B653B57C4D0.jpeg

03B78DD4-0E0B-4C91-8C11-8A4D5E74A5F6.jpeg

9B44202E-5E72-427D-A35F-080F0E8AB74A.jpeg

B27FFF80-CDB4-4003-9428-63E69B290B7F.jpeg

61FF13D7-979B-4CC3-B41F-513675A56421.jpeg

B0D63241-0B24-4D27-A50C-F9517BCAE90F.jpeg

The view of turns and twists of Mo Chhu river from the top of the Stupa.The view of turns and twists of Mo Chhu river from the top of the Stupa.

View from the top of the Stupa.View from the top of the Stupa.

D4FF95D1-8036-454D-9FFC-E479822DCE21.jpeg

DEB35030-7A16-46B7-90CB-174F33A65E10.jpeg

Myself wearing my national dress(Gho)Myself wearing my national dress(Gho)

Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Temple, Thimphu-Punakha Highway, Bhutan
13 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Attractions in BHUTAN...Part-4 : Hike to Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Chorten

Hi @KinWanGoGo.

Thank you for the exquisite photos. It is really a pleasure to be able to experience Bhutan through the lens of a experienced photographer.

Would you share with us the equipment you used in the first photo?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Level 8

Re: Attractions in BHUTAN...Part-4 : Hike to Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Chorten

Hi @sonnyNg Thanks for your kind encouragement. I used Gopro Hero 6 for that first photo. I like Gopro because it is small and very powerful camera which helps me to capture wide angle photos.

Google Moderator

Re: Attractions in BHUTAN...Part-4 : Hike to Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Choeten

Hi @KinWanGoGo,

Thank you for this informative and amazing post! 

I've never been to Bhutan, but it looks like a country of great variety and rich culture. Your photos say so much, I got completely immersed in this beautiful countryside and lost myself among the Buddhist monuments.

I'm curious, though, why is Mo Chhu a female river? What makes a river male or female?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Hello @DeniGu Thank you so much for your wonderful comments and a question about the river.

The picture below is a screenshot from Google map showing both Mo Chhu and Pho Chhu joining together to form Punatsangchhu river.76A8A08B-91E0-426A-AD13-85283BC08E62.jpeg

First of all, let me explain the nature of flow of both the rivers. The flow of Mo Chhu is smooth and quiet while the flow of the Pho Chhu is rough and noisy. Generally, women are gentle, sweet, caring, etc whereas men are masculine, rough, etc.  Due to these resemblances, the name of the rivers were given as Mo Chhu(female river) and Pho Chhu(male river).

Hope that I’ve answered your question.🙂🙂🙂

Level 9

Hello @KinWanGoGo

Thank you for your wonderful post.

I have seen all of your post, i like Bhutan's natural beauty.

Google Moderator

Your answer explains everything perfectly, @KinWanGoGo. 🙂 Thank you!

It's so interesting how sometimes physical characteristics of natural formations and elements are thought of as resembling the human character or humans in general. There are some rock formations in Bulgaria, for example, which are given names such as The Bride, The Groom, The Grandfather, and more.

Is it a common practice in Bhutan to name rivers, rocks or other natural things after people/animals?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Looks absolutely fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

Level 7

Hi @KinWanGoGo. thanks for your great pics. so beautiful place.

Level 8

Hello Guys! @AbdullahAM @DeniGu @MikkoTyllinen @rasool-sadegy  Thank you all for wonderful comments. It is a great encouragement to write more in days come.
@DeniGu We do have but not very common 🙂